Switching from heavies to fighter guard/reserve

Does anyone know of anyone who flew cargo/special ops/tanker aircraft active duty and then palace chase / palace front to a fighter unit with the the guard or reserve?

I’ve seen on bogidope that most of the units specify on the hiring memo that they are only accepting people who flew in that specific airframe for example. But I’ve heard that it’s very rare but possible for people to switch from active duty heavy to active duty fighter and slightly less rare and possible for people to switch from active duty heavy to guard/reserve fighter.
Curious if anyone knows someone who did that and how they did that. Couldn’t find anything about this in any other forums. 

Edited by Jasonrockly

9 hours ago, RoosterCogburn said:

Did you not get the answers you were looking for in the other thread you posted this question in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, those answers were mainly about cross training as active duty. Haven’t heard of anyone doing it when they palace chased or fronted. 

Not really, those answers were mainly about cross training as active duty. Haven’t heard of anyone doing it when they palace chased or fronted. 

If you want to try it with PC or PF, don’t be a dirtbag at your current airframe and do a lot of networking. It works for dudes occasionally, but uphill battle.

Absolutely possible, but low chance of success.

How: Rush units and convince them to hire you and secure the required T-38 TX, IFF, and B-Course training spots.

Why it’s hard: well why does a unit want to risk a heavy guy making it through all that when they can hire dudes that don’t need any of those courses and are already fighter experienced? Also, that’s 1.5-2 yrs in a pipeline as an “old” guy that the unit doesn’t get shit out of you. Then when you’re done with training, you’re a “pretty old” guy basically starting at the beginning and less useful than the 25-28 yr old LT/Capt. 

Rush less desirable units (location, politics, etc) and you’ll have a better shot, but that really probably means you went from .05 PK to .1 PK.

Thats the reality - not saying don’t go for it, but chance of success is very slim. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Not trying to pile on here, but also you need to realize that the chances of getting palace chase approved are slim to none as well. Those who have been successful, are generally in the last year of their commitment, or so. Not saying you won’t still want to go back to UPT in 10 years from now, but I’d recommend shopping for a mission/airframe that seems enjoyable to you for the time being.  Going to fly RC’s or EC’s because they’re ACC is going to make for a long decade and at the end of it, you may not be that interested in flying fighters anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 3:55 PM, brabus said:

Absolutely possible, but low chance of success.

How: Rush units and convince them to hire you and secure the required T-38 TX, IFF, and B-Course training spots.

Why it’s hard: well why does a unit want to risk a heavy guy making it through all that when they can hire dudes that don’t need any of those courses and are already fighter experienced? Also, that’s 1.5-2 yrs in a pipeline as an “old” guy that the unit doesn’t get shit out of you. Then when you’re done with training, you’re a “pretty old” guy basically starting at the beginning and less useful than the 25-28 yr old LT/Capt. 

Rush less desirable units (location, politics, etc) and you’ll have a better shot, but that really probably means you went from .05 PK to .1 PK.

Thats the reality - not saying don’t go for it, but chance of success is very slim. 

Sounds like the timing has to be right for it to work. I wonder for the people it has worked out for, if that was the main factor. Either that or politics/networking? 

100% timing and effective networking/rushing. I’ve seen a great dude nail it on the rushing part, but the timing was bad for training slots. keep in mind a heavy guy needs 3 consecutive miracles of T-38 course of some flavor, IFF, and FTU - that is a tall order. 

1 hour ago, brabus said:

100% timing and effective networking/rushing. I’ve seen a great dude nail it on the rushing part, but the timing was bad for training slots. keep in mind a heavy guy needs 3 consecutive miracles of T-38 course of some flavor, IFF, and FTU - that is a tall order. 

Are there other factors that play into timing? I'm tracking this thread because I'm in a unique situation...I will be a 2LT KC-46 copilot, but my reserve squadron is closing- so I have the chance to rush other squadrons. 

I did notice that the A-10 unit up at Ft. Wayne is converting over to the F-16. Would that then be a good timing opportunity? Of course, I think rushing/meshing well plays a huge roll too.

2 hours ago, cowdog said:

Are there other factors that play into timing? I'm tracking this thread because I'm in a unique situation...I will be a 2LT KC-46 copilot, but my reserve squadron is closing- so I have the chance to rush other squadrons. 

I did notice that the A-10 unit up at Ft. Wayne is converting over to the F-16. Would that then be a good timing opportunity? Of course, I think rushing/meshing well plays a huge roll too.

Funny you mention Ft Wayne because that’s the same situation I’m seeing too with a potential opportunity. I’m from IND and I know some of those guys won’t want to transition from A-10 to F-16. So you never know. 

45 minutes ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

Funny you mention Ft Wayne because that’s the same situation I’m seeing too with a potential opportunity. I’m from IND and I know some of those guys won’t want to transition from A-10 to F-16. So you never know. 

Right on man! Looks like you have an eye for opportunity like I do haha. Do you know anyone from the unit out there?

On 5/26/2023 at 9:12 AM, cowdog said:

Best chance of success is probably rush Pease (you’re already on that plane). But, if you want to give it a shot at fighters, IN may be a good option. However keep in mind while everyone there needs a TX, you still need some sort of 38 course, IFF, and FTU…which is a much heavier lift than a TX course. They could love you, but aren’t able to get those courses all lined up in the timeline you need/desire. Go into this eyes wide open and expectations managed. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

Are there any Navy reserve fighter units that would take an Air Force pilot and transition to an F/A-18? 

Depends on your background. Non 11F; highly unlikely! Even in 11F Air Force background it’s an absolute nightmare switching branches….

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw that Maryland is having a rated A-10 board for all rated pilots…

So if a rated non fighter pilot gets picked up would they have to still do a T-38 course or would they just go straight to IFF or even the A-10 B course? 

I’m glad to see a fighter unit open up a board to all pilots. But curious on what that would entail for training. 

So if a rated non fighter pilot gets picked up would they have to still do a T-38 course or would they just go straight to IFF or even the A-10 B course? 

I’m glad to see a fighter unit open up a board to all pilots. But curious on what that would entail for training. 

This guy again…go with quals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

I’m sure they would have to get T-38 trained then IFF then B course 

4 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

Regarding the first question, yes they would have to do the T-38 transition course, then hop over for an IFF course, then hop over initial qual B-course. Essentially putting someone far removed from the days of being told what to do at the age of 22-25, through a de facto UPT timeline with less years less left of medically qualified service than the aforementioned O-1. Which is why it largely doesn't happen outside the purview of personal affability pageants aka a favor. But hey, mEhk Dem tEll u NAw.

Regarding the last quoted line, that's a canard; rated boards have always been open to all rated pilots. I've applied to some of them in the past as non-11F as far back as 2009. The stipulations of "current and qualified in airframe" are no different than the 'preferred candidates' footnote at any job posting. In reality it's placebo. 

Edited by hindsight2020

2 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

Regarding the first question, yes they would have to do the T-38 transition course, then hop over for an IFF course, then hop over initial qual B-course. Essentially putting someone far removed from the days of being told what to do at the age of 22-25, through a de facto UPT timeline with less years less left of medically qualified service than the aforementioned O-1. Which is why it largely doesn't happen outside the purview of personal affability pageants aka a favor. But hey, mEhk Dem tEll u NAw.

Regarding the last quoted line, that's a canard; rated boards have always been open to all rated pilots. I've applied to some of them in the past as non-11F as far back as 2009. The stipulations of "current and qualified in airframe" are no different than the 'preferred candidates' footnote at any job posting. In reality it's placebo. 

for some reason, every thread that I have read where you have answered a question, I cannot understand jack shit of what your saying. maybe your vocabulary is exponentially better than mines..😠

(I admire your competence)