Blue Angels Hire Woman into Delta

HuggyU2

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

I’m surprised the Navy would let someone go from one demo team to another back to back but good on her.

Smart move by the Blues.  

it's obvious she is going to have a lot of pressure on her, and media attention/scrutiny.  Fortunately, she will be in El Centro which will insulate her from a lot.  And yes... pilots occasionally do not make it through winter training for the Blues.  

However, as the first woman in the Blues' Delta, they were able to give her a de facto 6+ month interview on the Airshow circuit.  

She's been able to learn the ropes of the airshow circuit, including the personalities and day-to-day grind... and not having to also focus on that should help her make the transition easier.  And she's a crowd favorite.  Just my opinion.

In any case, Stalin's a proven quality demo pilot.  I'm sure she will do great.  

Now... time to start working her right arm to handle the 40 lbs spring...

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, KODAK said:

Stalin is a great aviator who will (continue) to do the Navy proud - she’s prior enlisted maintainer to boot!  An excellent choice.

Just curious if there was ever a prior E to be selected to the T birds or the Blue Angels. 

On 7/20/2022 at 5:10 PM, Prosuper said:

Just curious if there was ever a prior E to be selected to the T birds or the Blue Angels. 

Yes. I know of a few Blues. And I'm sure there's are plenty of Thunderbirds too. 

6 hours ago, Karl Hungus said:

yeah, assumed the Blues woulda had a female pilot circa 2010 or so.  Surprised it took them so long.  Good for her!

Their first pilot, Katie Higgins, was selected in 2014 for the 2015 season (IIRC).  She flew Fat Albert.

I don't know the numbers of women in the Naval tactical aviation, but I would guess it's a smaller number than the AF.