T-1 Sim only UPT

Yeti_72

Question

Is there still a T-1 sim only (no t-6 phase) UPT syllabus? if there is, is it only for high civilian time pilots?

Been to a lot of air force training programs, a short UPT would be nice

I will be going reserve heavies if that helps. 

20 answers to this question

They just brought it back at Laughlin, but its the Civilian Path to Wings (XPW) program. So its for high time airline types. Whats your flying background?

They just brought it back at Laughlin, but its the Civilian Path to Wings (XPW) program. So its for high time airline types. Whats your flying background?

Air Force Fundamentals (AFF) is the sim-only T-1 program for high time, ATP holding students. XPW is a T-1 only program (think legacy syllabus with a couple extra blocks of training to compensate for no T-6s) intended for Commercial, Multi-Engine, Instrument types, but the only required pre-req is flight screening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Just to clarify, XPW is not sim only. You bypass the T-6, and as a result cannot be FAIPed, so it’s a great deal if you’re wanting heavies.

XPW still a thing? What's the process to get that?

On 5/2/2023 at 10:50 AM, CaptainMorgan said:

Air Force Fundamentals (AFF) is the sim-only T-1 program for high time, ATP holding students. XPW is a T-1 only program (think legacy syllabus with a couple extra blocks of training to compensate for no T-6s) intended for Commercial, Multi-Engine, Instrument types, but the only required pre-req is flight screening.

Yep, my bad. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:49 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

Get to a UPT base before the last class starts and volunteer. T-1 is projected to be done at Laughlin in 2024, and Vance and Columbus in 2025.

Thanks. Recently hired as heavy guard and meet the xpw requirements. Process still the same, show up to UPT and volunteer?

Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.

From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

2 hours ago, Yeti_72 said:

Are any of the sims FAA certified at UPT? wondering if any of those hours count.

From what i found searching the google, for actual jet time you will get 96 hours in the T-6 and 42.8 hours in the T-1 with UPT 2.5

Nope. 

Don’t know if there are any certified sims in the AF, but honestly, it doesn’t matter. You’ll have the 750 for an R-ATP, and 1500 for an unrestricted in no time. Once you’ve cleared that hurdle, time in an aircraft is the only thing that matters for the airlines. When I did my ATP/type, my partner thought that sim time would help him regain recency for the purposes of getting hired (spoiler: it didn’t).

On 5/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, Yeti_72 said:

I have a follow-up question to this.  With the T-1 Sim Only Advance Phase of UPT now, are you strictly doing academics and sim rides for the entirety of that 5-6 month period of time?  Obviously not going to go fly the T-1, but do you get any real-world T-6 rides during that training?  It seems pretty wild that you get winged at the end of T-6 and then don't fly a real airplane for 6 months again until you go on to your assigned airframe.

50 minutes ago, twoTangoKilo said:

I have a follow-up question to this.  With the T-1 Sim Only Advance Phase of UPT now, are you strictly doing academics and sim rides for the entirety of that 5-6 month period of time?  Obviously not going to go fly the T-1, but do you get any real-world T-6 rides during that training?  It seems pretty wild that you get winged at the end of T-6 and then don't fly a real airplane for 6 months again until you go on to your assigned airframe.

It's all innovation, son. The powers that be decreed flight time is dinosaur talk and getting in the way of "progress", so VR goggles and CRAFT meditation exercises for you. Those contractors aren't gonna pay themselves after all. You'll be fine, in sha Allah, for the sake of your future crew. I mean, the airlines successfu---oh wait.... 😄 

Question 1: Yes, but I believe it’s closer to 3 months.
2: No, the rust from not actually flying isn’t going to be much of an issue as your follow-on aircraft is going to be vastly different than the T-6, unless you FAIP.

Question 1: Yes, but I believe it’s closer to 3 months.
2: No, the rust from not actually flying isn’t going to be much of an issue as your follow-on aircraft is going to be vastly different than the T-6, unless you FAIP.

There is a HUGE difference between a T-6 only pilot and those who went before. The 100-ish hours of experience attained in T-1s/T-38s is huge, especially when addressed in the context of a syllabus designed for someone with over TWICE the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

There is a HUGE difference between a T-6 only pilot and those who went before. The 100-ish hours of experience attained in T-1s/T-38s is huge, especially when addressed in the context of a syllabus designed for someone with over TWICE the experience.

Did I say anything to that effect? The post I replied to asked about continuing to fly the T-6 while doing T-1 sims.

Did I say anything to that effect? The post I replied to asked about continuing to fly the T-6 while doing T-1 sims.

You didn’t. Just commenting on the topic in general. The idea of “knocking off the rust” is a joke though. You have to actually have some experience to rust…