Active duty switch from from heavy to fighter

I’ve heard it’s possible but rare to switch to an airframe in another command. For example, switching from Air Mobility Command to Air Combat Command. I’m interested in flying fighters at some point in my aviation career: any fighter or being an instructor in the T-38 or T-7 when that comes out. But, I tracked T-1s. I’m happy and excited to fly heavies but it’s always been my dream to fly fighters for a little bit of my career at least. 
Would it increase my chances of switching over to a fighter if I dropped a special operations aircraft or an aircraft in Air Combat Command like the EC-130 which is switching to the E-37 soon, MC-130, HC-130, RC-135, etc? I’d also be interested in possibly switching over to bombers if that allowed me to fly the T-38 or T-7 or being an instructor in AETC or some other command for the T-38 or T-7. I know the Air Force is short on instructor pilots. 
Is it easier for one of the commands to switch aircrafts in your career? I would like to fly 2-3 or more aircraft in my long time in the Air Force if possible. 

• Upvote 1

Possible? Anything is possible but its incredibly rare and so unlikely its not worth planning a career out of it. In my 14 years AD they only had one crossflow window, that was only available to a very small audience of eligible pilots (based on their time on station, duration of PCS, years of service etc...) and they only selected an incredibly small number of people. The fighter community generally doesn't have an interest in taking crossflows and has found it has worked better for them to suffer undermanned than to deal with perceived cultural friction. There is probably some merit to some of this, a lot of the rest is probably ball wash, regardless, the AF has by and large decided it is not a good idea.

Being a heavy pilot isn't all that bad. Its a pretty hefty pay raise when you account for all of the per diem dollars of being on the road constantly. You will lead earlier in your career because you will actually have enlisted aircrew hanging around the squadron. You will have a slightly easier time transitioning airlines as your experience is more relevant, dont need to worry about centerline thrust restrictions and that bullshit. You get to go to some cool places fighter dudes never see, like St John's. 

My best advice is to discount the possibility of crossflow for now because in the near term you have an incredibly important decision to make regarding the platforms that are available to you--and fighters aren't one of them. Whether crossflow happens again or not, your success in life is largely going to depend on your ability to fly the platform you earn out of UPT. So you should look at the mission sets that are available to you and decide what you find interesting, what you can see yourself doing long term. Read the airframe and mission thread and ask your IPs. Air Refueling, Airlift, C2ISR, SOF, etc.... they all have pros and cons. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Still an incredibly slim chance, but FAIPing T-6s would be your best bet. If you do that and kick ass, and have the right timing and commander, you may have a shot. Still incredibly rare, but it’s not unprecedented. 2nd best bet is to fly heavies, then U-2, B-2, or B-21 (depending on how they staff it and if they use the -38 or 7 as a companion trainer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPS is probably your only route to fly a fighter. Teach UPT and/or get into the U-2 or B-2 as other options to fly 38s…but you should be going to those because you want to fly those aircraft/missions, not as an alternate way to go fly a 38. Anything beyond what I just mentioned might as well be purged from your mind, ain’t going to happen on AD, and still very small odds in the guard. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jasonrockly said:

Would it increase my chances of switching over to a fighter if I dropped a special operations aircraft or an aircraft in Air Combat Command like the EC-130 which is switching to the E-37 soon

No.  Pick those planes because you want to fly those missions.  I can't speak to ACC, but if you pick AFSOC you are picking AFSOC.

Edited by HU&W

Pick based on mission and you’ll be happy. And even if you don’t get your choice, you’ll love where you end up unless you’re just a miserable person then it won’t make a difference where you go.

If you’re interested in single pilot flying out of the T-1 track, I’d lean into U-28 because that community is going OA-1K and that’s only going to have a single pilot. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

Possible? Anything is possible but its incredibly rare and so unlikely its not worth planning a career out of it. In my 14 years AD they only had one crossflow window, that was only available to a very small audience of eligible pilots (based on their time on station, duration of PCS, years of service etc...) and they only selected an incredibly small number of people. The fighter community generally doesn't have an interest in taking crossflows and has found it has worked better for them to suffer undermanned than to deal with perceived cultural friction. There is probably some merit to some of this, a lot of the rest is probably ball wash, regardless, the AF has by and large decided it is not a good idea.

Being a heavy pilot isn't all that bad. Its a pretty hefty pay raise when you account for all of the per diem dollars of being on the road constantly. You will lead earlier in your career because you will actually have enlisted aircrew hanging around the squadron. You will have a slightly easier time transitioning airlines as your experience is more relevant, dont need to worry about centerline thrust restrictions and that bullshit. You get to go to some cool places fighter dudes never see, like St John's. 

My best advice is to discount the possibility of crossflow for now because in the near term you have an incredibly important decision to make regarding the platforms that are available to you--and fighters aren't one of them. Whether crossflow happens again or not, your success in life is largely going to depend on your ability to fly the platform you earn out of UPT. So you should look at the mission sets that are available to you and decide what you find interesting, what you can see yourself doing long term. Read the airframe and mission thread and ask your IPs. Air Refueling, Airlift, C2ISR, SOF, etc.... they all have pros and cons. 

This is the best advice you’re going to get. I’ll also offer - do your best to love the one you’re with / bloom where you are planted. Once you start learning your mission set it becomes easier to become integrated with the community and enjoy the mission without looking back. 

Please don’t be the new guy who shows up day one telling everyone he doesn’t want to be there. It’s really hard to recover from that, and many communities even in the mobility world are quite proud. I am not saying you will do that but I’ve seen it rather often with young bucks. 

I was a 38 to mobility guy. At first I was pretty disappointed but I did my best to accept it and move on before I got to my first unit. If you do not like your mission, still knock it out of the park and there are many options to try something else. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Muscle2002 said:

It is almost certain that he would only fly a fighter during the course and then go back to heavies for his test assignments. 

Checks. When I was mulling making a packet for TPS circa 10 years ago, part of the research and timely mentorship from good folks clued me in to the factoid they stovepipe you to your core ID for both entry consideration and follow-on. So I would have eventually been assigned to the MWS I was trying to escape. That was of course a non-starter for me, so I thanked my sponsor for his time and pulled my app.

Anything is possible. People on this board have made similar mid-career pivots. The things that matter: luck, timing, valuable contributions as a pilot & bro, and playing the game well.  I’ve seen U-28 guys end up in vipers, KC-135 folks flying Strike Eagles, and C-17 dudes fly fat Amy. Most pilots never change lanes (in that direction), though.

Work hard, contribute, play the game, and be judicious in who you trust with your career. You’ll know if the moment comes.

As an aside, I’m sitting here a little jealous of your clear road to an HC-130 (what a cool mission!) or EC-37 (fresh paint; big changes) Lots of neat options for you out there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jice said:

Anything is possible. People on this board have made similar mid-career pivots. The things that matter: luck, timing, valuable contributions as a pilot & bro, and playing the game well.  I’ve seen U-28 guys end up in vipers, KC-135 folks flying Strike Eagles, and C-17 dudes fly fat Amy. Most pilots never change lanes (in that direction), though.

Work hard, contribute, play the game, and be judicious in who you trust with your career. You’ll know if the moment comes.

As an aside, I’m sitting here a little jealous of your clear road to an HC-130 (what a cool mission!) or EC-37 (fresh paint; big changes) Lots of neat options for you out there.

For those people you knew who switched over, did someone come to them and ask if they wanted a slot, or did they just post a transfer board up that notified the eligible people? Or did those people have some high ranking contact or know someone high up in AFPC who was able to make a change for them? 

For those people you knew who switched over, did someone come to them and ask if they wanted a slot, or did they just post a transfer board up that notified the eligible people? Or did those people have some high ranking contact or know someone high up in AFPC who was able to make a change for them? 

Dude, based on your SA, you shouldn’t be flying anything. Several of us posted your options, and you apparently didn’t bother to read any of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Dude, based on your SA, you shouldn’t be flying anything. Several of us posted your options, and you apparently didn’t bother to read any of them.

I read them all and was grateful for the responses. Just didn’t have any questions about the other responses. 

Do you want the truth?  If you go from a T-1 tracked heavy to a fighter on AD, I'll let you bang my brother's fat wife, lol.   

Test pilot doesn't equal fighters.

The only real shot you have is to invent a time machine, go back and time and track 38s.  Lol.   

Do the best wherever you end up.   Don't  carry the "I should have had fighters" chip on your shoulder.  Learn your mission, fly and kick ass when/if needed.   Don't be a douche.   Take care of your people . Make connections with dudes you meet from other MWSs. When your ADSC is approaching, and you still wanna fly faster than sound (if you wanna fly backwards, call helicopter units), start reaching out those dudes from other MWSs you know.  I bet a few of them will probably be flying fighters in Guard or Reserve  squadrons somewhere.  Start calling them and see if it's an option.   Be the best at your job (flying and banging whores) and enjoy flying military aircraft.  They are all uniquely military.   You will do cool shit, even in heavies.  

P.S. 

You will find way more whores flying around the world on the regular, than flying around the flag pole.  

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure
  • Haha 1

It was a publicized board and not an individual thing. There was one guy from each heavy community that went to each fighter. For example, a KC-135 guy went Raptor. I think a C-17 guy went Strikes. 

OP, in all honesty getting to a fighter from your current position is a pipe dream in today’s AF. I’ve watched -38 trained dudes that dropped bombers try their entire career to get into a fighter and still, despite how good of a bro/pilot they were, not be able to get a guard unit to hire them. You’re talking moving from T-1 trained to fighters. To be honest, your best option would be to DOR and see if a navy/marine reserve unit would hire you (although there might be a rule against that). I’m not trying to be harsh, I’m telling you the facts as I know them. However, you never know what the future will bring. When we start trading shots with China big blue may take anyone with a pulse to fighters.

The previous advice of trying to go OA-1K is solid. Based on current timeline you might want to push for T-6 FAIP while that comes online (you’ll have to ask around about that).

The key takeaway for you though is that if you don’t come to terms with the fact you’re most likely never going to be a fighter pilot and start focusing on the here and now, you’re screwed. The other guys have mentioned it, but no chach that walked into a heavy squadron telling everyone he shoulda been a fighter pilot ever got the opportunity to cross flow.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

When we start trading shots with China big blue may take anyone with a pulse to fighters

So you're saying there's a chance? Lol.  

To be honest, your best option would be to DOR and see if a navy/marine reserve unit would hire you 

Please-dont-do-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

😬

Seriously OP, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Knock out a solid ADSC, try to fly as much as you can, scoff the qweep. If you're still so inclined, reconsider your interest in making such a transition later down the road. If (likely) the options are not there, go get a higher paying civilian flying job with that mil experience and buy an RV-(n), and put this chapter of life behind ya. At least that was my plan if I couldn't reach escape velocity from the assignment before my RSC expired. 

There's ways you can mine this situation and pivot a net gain, even if it's not your dream job.You've been given good gouge on the non-standard options on the heavy track upthread already. Consider mulling those alternatives as you move forward. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve known a few mobility pilots and one AFSOC pilot who crossed to fighters.  Without exception, they all did T38s and the ones from my own UPT class that crossed were near the top of our class (very few fighter drops when I went to UPT).  

You are already flying T1s.  Fighters are not your future.  Do your job.   Do it well.  Your good deal opportunities will come from a combination of:

1.  Luck

2. Timing

3. Sponsorship

4. Relationships

5.  Reputation

6. Skill

Often, but not always, in that order.  

• Upvote 1

My first KC-10 CC was an AD AF helicopter pilot cross flow.   When I went to Rucker, I was able to find his class photo on the wall.  He cross flowed in the 90s though.   I flew with a few other dudes who went from AD fixed wing to rotary wing.  But once again, they did this in the 90’s.   The point is to confirm with what’s previously been stated.  It’s all luck and timing, even with crazy cross flows.  Don’t get your hopes up, its not looking like they’re down sizing heavy units and riffing pilots anymore, but you never know? 

Edited by Biff_T

On 5/6/2023 at 8:35 PM, hindsight2020 said:

Please-dont-do-it GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

😬

Seriously OP, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Knock out a solid ADSC, try to fly as much as you can, scoff the qweep. If you're still so inclined, reconsider your interest in making such a transition later down the road. If (likely) the options are not there, go get a higher paying civilian flying job with that mil experience and buy an RV-(n), and put this chapter of life behind ya. At least that was my plan if I couldn't reach escape velocity from the assignment before my RSC expired. 

Worked for me.  With what the airlines are paying today, I would suggest an Extra.

Edited by Springer
  • Upvote 1

Just my 2 cents but there is very good tactical flying to be found in many heavy and afsoc communities with the added benefit of not destroying your neck and back with g's. My advice, go embrace whatever community you end up in and do your best. If you spend your career with one foot out the door trying to scheme your way into a fighter slot, you will be embarking on an exercise in futility, and it will torpedo your performance and focus for your actual current flying job. 

Nothing short of being an astronaut will beat the allure of flying the fastest, shiniest new toys, or the cultural cool factor of being able to call yourself a fighter pilot.  But it's also clear that allure wears off over time because fighter pilots separate at rates equal to or higher than everyone else.