Navy or ANG

wikz

Question

Good afternoon aviators. apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but I am looking for some Navy and ANG pilots to shed some light on this topic. 

I am a senior in high school, and am stuck choosing between which branch I want to create a career in. Like every other person in this site, I want to pursue jets. I love the Navy's mission and I was inspired by the Blues at a young age. It would be a dream to inspire others like I was. But acquiring jets in the Navy is like "dark magic" such as where your placed for primary, your NSS, or how ever many slots are open in your squadron when you select that week, etc. (Needs of the navy). I dont know much about the national guard, but Ive heard rumors of choosing what you fly before going to flight school, and horror stories that ANG fighter pilots only fly a few days out of the month. My mother is also a flight attendant for Hawaiian Airlines and told me about a pilot who thought flying commercial was boring and became a fighter pilot for the guard. made it sound so easy. Here's the dumb questions... 
Being a (HS) senior I would like to know where I should go if id like to fly jets before committing to a branch such as NROTC in college? (which ive already applied to). I spent a lot of time engrossed in Navy and was wondering if I chose to pursue becoming a NA--but with luck of the draw I didnt pick up tail-hook in primary--and got my second choice--after I serve till the end of my contract in the Navy not flying jets--would I be able to transfer to the national guard and try for jets and go to flight school again? apologies for not knowing much about ANG, but I do plan on reading all forums to learn more.

1 answer to this question

ANG fighter slots are extremely competitive, but yes, if you get hired you know what aircraft you’ll be flying. Though, you still have to make it through all the training and things could happen such as your unit switching aircraft when you’re 1/2 way through UPT (rare, but it happens). Fighter pilots fly a lot in the guard, even most of the part timers are flying a similar amount as the full timers. 

If you go the Navy route and don’t fly jets, your chances of flying fighters later in the guard are extremely small…don’t count on it. 

Go ANG over AD, and especially over the Navy. Do well in college, get your PPL, and consider enlisting in a guard unit you’d like to eventually fly for if that works out for your life desires (gets your college paid for at least partially and you make connections at that unit). 

• Like 1