Nordstream pipeline sabotage?

HeyEng

Russia blew up it's own $11 Billion dollar Nordstream 2 pipeline investment so that it could blame the US for sabotaging it while permanently (forever) severing Europe's ability to purchase energy from Russia through it. They used stealth submarines just off the coast of NATO member countries during a war, covertly planted explosives, then detonated them. By blaming the US and NATO, Russia believes they will garner enough domestic and international support to turn the tide in Ukraine.

It's actually a brilliant strategic plan.

https://seapowermagazine.org/baltops-22-a-perfect-opportunity-for-research-and-resting-new-technology/

• Downvote 2

My wife's Great Grandpa rode in both Oklahoma land runs, he was good on a horse, which means they never sold the mineral rights. Still get royalty checks for wells that pump natural gas. I'm wondering if those royalty checks will be going up now.  

1 hour ago, torqued said:

It's actually a brilliant strategic plan.

I don’t think too many people outside Russia will believe the US is behind this. If by “brilliant strategic plan” you mean Putin committing yet another unforced error and shooting him self in the foot for the umpteenth time, well, ok I guess. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Prozac said:

Putin…shooting him self in the foot for the umpteenth time, well, ok I guess. 

Ya know…I keep waiting for foot to mean face and by figuratively I mean literally…9mm Makarov would solve a lot of problems right now

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very strange story. All of the German & French military officers I still correspond with think the US did this. Seems extremely unlikely to me, but it also seems dumb for Russia to do this as it degrades their leverage over Western Europe. I have no idea what’s happening.

The Russians using their grey forces to do this sounds like a bad exercise road to war script. Can we loan them some screen writers? If we’re going to end up doing this, I at least want a better plot from the Russians.

Just in time for the largest LNG terminal to go on line.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/cheniere-go-ahead-with-texas-corpus-stage-3-lng-export-plant-2022-06-22/

Interesting thing going on here.  Russia Gas lines flow through the Baltic or Ukraine.  They have limited capacity to ship gas on the sea.  For as bad as Russia has handled this war and watching ppl flee maybe they did blow the line to drum up support somehow?

If the US did this it basically secured energy independence for NATO members.  They will be forced to get it from the North Sea and supplemented from the US.

The line can be repaired eventually and maybe that is leverage NATO can hold over Russia to back down?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ecugringo said:

Just in time for the largest LNG terminal to go on line.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/cheniere-go-ahead-with-texas-corpus-stage-3-lng-export-plant-2022-06-22/

Interesting thing going on here.  Russia Gas lines flow through the Baltic or Ukraine.  They have limited capacity to ship gas on the sea.  For as bad as Russia has handled this war and watching ppl flee maybe they did blow the line to drum up support somehow?

If the US did this it basically secured energy independence for NATO members.  They will be forced to get it from the North Sea and supplemented from the US.

The line can be repaired eventually and maybe that is leverage NATO can hold over Russia to back down?

From initial reading this morning, repairs seem unlikely on a couple of them at least.  Don't know the accuracy though. 

23 hours ago, Prosuper said:

My wife's Great Grandpa rode in both Oklahoma land runs, he was good on a horse, which means they never sold the mineral rights. Still get royalty checks for wells that pump natural gas. I'm wondering if those royalty checks will be going up now.  

What's really funny is that when the current administration pushes hard for green energy and limits exploration it means people with currently producing wells get more. Generally speaking.

3 hours ago, fire4effect said:

What's really funny is that when the current administration pushes hard for green energy and limits exploration it means people with currently producing wells get more. Generally speaking.

Last check was $117.00, we bought groceries.

Timing is everything. Does it get any clearer?

Polish and Danish Prime Ministers held a public ceremony to open the Baltic Pipe line on the same day Nordstream 2 was destroyed.

From the article: "Leaders from Poland, Norway and Denmark have attended a ceremony to mark the opening of the new Baltic Pipe, a key stage in the drive to wean Poland and Europe off Russian gas.

The pipeline will transport natural gas from the Norwegian shelf via Denmark and through the Baltic Sea to Poland. It is the centrepiece of a Polish strategy to diversify away from Russia that began years before Moscow’s February invasion of Ukraine triggered a global energy crisis.

The flows from Norway along with supplies via liquefied gas terminals are central to Poland's plan. The country was cut off from Russian gas supplies in April, allegedly for refusing to pay in roubles.

"The era of Russian domination in the field of gas is coming to an end, the era that was marked by blackmail, threats and extortion," Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said at the inauguration at Budno in western Poland.

Norwegian Energy Minister Terje Aasland said it was "an important step on the important road to Europe's independence from Russian energy".

"We must do everything we can to eliminate energy as an instrument of Russian power," added Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. "Together we will defeat Putin." 

https://www.euronews.com/2022/09/27/baltic-pipe-norway-poland-gas-pipeline-opens-in-key-move-to-cut-dependency-on-russia

w_57954926-800x450.jpg

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Also, on that same day the Polish and Danes celebrated the opening of the new pipline, Poland's representative to the European Parliament tweeted  "Thank You, USA" with a picture of the ruptured Russian pipeline.

But Russia did it to themselves. LOL

https://twitter.com/radeksikorski/status/1574800653724966915?s=20&t=EVGK_oNrRPwInUud01r_Eg

FdsHXCaWIB4Pf0q.jpg

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On the day prior to the Nordstream2 attack and opening of the Baltic Pipe line, a large protest was formed by German citizens to pressure the German government to reopen Nordstream 2. There were several reports that members of the German government were considering caving to citizen demands to lower energy costs and strike a deal with Russia and reopen it.

That would have been undesireable.

https://news.yahoo.com/germans-call-nord-stream-2-050655816.html?fr=sychp_catchall

Video:

https://twitter.com/dohelu/status/1575118767176155139?s=20&t=EVGK_oNrRPwInUud01r_Eg

Edited by torqued
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

066A0DD6-E4FF-4B4F-889C-A0196CA7C226.gif

Brother, I get it. I'm not rooting for Russia and Putin. They're absolutely shitty. But I never was in danger of living under a Russian totalitarian state.

What I am concerned about is truth, deception, righteousness, and minimizing the loss of life. I love my country and I truly appreciate the service of everyone who wants to defend it. But what enemies are we sworn to defend it against?

It is uncomfortable to consider that my side, the good guys, could possibly be involved in making poor decisions that result in a worse end state. But I also can't turn a blind eye to the fact our current leadership has fucked up nearly every issue it's faced with. This current leadership engages in relentless propaganda and deceit surrounding the pandemic, the economy, our justice system, democracy, AFGHANISTAN?.

I don't want to believe that we or our allies would risk escalating conflict and plunging millions of european citizens into insecurity and a dramatically reduced standard of living for an unpopular agenda, but the trends indicate otherwise.

I simply don't know... but the probability certainly isn't zero.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, torqued said:

Brother, I get it. I'm not rooting for Russia and Putin. They're absolutely shitty. But I never was in danger of living under a Russian totalitarian state.

What I am concerned about is truth, deception, righteousness, and minimizing the loss of life. I love my country and I truly appreciate the service of everyone who wants to defend it. But what enemies are we sworn to defend it against?

It is uncomfortable to consider that my side, the good guys, could possibly be involved in making poor decisions that result in a worse end state. But I also can't turn a blind eye to the fact our current leadership has fucked up nearly every issue it's faced with. This current leadership engages in relentless propaganda and deceit surrounding the pandemic, the economy, our justice system, democracy, AFGHANISTAN?.

I don't want to believe that we or our allies would risk escalating conflict and plunging millions of european citizens into insecurity and a dramatically reduced standard of living for an unpopular agenda, but the trends indicate otherwise.

I simply don't know... but the probability certainly isn't zero.

Dude it’s because you’re blaming your own country based on theory and conjecture. You’ve come up with a hypothesis based on news articles. Were it an airplane accident, the cultural mantra of “wait until the investigation is complete” would’ve stopped you from publicly drawing conclusions. Yet in this case, you’re willing to do so and throw your own country under the bus. For nothing. That’s why people hate conspiracy theorists.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Dude it’s because you’re blaming your own country based on theory and conjecture. You’ve come up with a hypothesis based on news articles. Were it an airplane accident, the cultural mantra of “wait until the investigation is complete” would’ve stopped you from publicly drawing conclusions. Yet in this case, you’re willing to do so and throw your own country under the bus. For nothing. That’s why people hate conspiracy theorists.

Moose, I did not. You’re conflating “my country” with those making decisions for it. I’m also said I simply don’t know.  To be clear, I don’t think our current leadership would directly commit such an act. They just to fund such things.

Again, I love my country, enough to acknowledge when the probability of our leadership leading it astray is high.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

https://news.sky.com/video/crisis-has-come-to-the-the-baltic-12706950

Interesting take on the situation.  Basically says Putin blew it up to say nothing is safe in the baltic including hte new Polish line.

Met with my contractor the other day who is Polish.  Said the factories are shut 2-3 days a week due to lack of gas to keep them powered.

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Until clear evidence is shown it is only right to keep eyes wide open.  But there is at least visual reference showing strong language from our own President and at least one other governmental worker.  Those videos I posted earlier in this page.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1