Looking for Opinions on Air Force Reserve

Nyamekye514

I have recently been considering joining the Air Force Reserve. Military service has been attractive to me for a long time, but I am only now giving it serious thought. Previously, I was very focused on a civilian career.

For background, I am 28 years old and in the first year of law school, which is a three year program. I have an undergraduate degree in electrical and computer engineering. I intend to finish law school, and I will be 30 years old when I do. I am married with three children under the age of 5. I intend to have a civilian career at a large firm (not interested in JAG), during which I should be well-situated financially.

I am motivated by a strong desire to serve my country. However, I am also of the age when I know what I am looking for and I am not interested in doing just anything. I am not interested in chasing pilot slots across the country, nor am I interested in doing anything other than flying. The unit near me flies the F-35, so that would be the goal. For the purposes of this, let's assume I can get a pilot slot there. I know that such slots are extremely competitive, so we don't need to have that particular discussion. 

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on whether I should place my career on hold for a few years to join the Reserves and go through pilot training, considering the lost money, the hardship on my family, and anything else. Also, is it actually even feasible to be a military pilot while having a demanding career in law?

I know that there is no answer that anyone can give regarding what I should do. I am simply looking for opinions.

Thanks!

You're going to have to ask a more specific question if you want a meaningful answer. People from virtually every background have become military pilots, including lawyers, and I'm sure the F-35 is incredible to fly. But like you mentioned, only you can evaluate whether that's worth the sacrifice required of you and your family.

38 minutes ago, Sua Sponte said:

You’re a 1L and already know you’re going to work in BigLaw? Putting the cart before the horse?

I understand your comment. For a number of reasons, my chances at getting a BigLaw job are high. My main point, however, was that I don't plan to be one of those bleeding-heart lawyers that don't make any money and rather can expect a fairly demanding career.

If you know the unit you want to serve with. Go talk to them and see what they have available. Join the unit.

Get to know the people in the Ops squadron. Start taking pilots lessons. When the unit takes applications. Apply

Edited by MC5Wes

6 hours ago, Nyamekye514 said:

I have recently been considering joining the Air Force Reserve. Military service has been attractive to me for a long time, but I am only now giving it serious thought. Previously, I was very focused on a civilian career.

For background, I am 28 years old and in the first year of law school, which is a three year program. I have an undergraduate degree in electrical and computer engineering. I intend to finish law school, and I will be 30 years old when I do. I am married with three children under the age of 5. I intend to have a civilian career at a large firm (not interested in JAG), during which I should be well-situated financially.

I am motivated by a strong desire to serve my country. However, I am also of the age when I know what I am looking for and I am not interested in doing just anything. I am not interested in chasing pilot slots across the country, nor am I interested in doing anything other than flying. The unit near me flies the F-35, so that would be the goal. For the purposes of this, let's assume I can get a pilot slot there. I know that such slots are extremely competitive, so we don't need to have that particular discussion. 

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on whether I should place my career on hold for a few years to join the Reserves and go through pilot training, considering the lost money, the hardship on my family, and anything else. Also, is it actually even feasible to be a military pilot while having a demanding career in law?

I know that there is no answer that anyone can give regarding what I should do. I am simply looking for opinions.

Thanks!

Nope. But there is an entire subsection labeled “Air National Guard/Air Force Reserves” and it’s full of dudes who are younger, hungrier, better prepared, less distracted, less entitled, extremely willing to chase pilot slots across the country, less concerned about financial strains, and much less demanding on how they can fulfill their desire to serve their country. 

Edited by O Face
Opinions
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Decide what success looks like to you and understand the consequences of pursuing that. Want to be a big shot lawyer that makes alot of money AND be a good pilot in the F-35? Don’t lie to yourself that you’ll be Father/Husband of the year because you won’t. You’ll be slammed with time requirements and your family will have to bear that burden. 

Want to go to all the soccer games/tea parties? Serve your country by being a good citizen and raising good Americans. Don’t go be a pilot. Just be a lawyer and a family man.

Want to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and not want to vomit? Drop out of law school and go be a pilot (kidding…kind of). 

Just have some frank and honest conversations with yourself and/or significant other if you care about their input and go from there.

• Upvote 2