C-130 Seat Cushion

HuggyU2

Question was asked and I'm looking for your expertise...

For someone who is 5' 5" and flying the C-130J, they are curious if there's a good seat cushion on the market that is recommended by y'all.  Apparently, the J-model HUD isn't adjustable (brilliant, Lockheed) and it wasn't installed for someone with a shorter seating height.

Do any of you Herc Drivers have any suggestions?  

Thanks.  

8 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

For someone who is 5' 5" and flying the C-130J, they are curious if there's a good seat cushion on the market that is recommended by y'all.  Apparently, the J-model HUD isn't adjustable (brilliant, Lockheed) and it wasn't installed for someone with a shorter seating height.

Thanks.  

https://www.oregonaero.com/accessories/softseat-portable-cushions

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

Thanks.  

Seat all the way up and it should be fine. We have plenty of vertically challenged people flying the Herk that haven’t complained about the hud issue. But if they get the Oregon aero cushion make sure it has the cut out in it like the west does. Btw the hud is projected from the ceiling not off the dash like a fighter si that’s why it doesn’t adjust. 

Does the hud in the airliners adjust? 

Edited by cragspider

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Cragspider:  "make sure it has the cut out in it like the west does"  

I don't know what that means.  

As for HUD's in airliners... I have no clue.  I've never flown with a HUD.  The 787 is the only airliner I could potentially fly that has one.  

The HUD image in the 787 is projected from the ceiling onto the glass which had only two positions: up and stowed or down. You have to adjust the seat to get your eyeballs to the correct focal point. Not sure how that works for the vertically challenged on the low end benchmark but for the vertically challenged on the upper benchmark even with the rudder pedals all the way forward, my legs are scrunched up. It's only an issue when doing multiple engine out takeoffs/approaches in the sim and I don't get a break to stretch my legs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Apparently, the J-model HUD isn't adjustable (brilliant, Lockheed)

Ummm...And it shouldn't be...

As Tree mentioned the HUD has one position down and alignment is based on that position, adjusting the height or angle of the HUD would negate the boresight and alignment of things like the flight path marker...so yeah, brilliant Lockheed.

Seat high is the proper method to align to the sightline of the HUD.

10 hours ago, cragspider said:

Does the hud in the airliners adjust? 

737 HUD doesn't adjust. But the seat and pedals have enough travel that it's never been an issue for my short (5ft7in) self. Good news is I'm one of the few people that doesn't bitch about the 737 cockpit being cramped. 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Ummm...And it shouldn't be...

...so yeah, brilliant Lockheed.

Haha...OK, OK... I should have STFU about something like HUDs that I know nothing about.  I consider myself reprimanded!

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1