Would Guard Units Look Down On Taking a Retail Job?

Currently I work for a company that does machine learning and AI. It's my first tech job right out of college and I've been hear for less than 6 months. My job has been talking about Layoffs for the last 3 months, I've been applying to other jobs like crazy while trying to rush guard units. Today my job announced layoffs. I wouldn't be surprised by the end of the week if I'm gone. The tech industry is in a real rough place. Lot's of layoffs at all levels. I know I can get a retail or fast food job quickly and keep it to pay bills. Would that be looked down though by Guard Units that I apply too/rush?

Would they see my Resume and wonder how I went from tech to flipping burgers or stocking shelves? Maybe I should go back into a blue collar job instead?

They should not look down on you for getting a job and trying to survive. It may look odd on paper, but it's easily explained in an interview. Anyone that would look down on that is a douche and I would not want to fly with them (read: academy grads 😉).

Agreed with LL. I’ve been on a ton of UPT boards. I’d much rather see a young applicant working at Taco Bell than one not working at all, receiving the gov cheese, all while getting their student loans covered. If you had a good job, that you worked hard for, and it went away, and now you’re paying the bills while actively trying for something better shows a lot of character. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, LimaLowdown said:

They should not look down on you for getting a job and trying to survive. It may look odd on paper, but it's easily explained in an interview. Anyone that would look down on that is a douche and I would not want to fly with them (read: academy grads 😉).

My biggest worry if this will effect my chances of getting an interview.

My biggest worry if this will effect my chances of getting an interview.

Anything where you’re working (no pun intended) towards a goal by tackling a challenge and can make it a positive story is not going to negatively impact getting an interview. Lots of people get laid off, so having an interim job while you try getting to another is not a death knell.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...