Field Fairies

Biff_T

10 hours ago, Pooter said:

Two draws so far.. riveting stuff.

The only interesting thing to come out of this World Cup has been watching woke western world soccer fans collectively realize Qatar is an ethical dumpster fire.. and then promptly turn a blind eye to it. 

Soccer isn't for everyone.  Just like I'm not into butt stuff.  Lol.  

FIFA is corrupt.  That's how a shit hole like Qatar gets to host it.  Nobody in the world of soccer was happy about it.  

As far as the draws.   Even when you draw in certain tournaments you get a point for the group.   It's part of the strategy.  Sometimes all you need is a draw.   

The USA must win against Iran to get out of the group stage.   That's going to be a game with a few goals hopefully.  

1 hour ago, bfargin said:

Be fair Pooter, they’re wearing strong virtue signaling armbands and even changed their logos in the team room. Strong signal sent🤨

Where have I seen this before?   

NBA, NFL and MLB all do this kind of crap too.  I'd say it started with professional football and the San Francisco 49s favorite QB.   Let's have a kneel for the national anthem!   

29 minutes ago, Biff_T said:

Soccer isn't for everyone.  Just like I'm not into butt stuff.  Lol.  

FIFA is corrupt.  That's how a shit hole like Qatar gets to host it.  Nobody in the world of soccer was happy about it.  

As far as the draws.   Even when you draw in certain tournaments you get a point for the group.   It's part of the strategy.  Sometimes all you need is a draw.   

The USA must win against Iran to get out of the group stage.   That's going to be a game with a few goals hopefully.  

caveat: I actually love soccer and played it my whole life.

But In a tournament at the highest level where fans paid thousands of dollars to fly across the world and attend probably once in their life.. a draw is not acceptable. Especially a scoreless draw. 

Make those players run for 5 hours for all I care. That could even be it's own strategy. Don't want your team to get torched in a 5 hour slog? Cool. Do literally anything. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pooter said:

caveat: I actually love soccer and played it my whole life.

But In a tournament at the highest level where fans paid thousands of dollars to fly across the world and attend probably once in their life.. a draw is not acceptable. Especially a scoreless draw. 

Make those players run for 5 hours for all I care. That could even be it's own strategy. Don't want your team to get torched in a 5 hour slog? Cool. Do literally anything. 

Cool.  I agree with you.  

I misread your post as a dig at soccer.   Yeah, watching a draw sucks regardless.   

Not to hijack the thread but on the overarching theme of American disinterest due to a perceived lack of action, I wish Rugby would get more of a following here. There’s constant action, violence, and toughness is encouraged. And the culture of player respect (“hooligans game played by gentlemen”) would play well with uptight Americans.

I legitimately think if soccer outlawed or at least penalized the flopping, it’d get more of a following here. That part of the game is so antithetical to American sporting culture that I think it’ll hold the sport back here forever.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I legitimately think if soccer outlawed or at least penalized the flopping, it’d get more of a following here. That part of the game is so antithetical to American sporting culture that I think it’ll hold the sport back here forever.

This is it right here.  Our sports culture prizes physical toughness.  The legendary performances are mostly people pushing through illness and injury to win: Jack Youngblood playing in the Super Bowl with a broken leg, Michael Jordan dominating in the Flu Game, Kirk Gibson clobbering a home run in the World Series on injured legs, Kerri Strug sticking the landing on a busted ankle, Byron Leftwich leading a comeback with a leg injured so bad he had to be carried by his linemen, Ronnie Lott having part of his finger amputated so he could go back in and on and on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

This is it right here.  Our sports culture prizes physical toughness.  The legendary performances are mostly people pushing through illness and injury to win: Jack Youngblood playing in the Super Bowl with a broken leg, Michael Jordan dominating in the Flu Game, Kirk Gibson clobbering a home run in the World Series on injured legs, Kerri Strug sticking the landing on a busted ankle, Byron Leftwich leading a comeback with a leg injured so bad he had to be carried by his linemen, Ronnie Lott having part of his finger amputated so he could go back in and on and on.

To continue my rugby hijack and to highlight the toughest/crazy sports story I’ve ever heard. TLDR - Dude lost 3 teeth and had his nutsack ripped open in a game, finished the game, and had it sewn up in the training room.

10 hours ago, JBueno said:

US-Iran tomorrow at 2 PM eastern!!

Let's Goooooo!

That's how America does it!!!   Great first goal against those dirty Persians lol.  

4 hours ago, Danger41 said:

I’m actually watching this live and watching Christian Pulisic get back in after scoring the goal and getting pretty badly injured has been pretty awesome.

I think he was inspired by your previous post about nutsack injuries. 🤣 Looked like it must’ve hurt! 

• Like 1

This is great news, it advances US soccer and helps us develop even better teams in the future. Both the men’s and women’s teams agreed to this plan and I’m happy the USMNT advanced and secured that bag. I hope they go even further…I believe that we will win!

With the USWNT being back-to-back champions already, it’s awesome that the US soccer federations can use this prize money to both keep building up the men’s team while also maintain that excellence on the women’s side. Hopefully USWNT can 3-peat next year 🇺🇸

It may seem unAmerican, but I'm not sure I'm going to be cheering for the USWNT.  After all their crybaby antics about not being paid as much (news flash, you're not as good or you wouldn't lose to U15 boys teams) and their absurd political grandstanding, they could use a setback to have a reason to focus on actually playing soccer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smokin said:

It may seem unAmerican, but I'm not sure I'm going to be cheering for the USWNT.  After all their crybaby antics about not being paid as much (news flash, you're not as good or you wouldn't lose to U15 boys teams) and their absurd political grandstanding, they could use a setback to have a reason to focus on actually playing soccer.

It wasn't even about their ability. They got paid whether they played or not; got health insurance through US Soccer, had guaranteed salaries and time off. 

The men had none of those and negotiated for a bigger percentage of earnings in return for having to pay more games, not having salary guarantees, and not having insurance. In fact, the women were offered the men's contract and rejected it. 

Good job boys!  2026 will be  better!!!

Edited by Biff_T
I ain't no speller

The Dutch are an excellent team right now, for one. The youth and lack of experience showed in the defensive side, although size/strength of those positions probably also played into it. Ream and Dest did well back there, others seemed like liabilities. Need to refine offensive play, but showed exciting ability to put runs together.

• Upvote 1