Active duty switch from from heavy to fighter

Go to AFSOC.  Fly armed overwatch in an Air Tractor.  

That's probably the coolest thing the AF has invested in recently.   

Wherever you end up, dont tell them your baseops.net name....or let them know you asked this question to bunch of dudes on baseops.  They may question your judgment.  Lol

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:21 PM, Danger41 said:

If you’re interested in single pilot flying out of the T-1 track, I’d lean into U-28 because that community is going OA-1K and that’s only going to have a single pilot. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:40 PM, Boomer6 said:

The previous advice of trying to go OA-1K is solid. Based on current timeline you might want to push for T-6 FAIP while that comes online (you’ll have to ask around about that).

21 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Go to AFSOC.  Fly armed overwatch in an Air Tractor.  

That's probably the coolest thing the AF has invested in recently.   

Drifting from the thread topic a bit, and somewhat outta my lane of experience.  But I won't believe the fairy tales about squadrons of armed Air Tractors until they are no-shit sitting on an Air Force ramp somewhere.

Yeah yeah, I know contracts signed, and development ongoing, and all that.  At one point there was going to be a bunch of C-27Js in Air Force markings, too.....

Just now, Blue said:

Drifting from the thread topic a bit, and somewhat outta my lane of experience.  But I won't believe the fairy tales about squadrons of armed Air Tractors until they are no-shit sitting on an Air Force ramp somewhere.

Yeah yeah, I know contracts signed, and development ongoing, and all that.  At one point there was going to be a bunch of C-27Js in Air Force markings, too.....

Dont start crushing dreams so soon my man lol. 

You are right to feel that way.  Dont believe it until you're flying one.  

It would have been cool if the AF picked up those 47s we almost got. The AF flying Chinooks would have been sick.   Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Biff_T said:

Dont start crushing dreams so soon my man lol. 

You are right to feel that way.  Dont believe it until you're flying one.  

It would have been cool if the AF picked up those 47s we almost got. The AF flying Chinooks would have been sick.   Oh well. 

Chinooks flying as Pave Low would’ve been friggin cool. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bigred said:

Chinooks flying as Pave Low would’ve been friggin cool. 

I just got a 1/4 chub. Lol

• Haha 2

Just a comment...  and maybe not directly related.  But something to consider anyways.  

I got to know a whole bunch of pilots from all Services over the years, many of them at the Reno Air Races.  We formed group that chats online.  The bulk are Navy pilots; there's a lot of Marines too; and only a few of us from the AF.

Last week, the discussion centered around some health issues.  Nearly every one of the single-seat pilots that had served 20 years said that they are in varying levels of constant pain, due mainly to spinal or neck issues.  Some of the stories are eye-opening.  This matches my experience.  I've got about 7,000 hours in ejection seats, and 4,000 of that is in the T-38A with a 35 lbs parachute on my back.  My neck issues will be with me for life and they suck.  I'm back to the spinal surgeon in 2 months for another procedure.  

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here on BO.net with similar experiences.  

Flying ejection seat aircraft is great.  But realize the toll it will likely take on your body if you elect to stay with it for a long time.  And for crying out loud, don't do stupid shit in flight training that will get you injured.  It was never something I considered, especially when I was younger.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Just a comment...  and maybe not directly related.  But something to consider anyways.  

I got to know a whole bunch of pilots from all Services over the years, many of them at the Reno Air Races.  We formed group that chats online.  The bulk are Navy pilots; there's a lot of Marines too; and only a few of us from the AF.

Last week, the discussion centered around some health issues.  Nearly every one of the single-seat pilots that had served 20 years said that they are in varying levels of constant pain, due mainly to spinal or neck issues.  Some of the stories are eye-opening.  This matches my experience.  I've got about 7,000 hours in ejection seats, and 4,000 of that is in the T-38A with a 35 lbs parachute on my back.  My neck issues will be with me for life and they suck.  I'm back to the spinal surgeon in 2 months for another procedure.  

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here on BO.net with similar experiences.  

Flying ejection seat aircraft is great.  But realize the toll it will likely take on your body if you elect to stay with it for a long time.  And for crying out loud, don't do stupid shit in flight training that will get you injured.  It was never something I considered, especially when I was younger.  

The challenge of avoiding stupidity in training is ignorance.  You don’t know how stupid you are until you become experienced enough to realize how stupid you were.  Thinking back on UPT, it’s terrifying.  I have incredible respect for the instructors who face the potential demise of ignorant stupidity each day, and face it with a smile. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

But realize the toll it will likely take on your body if you elect to stay with it for a long time.

Went to the ER 3 weeks ago due to the ol’ back. I hope to God the OHWS program stays for the duration of careers for the younger guys. They deserve to not end up with the necks and backs that most of us have after a career of fighters. 

• Upvote 1

To the OP, to tag on to what Huggy said, flying heavies is great for your body. I have about 3000 hours in helicopters and I have multiple degenerative discs and arthritis in my lower spine that are directly from the vibrations. I'm 41 and I can feel it now, I'm not looking forward to when I'm older. 

Enjoy flying heavies and having a body not break down on you.

• Upvote 1

To continue pulling this thread, prevention is the key to this stuff. Lifting weights for function and not just show muscles and stretching is massive. It isn’t the panacea that’ll prevent all issues, but it’s much harder to try to fix it later. 

Also, don’t think since you’re in the T-1 track and heavy communities that this stuff won’t get you. I know a bunch of AC-130 guys with major neck problems from being on NVG and looking left out of their side mounted HUD for hours and hours. Other mobility guys with back, hip, neck problems as well. 

• Upvote 2

Bunch of Buff types with fucked up backs.  Same parachute setup as the T-38, and longer duration sorties.  I had to get an X-ray for something else recently, and the radiologist noted I had "multi-level spinal degeneration"....yaaaay!