ACTIVE PSDM 23-54: 2024 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Recaged

PSDM 23-54 has dropped!

Deadline: 03 October 2023.

Last day for application updates: 03 November 2023.
"3 November 2023 (1)ETP Suspense for medical disqualifications.(2) Application Update Suspense: Updates to applications including AF Form 215 data and PCSM scores can be submitted up until this date. Please submit a signed MFR from the applicant’s direct supervisor containing the updated information. Additionally, include any appropriate attachments indicating successful completion of the update (i.e. copy of PPL, copy of updated PCSM, updated AFOQT scores, etc.). Be brief and concise. There is no need to obtain a new updated/signed/coordinated AF Form 215"

Board convenes 4-17 November 2023.

A little early, but wanted to create this thread ahead of time and update it as information and dates roll in.

Edited by Recaged
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm new here but not new to the hunt for a UPT slot. I've been hitting it hard on the NG interview circuit but haven't been able to land a job yet. Couple of alternate-selects but that's it. What resources/tips/TTP's do you guys recommend for learning about the AD UPT application/selection process? Is it best to just work 1-on-1 with an AD recruiter or can I do things on my own like you can on the Guard application side of things?

This forum is called "Pilot Selection Process", but not many folks seem to be talking about the application process itself, just the post-selection stuff. Appreciate the help and good luck to everyone looking for a chance to fly. 

Before you go and hang me for my crimes (asking dumb questions), I have looked through old forums and the "ROE for posting". 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, Dusty318 said:

Hey all, I'm new here but not new to the hunt for a UPT slot. I've been hitting it hard on the NG interview circuit but haven't been able to land a job yet. Couple of alternate-selects but that's it. What resources/tips/TTP's do you guys recommend for learning about the AD UPT application/selection process? Is it best to just work 1-on-1 with an AD recruiter or can I do things on my own like you can on the Guard application side of things?

This forum is called "Pilot Selection Process", but not many folks seem to be talking about the application process itself, just the post-selection stuff. Appreciate the help and good luck to everyone looking for a chance to fly. 

Before you go and hang me for my crimes (asking dumb questions), I have looked through old forums and the "ROE for posting". 

Are you a civilian? If so, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume you have to go through a recruiter. 

Otherwise just wait for AFPC to post next board's PSDM (usually late April/early May). It outlines exactly what you need to do to apply. You can look at last year's PSDM to get an idea for what to expect. I would imagine not much will change. 

Things you can do now ahead of time (and should do if you haven't already):

- Get your FC1 accomplished. This can take several months and a lot of guys miss the application deadline because they wait too long to start it.

- Take (or retake if necessary) the AFOQT and TBAS. There's study materials, tips, etc online. AFPC posts average scores each year of pilot selects so you can compare your scores. 

- Get civilian flying hours if you have the time and money. Will increase your PCSM score until you hit 60 hours and will show the board you're serious about flying. 

If you've been applying for NG slots you've likely already handled all that. Good luck

Edited by goboldtigers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone hear rumblings about this years memo dropping? Should be soon, no?
I emailed AFPC, and they said that it will be dropping soon, but that they had a bunch of changes in the leadership that has to approve it, so its just been slow going. But soon!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The memo hasn't dropped yet, but myfss has all the info on their for the fy24 pilot board. Search MyFSS on the portal, and once there, search Undergraduate Flight Training, and it should be one of the first drop downs. You can't submit anything until the memo drops, but this can get you all started. Here we GO!

• Upvote 1

Does anyone have any current information as to the current state/likelihood of age waivers these days?

I am a 30 year old enlisted guy, former active duty Army, currently finishing up a deployment in the Army Guard. I am going to try to secure a conditional release from the Guard, since I still have 2 years left on my contract. There is a high likelihood (due to the approval process taking so long) that I will reach my ETS date before the waiver is approved. That would put me at 32 years old applying for an active duty UPT board.

Not sure if this is relevant:

3.5 GPA, history degree

Instrument-rated private pilot, ~225 hours

E5, infantryman

Currently already hold a TS clearance through my day job.

I am currently working to get in touch with a recruiter, but it has been difficult in the operational environment we are in, connectivity is limited.

Thank you in advance for any insights anyone may have. 

On 6/3/2023 at 1:21 AM, JAM54 said:

Does anyone have any current information as to the current state/likelihood of age waivers these days?

I am a 30 year old enlisted guy, former active duty Army, currently finishing up a deployment in the Army Guard. I am going to try to secure a conditional release from the Guard, since I still have 2 years left on my contract. There is a high likelihood (due to the approval process taking so long) that I will reach my ETS date before the waiver is approved. That would put me at 32 years old applying for an active duty UPT board.

Not sure if this is relevant:

3.5 GPA, history degree

Instrument-rated private pilot, ~225 hours

E5, infantryman

Currently already hold a TS clearance through my day job.

I am currently working to get in touch with a recruiter, but it has been difficult in the operational environment we are in, connectivity is limited.

Thank you in advance for any insights anyone may have. 

33 requires a waiver so your first application is fine. Anecdotally I've heard they have been waiving that recently due to pilot shortage but I don't have data to support it

On 6/13/2023 at 10:20 AM, goboldtigers said:

You could email the board. They are very responsive and helpful

Thank you; unfortunately my wing required me to submit my application about one week after the PSDM dropped.

I did some searching around and found a few posts on here, and ultimately wrote my own memorandum for a request for an ETP, citing my Air Force training and immersion in the rated field combined with my own private pilot experience as a mitigating factor for my age. I probably just doxxed myself but it's truly not difficult to do that for this particular endeavor.

Currently on deployment but I'll find some of the posts that I found in my search and share them on here once I tackle a few closer alligators.

• Recaged changed the title to ACTIVE PSDM 23-54: 2024 Active Duty Flying Training Board
  • 1 month later...
On 8/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, dillonberg92 said:

Package...is...submitted...up to the UPT gods at this point emoji1696.png

Good luck! I'll be submitting mine in september after my wing racks and stacks everybody. You applied last year as well, didn't you? Did you make any changes to your application?

Another dumb question for the group: where can I find PSDM 23-54? I don't have access to MyFSS and haven't turned up the PSDM through searched. The recruiters I've worked with are less than helpful; both the AD recruiters and interservice transfer office keep referring me to one-other saying they can't process a former O from another branch (now civilian). 

I know I'm behind the curve here - like I said in a previous post, I've been on the Guard/Reserves "circuit" of interviews for a while but new to the AD process. I think I have just about everything I need to submit to the AD board other than the FC1, and I don't even know where to begin with that. I think getting my hands on PSDM 23-54 is a good place to start. Any other tips for someone just starting this process, who knows next to nothing about it?

Good luck! I'll be submitting mine in september after my wing racks and stacks everybody. You applied last year as well, didn't you? Did you make any changes to your application?
To everything but my PCSM and AFOQT scores. New letter of Rec from a really great 2-star, took a different approach to my personal statement, and I received a pretty big Department of the Air Force level award last year. So it's a big swing this year and yes, I applied last year as well. I also applied when I applied to OTS in 2019, but they wanted me for something else instead. 3rd times a charm!

Another dumb question for the group: where can I find PSDM 23-54? I don't have access to MyFSS and haven't turned up the PSDM through searched. The recruiters I've worked with are less than helpful; both the AD recruiters and interservice transfer office keep referring me to one-other saying they can't process a former O from another branch (now civilian). 
I know I'm behind the curve here - like I said in a previous post, I've been on the Guard/Reserves "circuit" of interviews for a while but new to the AD process. I think I have just about everything I need to submit to the AD board other than the FC1, and I don't even know where to begin with that. I think getting my hands on PSDM 23-54 is a good place to start. Any other tips for someone just starting this process, who knows next to nothing about it?
If you DM me your email, I'll send it to you.

On 8/6/2023 at 9:04 AM, dillonberg92 said:

If you DM me your email, I'll send it to you.

Thanks, Dillon. Just DM'd you. 

Anyone here successfully go through this process as a prior service candidate from another branch? I've had three AD recruiters tell me they can't help me because I'm PS, and they have each referred me to the inter-service transfer org box. The catch: the inter service transfer program has been shut down for a while now for nearly all AFSC's (AF Special Warfare and U2 pilots being the exception). One recruiter didn't even know what the flying training board was. 

If I recall correctly, when folks are talking about an "Active Duty Flying Training Board," they're referring to a board to select current Air Force officers for flying training (pilot, Nav, ABM, UAV, etc).  So, you have to be an active duty Air Force Officer in order to apply.

If you're a prior-service O (now civilian), I'm not sure what the course would be.  Obviously, ANG/AF Reserve is one path.  Honestly, if you've recently separated from your previous service, I assume you're in the Inactive Ready Reserve, so if you got a unit to pick you up for a flying slot, I speculate they could just bring you in at your old rank.

If the inter-service transfer program is shut down, I don't know of any other path to an active duty Air Force cockpit.  If you had never been an O, I think the normal path would be to apply for a pilot slot via Air Force OTS, but I don't think you can apply to OTS with time served as an officer in another branch.