College Football

O Face

29 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

If I were a betting man I'd bet that he'll either get drafted or quickly signed as an undrafted free agent shortly after the draft.

Cheap backup who's got that dawg in him quite literally. Not unlike Taylor Heinicke, who's last season in college before being signed was a not-notable 6-6 at Old Dominion.

Not a fantastic or really even a starting NFL QB, but talented and motivated enough to earn a roster spot for a handful of years. Scrappy and a proven winner.

Plus ole SBIV won 2x national championships for the #1 team in the country who can recruit damn near any 5-star QB they could dream of...that ain't nothing.

Wild to me that he's not considered a premier NFL prospect. You don't stumble your way into winning back to back national championships by being just an average quarterback surrounded by really good people. He led this team and has monster passing stats to back it up. 

Is he kinda short? Yeah.  Same height as Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, and an inch shorter than Drew Brees. So not really in uncharted territory here. The NFL is far too focused on physical specimens from mediocre teams who they're convinced they can re-mold into Superman.. except that doesn't work out all the time. 

If tonight's game taught us anything, it's that strength of schedule is very much a thing. And the guy who can perform at this level in the toughest conference and biggest stages has some serious skill.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pooter said:

Wild to me that he's not considered a premier NFL prospect. You don't stumble your way into winning back to back national championships by being just an average quarterback surrounded by really good people. He led this team and has monster passing stats to back it up. 

Is he kinda short? Yeah.  Same height as Russell Wilson, Kyler Murray, and an inch shorter than Drew Brees. So not really in uncharted territory here. The NFL is far too focused on physical specimens from mediocre teams who they're convinced they can re-mold into Superman.. except that doesn't work out all the time. 

If tonight's game taught us anything, it's that strength of schedule is very much a thing. And the guy who can perform at this level in the toughest conference and biggest stages has some serious skill.

A broom handle could’ve played QB for UGA this year and they would’ve won. That’s how talented they are on both sides of the ball. He’s not only short, he’s also under 200lbs (which Murray and Wilson are not). He’s also not a dual sport athlete like Murray and Wilson and isn’t rolling out on play actions with a cannon for an arm. 

The NFL is a vastly different game which is why a lot of college players, and college coaches, who attempt to play in the league get laughed out of it. Bennett worked really hard to start at UGA, which is a feat itself, let alone win two Natty’s. However, he’s hit the peak of his football career. I don’t think he’ll be drafted, that’s even if he decided to enter the draft. He may be an undrafted rookie, but he’s looking at being a QB3 on a team or practice squadron for 1-2 seasons at best. He’s also older (25) than five QBs that are playing this week in the NFL Playoffs. Teams aren’t going to waste a pick on an older QB straight from college who doesn’t have the physical traits or athletic traits to be an NFL QB.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Upvote 1

A broom handle could’ve played QB for UGA this year and they would’ve won. That’s how talented they are on both sides of the ball. He’s not only short, he’s also under 200lbs (which Murray and Wilson are not). He’s also not a dual sport athlete like Murray and Wilson and isn’t rolling out on play actions with a cannon for an arm. 
The NFL is a vastly different game which is why a lot of college players, and college coaches, who attempt to play in the league get laughed out of it. Bennett worked really hard to start at UGA, which is a feat itself, let alone win two Natty’s. However, he’s hit the peak of his football career. I don’t think he’ll be drafted, that’s even if he decided to enter the draft. He may be an undrafted rookie, but he’s looking at being a QB3 on a team or practice squadron for 1-2 seasons at best. He’s also older (25) than five QBs that are playing this week in the NFL Playoffs. Teams aren’t going to waste a pick on an older QB straight from college who doesn’t have the physical traits or athletic traits to be an NFL QB.

I disagree. How many UGA games did you watch this year? He consistently threw passes that we right on the money or where only his receiver could catch the ball (like the TD last night). He is a much better QB than many that will get drafted ahead of him. And all he does is win.

I’ll admit that I have no idea what NFL scouts look for, but I have seen them miss more than they hit. The dude is a winner. He’s a cocky little bastard on top it but he has earned the right because he’s backed it up with performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I disagree. How many UGA games did you watch this year? He consistently threw passes that we right on the money or where only his receiver could catch the ball (like the TD last night). He is a much better QB than many that will get drafted ahead of him. And all he does is win.

I’ll admit that I have no idea what NFL scouts look for, but I have seen them miss more than they hit. The dude is a winner. He’s a cocky little bastard on top it but he has earned the right because he’s backed it up with performance.

You know why he was able to throw dimes? That great O-Line he has allowing him a ton of time in the pocket or great blocking if he starts to run. Having good receivers immensely helps too. Look at Josh Allen’s two years before Stephon Diggs showed up to Buffalo and now. Look at Kirk Cousins stats once Justin Jefferson showed up. 

What the scouts look for is physical traits and potential. If Josh Allen is doing great things at Wyoming, then he has great potential in the NFL. It’s hard to say Bennett was the key to two championships when the entire team is so talented the past two years.

1 hour ago, herkbum said:

Isn't he also like 25? So you would think he's more mature going into hte NFL.  PPL thought Vince Young was a sure bet and all teams passed over Tom Brady through 5 rounds.  So its a crap shoot.

4 hours ago, uhhello said:

Crap shoot indeed.  Look at Purdy.  Mediocore big12 qb drafted dead last who's now been starter for 5 wins with San Fran.  

I’d hardly call over 12,000 passing yards, 81 TDs, and an average QBR 153.0 in four years at Iowa State “mediocre.”

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

You know why he was able to throw dimes? That great O-Line he has allowing him a ton of time in the pocket or great blocking if he starts to run. Having good receivers immensely helps too.

Exactly. Guess what, he'll likely have a great o line and receivers in the NFL too.  He knows how to stand up in the pocket and deliver bombs. He picked apart teams all season with pinpoint slot passes.. which is exactly what a good NFL QB does. 

He also knows when to use his legs to extend plays but isn't overly reliant on qb scramble antics like the manziels, RG3s, and newtons of the world. Hence the comparison to Brees and Wilson in both size and play style. 

Is he a sure thing? Of course not, no one is. But my point is that raw athletic ability and "potential" leads scouts astray all the time. The ability to reliably win and lead an elite team on the biggest stages should be valued just as much if not more.

4 hours ago, ecugringo said:

Isn't he also like 25? So you would think he's more mature going into hte NFL.  PPL thought Vince Young was a sure bet and all teams passed over Tom Brady through 5 rounds.  So it’s a crap shoot.

To be fair the Tom Brady GOAT era may have never started since the Pats signed Drew Bledsoe to that long term contract and then he was hurt and Brady got the start his rookie year.

1 minute ago, Pooter said:

Exactly. Guess what, he'll likely have a great o line and receivers in the NFL too.  He knows how to stand up in the pocket and deliver bombs. He picked apart teams all season with pinpoint slot passes.. which is exactly what a good NFL QB does. 

He also knows when to use his legs to extend plays but isn't overly reliant on qb scramble antics like the manziels, RG3s, and newtons of the world. Hence the comparison to Brees and Wilson in both size and play style. 

Is he a sure thing? Of course not, no one is. But my point is that raw athletic ability and "potential" leads scouts astray all the time. The ability to reliably win and lead an elite team on the biggest stages should be valued just as much if not more.

He’ll have a great O-Line and receivers? What NFL do you watch? Only a few teams have great one or the others and even fewer have both (Eagles). Plenty of college players, even first rounders, are drummed out of the NFL within 1-3 years. Look at Zach Wilson with the Jets. The crazy plays that may work a few times in a college game will work maybe once or twice a season due to defenses being so good.

26 minutes ago, uhhello said:

My point

Purdy wasn’t mediocre though.  
His problem was that he played for Iowa State.  If he had the same stats but played at Bama or Ohio St. he would have been the #1 pick.  

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

So why wasn't he drafted higher?

I mean, that depends on the scouting report on him. He was likened to Colt McCoy and Case Keenum. Average arm strength, mechanical throwing, a smaller QB frame, and may have difficulties avoiding a pass rush.

The 49ers offense scheme is more about brains than muscle, which is why I think he's excelled replacing Jimmy G. 

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

My point

I wouldn't necessarily say that Purdy would excel like he has in a different style of offense/coaching like he has in San Francisco. A lot of Broncos fans were pissed when Denver selected Bradley Chubb with the fifth pick in the 2018 Draft when Josh Allen was on the board and went to Buffalo two picks later. I don't believe Allen would be the QB he is today had he gone to Denver due to the terrible coaching carousel they've had and lack of quality WRs and TEs to throw to like he has in Buffalo. 

3 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Plenty of college players, even first rounders, are drummed out of the NFL within 1-3 years. 

Why it's almost like the scouts get it wrong all the time.. 🤔 

To me, "back-to-back national champion" is a much stronger argument than "he's kinda small."  But what do I know 

13 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Why it's almost like the scouts get it wrong all the time.. 🤔 

To me, "back-to-back national champion" is a much stronger argument than "he's kinda small."  But what do I know 

Tommy Frazier won back-to-back national championships in the 90s with Nebraska. Wasn’t drafted due to health issues and played in the CFL, where he retired due to health issues. Looks like the scouts got it right. 

It’s the NFL, no one cares if you win the Heisman, let alone National Championships. 

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Well it’s spring ball time already!  Only a few more months until another season kicks off!!  Let’s hope it’s as exciting as last year, minus that championship game. Who do you got winning it all this year?  Also, draft time again. Some of the “experts” are saying QB’s are going to go 1-4 picks for the first time in history. I find that difficult to believe since they all are kind of, unremarkable. 

Edited by O Face

On 4/15/2023 at 3:02 PM, O Face said:

Well it’s spring ball time already!  Only a few more months until another season kicks off!!  Let’s hope it’s as exciting as last year, minus that championship game. Who do you got winning it all this year?  Also, draft time again. Some of the “experts” are saying QB’s are going to go 1-4 picks for the first time in history. I find that difficult to believe since they all are kind of, unremarkable. 

“To be the best, you have to beat the best”

Until somebody knocks off Georgia, I have them winning their 3rd consecutive NC.  Can’t rule out Bama, Ohio State, Michigan or USC though.  

Dark horses:  Florida State, Texas, LSU

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1