Graduating college in a year. What are my chances?

I'm one year out from graduating at this point, so I can start the process. I'd like to fly a fighter in the ANG/reserve, but I wouldn't mind taking my chances with AD (well, I kind of mind)

Degree and GPA: 3.7 in Electrical Engineering, specialization in RF and photonics

AFOQT: 99/98/99/92/84/93

PCSM: 99

LORs: LOR from my principal investigator of the student satellite program that I am in.

Flight Experience: PPL with 80 hours.

Extracurriculars: Currently the Chief Engineer for a student satellite program. I also have an internship at that same program working on a funded project that should be launching in 2024.

I've been studying for the tests and I think that I am prepared. I'd really like to get the ball rolling in this process.

Also, on another note: would anyone have any information on Osgood Schlatter's disease, and whether or not a surgery to remove a small piece of bone would disqualify me (or at least require a waiver)?

Edited by liquidhydrogen

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, 

In general, you need to think about the Guard and Guard fighter spots through 3 dimensions:

1) Numbers

2) Experience

3) Fit

Within numbers: your gpa is great in a technical major; I would assume you'll do decent on the AFOQT but you need to just go take it. PCSM is similarly likely either going to be decent with the 80 hours or you'll need to figure out a way to boost it. Bottom line: the numbers look good / I'd have no reason to think they'll hurt you. Take the tests.

Within experience: I divide this up into three categories, aviation, military, and other. For aviation: An 80 hour PPL is better than a 40 hour PPL but is worse than a 200 hour instrument rated pilot and all of these are worse than a 1000 hour dude flying for the regionals. For military: you don't have any mil experience, so a squadron will need a compelling reason to hire you over some dude who has been enlisted for a few years and deployed with them (all else being equal, which it never is). For other: this is where work experience and stuff comes in; it appears this is a little weak, mostly because you're 21. Definitely seek out the internships and work opportunities (this applies regardless of guard fighter pursuits). Bottom line: your 80 hour PPL probably won't help or hurt you with a Guard fighter unit (i.e. nobody will give you crap or be super impressed); your lack of mil experience will hurt you relative to someone who has it; your minimal work experience will hurt you relative to someone who has it. 

Within fit: you need to go rush and see how you fit in the unit. There's a chance some squadron loves you and hires you at the next board, there's another chance they think you're weird and don't want to hire you ever. You need to go out and rush units to see how you mesh (or don't) with each squadron. 

So, in summary: you're young - a lot of people who get hired get hired in their mid 20s, not when they're 21 (although it does happen on occasion). Continue to seek out leadership and work experiences in line with your professional goals. Rush, talk to people, and you'll have a good shot at being competitive. The nice thing about starting this off so young is you have a lot of time to figure it all out.

For medical: not a doctor, but go read the regs (google), and don't tell the military anything until you figure out exactly what you had and have.