What are my chances with low GPA as currently enlisted

Padres02

Im starting my application process now that Im getting ready to graduate, and want to see what people think of my resume. Im not so specific on airframe and more interested in location, but I want to know how picky I can be. There are places that I would love to fly that also have airframes that I would enjoy, and those are the top of my list. But there are also some places that Im not so sure I would want to be stuck at for a 10 year commitment even if part-time.

College & GPA: 2.77 in Spatial Data Science(graduating in the spring)

AFOQT: 99/96/94/94/88

PCSM: 91

LORs: Letter from my chief and letter from my supervisor

Flight Experience: PPL w/ 100 hrs and multi engine / complex, high perf & high alt endorsements

Extracurriculars: Currently enlisted in a Guard unit(thinking this is probably my biggest thing outside of my scores), was on executive board for my fraternity, involved in a club at school.

Obviously, the biggest negative for me is the GPA. Im hoping that if I am able to get to the interview stage, I can use it to my advantage since it has steadily risen as Ive matured and will show growth. But Im concerned how it will look on my applications before that point, and if the rest of my resume will be able to compensate for it, and cause the boards to look past it to an extent. 

Also, how much do the boards care about extra endorsements and what planes Ive flown? I know they care about hours, and having an instrument rating is a big plus(looking to get that in the summer), but I seem to have all the extra stuff except that.

Lastly, I had PRK surgery recently and have started the waiver for it. Is that something I should bring up, or only mention it after being hired?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to consolidate them all into one post. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey @Padres02,

I’ll take a swing at your questions: Though you didn’t mention it specifically, I’m assuming you’re applying to Guard/Res units. 

Your scores are really good. Your flight time is also a huge plus. Your young age is also a big help, and the fact you’re applying in your last semester of college is excellent.  Lastly, being enlisted in a unit can be very helpful in getting selected for an interview; certainly some home field advantage. 

Your GPA isn’t awesome, neither was mine. But, if I were reviewing your application I’d think that “spatial data science” sounds like a difficult field of study…simply because I have no idea what the hell that is and it has the word science in it. Also, you framed it well showing improvement, you can definitely talk about this maturing process in an interview. You asked about the other endorsements, it’ll show some ability on your part, but more than likely won’t be a huge deciding factor. I tell you this because unless you have a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket, I wouldn’t worry about getting that instrument rating.  Uncle Sam will pay you to learn it in UPT.  

As for the PRK, definitely bring it up, and let them know the waiver process is being started. Laser correction is not a secret you’ll be able to hide from them. If I selected you and then found out that we were stuck in the waiver process, I’d be pissed, as we could not move forward until those waivers are moving as well. There’s an awesome flight doc on here: @stuckindayton  He’s super helpful, and really goes the extra mile to help folks with all things AF med. I’d start bouncing questions his way, while working with your home unit, because if we know anything about medicine, it’s that answers often vary.

My final piece of advice is regarding airframes, locations, and attitude: I get it, we all want to live/work somewhere nice.  However, I bristle whenever we’re interviewing some UPT hopeful and they go on and on about how much they love my state…blah, blah, blah, yet they’ve never been there before the interview or rolled through on their way to Disneyland once. Every state, every unit, and every mission has positives and negatives. It’s going to be up to you to decide what’s reasonable. You’re young enough to be selective at this point. If you don’t have any luck this interview season, cast a wider net next.  Having said that, I’d find the location and mission you’re most interested in and get to know that unit.  The more you can get to know the folks you want to work for, the better. If you’re applying to your home unit. Wander over to ops next drill. Introduce yourself to the pilots. Ask to speak to the Chief Pilot or DO. Let them know you’re applying. They’ll probably invite you to a function to get to know you better.  Repeat this every drill!  Bring them a bottle of something good for the bar, next time they might invite you to stick around for a drink. 
Lastly, under no circumstances show a speck of entitlement. Your attitude matters more than all of your qualifications combined. We’re looking for a good pilot and long term friend. 

I hope this helps and good luck to you. I’d say your chances of selection for an interview are high, the rest is up to you. 

Edited by O Face
@
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 4:09 AM, Padres02 said:

Padre

PRK is a non issue in most cases.  In fact most people who have a good outcome won’t need a waiver.  I wouldn’t worry about it unless you think you have a problem with your eyes/vision.  You will need a copy of your pre/post and surgical records for your Flying Class I.

The folks at Wright-Patt will take care of everything and should let you know what needs to be done.

Best of luck.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

On 2/7/2023 at 7:55 AM, O Face said:

My final piece of advice is regarding airframes, locations, and attitude: I get it, we all want to live/work somewhere nice.  However, I bristle whenever we’re interviewing some UPT hopeful and they go on and on about how much they love my state…blah, blah, blah, yet they’ve never been there before the interview or rolled through on their way to Disneyland once. Every state, every unit, and every mission has positives and negatives. It’s going to be up to you to decide what’s reasonable.

Hey @O Face,

I‘ve got a couple applications in at units that are across the country from where I am currently. I’ve heard the advice that you should emphasize how much you love the area where you’re applying, talk about any friends/family connections in the area, etc… This approach has always seemed slightly disingenuous to me though, and it seems like you agree as someone who sits on the other side of the table. If I’m fortunate enough to interview at these units, I feel like the better approach is more along the lines of “Obviously I’m not from here, and I haven’t spent much time in this area, but I’m jazzed about the XXXX mission and the XXXX airframe, and it would be an honor to have the chance to move here if given the opportunity.” 

Does this sound like a better approach to take? Thanks for your time.

Edited by Accountname

5 hours ago, Accountname said:

Hey @O Face,

I‘ve got a couple applications in at units that are across the country from where I am currently. I’ve heard the advice that you should emphasize how much you love the area where you’re applying, talk about any friends/family connections in the area, etc… This approach has always seemed slightly disingenuous to me though, and it seems like you agree as someone who sits on the other side of the table. If I’m fortunate enough to interview at these units, I feel like the better approach is more along the lines of “Obviously I’m not from here, and I haven’t spent much time in this area, but I’m jazzed about the XXXX mission and the XXXX airframe, and it would be an honor to have the chance to move here if given the opportunity.” 

Does this sound like a better approach to take? Thanks for your time.

I’m with you. I’ve heard the same shit a million times from people, and bullshit is easy to smell.  I’d much rather someone tell me what you said, if they have no real connection to the place. It’s not like people don’t move for their employment in every other sector of society, especially our AD brethren, so I don’t view it as a negative. That’s just me though. A lot of people are going to swear you gotta be from the state or have a 3rd cousin who lives there or something. Certainly if you’re from there it’s going to be easier for you to stay, and we are looking for long term commitment in the ANG. However, we’ve had a lot of luck with out of state folks too. It’s not too difficult to tell, in an interview, who is going to stick around for the long haul. 

• Like 1