Average Assignment Length?

Nate B

Hello! Please feel free to move this if it’s not in the appropriate section.

I’m currently an enlisted aviator that was selected for OTS/UPT in July (still waiting on dates). I’m interested in knowing what the average assignment length looks like for pilots, from what I can tell it’s 3-4 years. I assume it’s that way for most of the Air Force, but I have basically no experience with that since my shred can only go to 2 bases (I’ve been OCONUS for 4 years now, I know people that have done 9 year tours here or stayed at the CONUS base their entire career). 

I’m asking because my wife, who’s currently in the same career field as me but separating soon, wants to go to medical school; I’d like to remain at one base for like 6 years if it’s possible. Does it vary by airframe? If I ended up getting something like A-10s does my entire career involve me moving from DM to Moody to Nellis and back again? Is it possible to PCA to another unit on the same base instead of PCS? Maybe take a short tour and BOP back to the same base? 

Thanks for any insight. 

Lots of things are possible, but that doesn’t make them likely. 

if you end up in fighters, expect to PCS every 3 years +/- 3-6 months … usually on the minus side.  You will move more often right after UPT for various training … long TDYs or full PCS’s.

AFPC likes to shuffle the manning holes around. 

if you’re looking to homestead somewhere, consider the guard/reserves 

• Upvote 2

If you want to fly and stay one place long term, consider manned ISR. CCall for example, you will be at DM for a decade. There is no other CCall base. RC-135s will net you Offut for a similar length. AWACs folks have more options but noone is going to stop you from hiding in Tinker. 

I hear its six inches but I'm not sure.  Lol

In addition to what Hoss said:

Most active assignments were 3 years when I was in Helicopters but I'm pretty sure that's the standard assignment everywhere until you either get selected to lead or put out to pasture.   2 years for leaders.  Dudes put out to pasture ride out that last assignment until they punch.   

I assume you fly with pilots.  I bet they'd tell you something similar. 

My wife went to law school during one of my assignments.  It's all luck and timing though.  My last assignment I was a geographically separated bachelor.  

Active Duty Officers rarely homestead.  

Copy all - thanks guys. 

9 hours ago, FLEA said:

If you want to fly and stay one place long term, consider manned ISR. CCall for example, you will be at DM for a decade. There is no other CCall base. RC-135s will net you Offut for a similar length. AWACs folks have more options but noone is going to stop you from hiding in Tinker. 

Currently on the RC-135. Not sure if it’s really what I want for the future but I’ll consider further. CCall would be good for me. 

I assume something like U-28s or the upcoming AT-802u would be a good choice for a longer assignment?

Edited by Nate B

7 hours ago, Nate B said:

Copy all - thanks guys. 

Currently on the RC-135. Not sure if it’s really what I want for the future but I’ll consider further. CCall would be good for me. 

I assume something like U-28s or the upcoming AT-802u would be a good choice for a longer assignment?

Your AT-802U (OA-1K) and/or U-28 assumption is incorrect, unless you mean staying stateside. They deploy overseas, rarely if ever PCS overseas.  

Also, 4 squadrons is the word…seems to match SOFORGEN & AFFORGEN from stateside to me, but who knows…  4 squadrons could give rotation between likely 2 bases, with one-off assignments sprinkled in. Of course homesteading at HRT isn't what it used to be pre-Cannon days, but some dig in like a tick and stay at HRT finding PCA opportunities in MAJCOM, DRUs, SQs, etc. Those opportunities are decreasing but still exist. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erictegler/2022/11/25/its-been-50-years-since-the-air-force-last-operated-a-single-engine-tail-dragger-how-will-it-train-new-oa-1k-pilots/amp/

https://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3137974/mst-provides-innovative-leap-in-soforgen/

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2846090/34th-sos-validates-u-28-soforgen-ace-concepts/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, HossHarris said:

Lots of things are possible, but that doesn’t make them likely. 

if you end up in fighters, expect to PCS every 3 years +/- 3-6 months … usually on the minus side.  You will move more often right after UPT for various training … long TDYs or full PCS’s.

AFPC likes to shuffle the manning holes around. 

if you’re looking to homestead somewhere, consider the guard/reserves 

Can confirm that Strike Eagle VML cycles are 2 years and 8 months. Most "get lucky" and stay for roughly 3 years. Some unlucky ones leave right at 2 years 8 months or less

• Upvote 1

I have a friend that came to the U-2 at Beale in early '94 and retire in Nov 2014, having never PCS'd. Yes he flew the entire time. 
While he is the extreme, we do have pilots that stay flying at Beale. In many cases, they will PCS to one of our overseas locations for 1-2 years, and then come back. 

I did 12+ consecutive years at Beale on my third U-2 tour. 

• Upvote 3