What are my chances? Legacy airline to ANG

Ex-Army fixed wing looking at ANG fighters. Officially getting honorable discharge in Aug with 9 years of service, last 4 as an O-3

AFOQT: 89/82/66/86/44

PCSM: 96

31 Years old

2,800TT (only 130 in helos, the rest is all Multi-turbine fixed wing)

Currently narrow body FO at a legacy airline. Have flown regional and fractional as well in the past. Only 1 unsat maneuver in a mil proficiency ride over 4 years ago, otherwise clean training record.

Really hoping to push the angle that since I am fully established in my civilian career, I can put it to the side to  just build seniority fully dedicate myself to the Guard. Also, coming in as a senior captain, soon to be major, I am hoping to play the argument that since the AF has a retention problem losing young captains to the airlines, I'd be potentially filling a retention void since I'd be hanging around at the very least until my 20 yr retirement. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey - I am also in a more or less similar boat. However, I am currently a FO at a regional airline. I am 33 years old (knowing full well I need a waiver right off the bat) currently studying for the AFOQT and looking to apply to Guard units as well. I do think that to a certain extent, civilian flight time and credentials will help in separating you from another candidate in the case for heavies/transport, especially assuming you have some PIC time. But this is pure conjecture. With regard to fast-movers, (which I am also chasing), this may very well work for or against individuals like us. The truth is I'm still in the process of learning about that too.

I am also taking this angle to a degree as far as the pilot retention issue is concerned, but more so that I have experience as an aviator, and that my age, in a way, is an advantage since I have more life experience and am a serious since I'm 33 and still want to fly fighters. What I hope can be made clear is that, if given this opportunity (a UPT slot for fighters), folks like you and me will literally drop everything to make it happen (in the very least I can speak for myself here). 

• 3 weeks later...

Flying experience is good to have, but your real hurdle is age at this point. You need a pretty convincing cover letter and package to support that you’re well above average and worth interviewing over all the applicants who are in their young to mid 20s. Experience is certainly a quality, but there is a point of diminishing returns, especially in the fighter world. That said, we’ve had several boards in a row that we’ve interviewed 30+ yr old individuals because they appeared pretty exceptional, some of them got hired. Point is, still worth putting the effort in, but know you need to really wow in your package (starting with cover letter) to get the attention needed to secure an interview. In person visits prior is a good way to give that a boost as well.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:24 PM, FliesForLunch said:

Ex-Army fixed wing looking at ANG fighters. Officially getting honorable discharge in Aug with 9 years of service, last 4 as an O-3

AFOQT: 89/82/66/86/44

PCSM: 96

31 Years old

2,800TT (only 130 in helos, the rest is all Multi-turbine fixed wing)

Currently narrow body FO at a legacy airline. Have flown regional and fractional as well in the past. Only 1 unsat maneuver in a mil proficiency ride over 4 years ago, otherwise clean training record.

Really hoping to push the angle that since I am fully established in my civilian career, I can put it to the side to  just build seniority fully dedicate myself to the Guard. Also, coming in as a senior captain, soon to be major, I am hoping to play the argument that since the AF has a retention problem losing young captains to the airlines, I'd be potentially filling a retention void since I'd be hanging around at the very least until my 20 yr retirement. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Go find a heavy unit. You don’t need the AFOQT since you’re already a commissioned officer and you don’t need to go to UPT since you’re already an Army pilot with over 1500 (or whatever the reg is these days) hrs in multi engine airplanes.  Straight to the school house.