Active Duty CSO Applying as an "Old Guy"

I have a few question regarding applying as an older dude. I'm currently an active duty CSO 34 years old with 13 years in. I have 3000+ hours in the MC-130 and I just recently applied to the active duty UPT board which required both an age and TFCSD waiver (which both were approved). I was unfortunately not selected for UPT (no shocker there) but was selected for RPA. If I decline RPA and apply to UPT from a guard unit will that prevent me from being picked up? Also any advice going forward with trying to get picked up for a UPT slot? Current scores are AFOQT pilot 94, PCSM 85 (will go to 89 after I update my hours), 48 civ hours with PPL check ride scheduled for the 24th of this month.

3 hours ago, SOF_CSO said:

I have a few question regarding applying as an older dude. I'm currently an active duty CSO 34 years old with 13 years in. I have 3000+ hours in the MC-130 and I just recently applied to the active duty UPT board which required both an age and TFCSD waiver (which both were approved). I was unfortunately not selected for UPT (no shocker there) but was selected for RPA. If I decline RPA and apply to UPT from a guard unit will that prevent me from being picked up? Also any advice going forward with trying to get picked up for a UPT slot? Current scores are AFOQT pilot 94, PCSM 85 (will go to 89 after I update my hours), 48 civ hours with PPL check ride scheduled for the 24th of this month.

Sorry to hear that you weren’t picked up AD, however if you do get selected by a Guard unit, you’ll be forever grateful you weren’t selected AD. Having said that, it’s gonna be a bit tougher considering your age.  Declining an RPA assignment won’t hurt you in the least. The fact you already have your waivers will help a lot in the interview process as well. So now the process is like anybody else out there. Go find the units you’re interested in. Get to know them, and start applying. You do have also have the advantage of being a C-130 Nav and there’s lots of H model guard units out there still who are perpetually short on Nav’s.  You could always roll the dice and get a Nav job and hope they’ll make you a pilot. It’s a bit of a risk though as they may want to keep you as a Nav. Either way, I’m certain you’ll be much happier. Best of luck. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2023 at 7:58 AM, SOF_CSO said:

Why wasn’t it surprising you didn’t get up by AD, I thought they were short pilots?

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Why wasn’t it surprising you didn’t get up by AD, I thought they were short pilots?

For one I never anticipate that the air force will do anything that makes sense and two I did not get my PPL done in time and I know how much that means to these boards. I had a feeling even with the shortage they would not look past my age when it came to making the final decision. 

I had one quick question for you guys. As I shift gears from the active duty board to guard applications when I write my cover letter should I state that I already have Age and TFCSD waivers already approved that the AETC A1 level or is that a mute point and I will I have to work a completely new set of waivers for the guard?

On 1/18/2023 at 1:07 PM, SOF_CSO said:

I had one quick question for you guys. As I shift gears from the active duty board to guard applications when I write my cover letter should I state that I already have Age and TFCSD waivers already approved that the AETC A1 level or is that a mute point and I will I have to work a completely new set of waivers for the guard?

SOF_CSO,

I'm fairly certain your waivers follow you and don't need to be re-accomplished.  AETC is the waiver authority for everyone (active duty, ANG, AFRES) going through UPT so your current waiver should still be valid.  They may have expiration dates attached to them which could come into play.  Anyone in flight medicine should be able to look them up and find out that information for you if needed.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

SOF_CSO,

I'm fairly certain your waivers follow you and don't need to be re-accomplished.  AETC is the waiver authority for everyone (active duty, ANG, AFRES) going through UPT so your current waiver should still be valid.  They may have expiration dates attached to them which could come into play.  Anyone in flight medicine should be able to look them up and find out that information for you if needed.

Best of luck.

Thanks again for chiming in Doc!  I thought this was the case, but wanted someone to verify, so I called back to my squadron to get SOF_CSO a solid answer this morning…All the full-timers must still be at lunch.  Anyway, I would most certainly put proof of the waivers in your packet somewhere, even if the ANG decided you needed to do them all over again, for some reason only NGB could dream of, it would make the folks on your board feel more confident in selecting you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSG said:

Curious why you're keen on leaving AFSOC for UPT.  I'm a backseater in an endangered platform -- I've been leaning towards trying to move to the SOF world over UPT.

I absolutely loved my time in SOF, I've just been doing it to too long and need something new in my life. AFSOC is the last real haven for CSOs in the Air Force but I just need a new challenge in life.

Edited by SOF_CSO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 10:10 PM, Polar Bear said:

That hasn’t been the case in several years. There’s no shortage of inexperienced FNGs. There’s always been a shortage of people willing to stay past their ADSC, instructor pilots, staff etc, in the 11x world 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:18 AM, theoriginalturk said:

That hasn’t been the case in several years. There’s no shortage of inexperienced FNGs. There’s always been a shortage of people willing to stay past their ADSC, instructor pilots, staff etc, in the 11x world 

That's what I'm hoping for. I just need to find a unit that's willing to take a chance on picking up a Major as an FNG. Even though I'm pretty confident I'll pick things up quickly and learn and not be a complete FNG for too long.