Overlooked Things to Do When Rushing a Unit?

I know there are old threads on the subject and I've read them. Most don't go into too much detail and simply say "Don't be an idiot" "don't be an @ss" "have a firm handshake." I'm an older applicant and I know time is not on my side. There are a few units I have rushed, non have had interviews yet but two have told me to turn in an app to keep it on file. One of the units, I have visited them three times. All three times, I just walk all around the squadron and try to make myself known by everyone. I shake hands, I talk to pilots and non-pilots alike, I try to bond over the military, aviation and even non-flying things like music, cars or literature. This unit, I even got to play hockey once with the unit hockey team (which was awesome)!

Is there any other little things I should do or overlooked things to show that I really want to be apart of the unit?

If they're inviting you to play hockey, they probably like you. Unless you invited yourself to hockey. Or they just needed a body so guys can get fresh legs (jk). Sounds like you're doing the right things. Just dont be the guy thats overly friendly, or is butting into conversations. If none of the places you've visited have had boards yet, you really dont have any way to validate if you're doing things correctly or incorrectly. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing it right. When I was hanging out at interview weekends I basically did the same. Tried to have a conversation with whoever wasn't busy and didn't look like they'd be annoyed that I wanted to talk. Don't overstay your welcome, but if people are there hanging out, be there. Persistence is key in some cases.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, ryleypav said:

If they're inviting you to play hockey, they probably like you. Unless you invited yourself to hockey. Or they just needed a body so guys can get fresh legs (jk). Sounds like you're doing the right things. Just dont be the guy thats overly friendly, or is butting into conversations. If none of the places you've visited have had boards yet, you really dont have any way to validate if you're doing things correctly or incorrectly. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing it right. When I was hanging out at interview weekends I basically did the same. Tried to have a conversation with whoever wasn't busy and didn't look like they'd be annoyed that I wanted to talk. Don't overstay your welcome, but if people are there hanging out, be there. Persistence is key in some cases.

I kind of invited myself. They mentioned they had a team and I asked if I could come and play. They said sure. They seemed to like that I played though. We chilled and had beer afterwards in the locker room. I guess I just have to keep being persistent.

Edited by HelpWithAFOQT