FAA Mil Comp

Standby

Not the answer you want, but call the specific FSDO you'll be asking for your type.  I've found their understanding of the rules varies wildly and therefore so does their enforcement and application.  i.e. Dallas FSDO didn't want to give me the CFII because the dude was ex-Army and didn't understand the scope of an AF IP Form 8.  

Edited by nunya
details, details
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nunya said:

Not the answer you want, but call the FSDO you'll be asking for your type.  I've found their understanding of the rules varies wildly and therefore so does their enforcement and application.  i.e. Dallas FSDO didn't want to give me the CFII because the dude was ex-Army and didn't understand the scope of an AF Form 8.  

Happy to hear that shoe clerking isn’t just an AF pastime. /s

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nunya said:

Not the answer you want, but call the specific FSDO you'll be asking for your type.  I've found their understanding of the rules varies wildly and therefore so does their enforcement and application.  i.e. Dallas FSDO didn't want to give me the CFII because the dude was ex-Army and didn't understand the scope of an AF IP Form 8.  

This right here. Was my exact experience getting dealing with them.

Same. I ended up going to my congressman after 3 different FSDO’s all disagreed and were overruled by the FAA main office. Wrote up an MFR and attached all pertinent documents and regulations and got what I wanted (Renewal of expired CFI via mil comp). 

BL - Have your ducks in a row when you show up and BPT endure a headache.

• Like 1

Thanks for the gouge. Tried three times (just today) to speak with my local FSDO, and one across state lines. Nobody is answering. Called a DPE who said my situation should be no problem. In case anybody is curious: 14 CFR 61.1

Pilot time means that time in which a person - 

(i) Serves as a required pilot flight crewmember; 

(ii) Receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device; 

(iii) Gives training as an authorized instructor in an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device; or 

(iv) Serves as second in command in operations conducted in accordance with § 135.99(c) of this chapter when a second pilot is not required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted, provided the requirements in § 61.159(c) are satisfied.

Quite applicable because it’s the basis for 14 CFR 61.73 which governs Mil Comp matters…be them certificates, or ratings. 

• 4 months later...

Thread revival,

When reinstating an expired CFI using military competency, did anybody have issues reinstating all ratings? I’ve got an expired CFI/CFII, ASEL but my most recent mil instructor checkride was in a multi-engine aircraft. When I talked to the FSDO today, they told me they would only issue a MEL rating, but not renew ASEL or instrument instructor ratings… which is worthless and would mean taking two additional checkrides if I ever wanted to teach a kid to fly an ILS in a -152.

Anybody encounter this situation before and figure out how to get the FAA to press the logic button? Anybody do this within a day’s drive of San Antonio who might have a more favorable FSDO’s interpretation?

I would very clearly end up with CFI, CFII, MEI if I were to take an MEI ride with a DPE in a Seminole… why does doing it in a fighter jet mean that I never held a CFI/CFII?  The guy actually suggested “just see if your command will run you through a quick single engine course.” [Face palm]

61.199 addresses your specific situation. Having said all this, save yourself time and effort and draft up a MFR with appropriate docs and send it to your congressman for help with a federal agency. That’s what I did and got it fixed in a week after trying with 3 FSDO’s and getting nowhere.

On this note, I started this battle in 2015 and followed all the processes for petitioning for a reg change and worked for years to finally get it pushed through. It finally happened and then the FAA wouldn’t honor it. Broke my spirit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danger41 said:

61.199 addresses your specific situation. Having said all this, save yourself time and effort and draft up a MFR with appropriate docs and send it to your congressman for help with a federal agency. That’s what I did and got it fixed in a week after trying with 3 FSDO’s and getting nowhere.

On this note, I started this battle in 2015 and followed all the processes for petitioning for a reg change and worked for years to finally get it pushed through. It finally happened and then the FAA wouldn’t honor it. Broke my spirit.

Yeah, 61.199 apparently isn’t specific enough to avoid the idiocy.  That is heartbreaking; was hoping to find a FSDO that gets it rather than having to fight to execute law… maybe that’s too idealistic. 

7 hours ago, jice said:

Yeah, 61.199 apparently isn’t specific enough to avoid the idiocy.  That is heartbreaking; was hoping to find a FSDO that gets it rather than having to fight to execute law… maybe that’s too idealistic. 

Yeah dude. I wasn’t being flippant when I said to go the congressional route. Don’t be like me and waste years with these people.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:08 PM, Danger41 said:

after trying with 3 FSDO’s and getting nowhere

I don't care what Penny Benjamin you knocked up...that story has to be amazing!

....but did you die?

Edited by FourFans130

• 1 year later...

If you can actually get an appointment at a FSDO location you want on a timeline you’re cool with, go for it. If you can’t meet one of those two, then just pay a DPE and be done with it. As far as ease, you can email everything to a DPE (they do need to check your ID). If you go the FSDO route, it’ll be a couple hours of your time sitting there (in my experience). So ease probably mostly depends on how close you are to a FSDO.

7 hours ago, justlooking said:

why would someone pay a DPE when you can do it for free at a FSDO?

Because FSDO competence varies wildly. An ex-Army FSDO inspector didn't want to give me the CFII because my Form 8 didn't specify "Instrument Instructor." Had to convince him that our Qual Form 8 included instruments.

3 hours ago, nunya said:

Because FSDO competence varies wildly. An ex-Army FSDO inspector didn't want to give me the CFII because my Form 8 didn't specify "Instrument Instructor." Had to convince him that our Qual Form 8 included instruments.

Competence...arrogance, ignorance, righteousness, etc...  It's always amazed me how much the different FSDO's are NOT on the same page on things.  FSDO shopping shouldn't be a thing, but it is.  As to the original question, many FSDO's just don't have the time/man power so a DPE is just much easier.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ViperMan said:

Had no luck when I tried with a FSDO. They straight up told me "we don't do those anymore." I was like "What??? How does a government office literally just shed one of their stated duties?" 

I was not given a satisfactory answer. $85 to the DPE it was.

At least write your congressional representation to let them know. One thing Reps and Senators can be relied on for is to be angry at federal agencies that screw their constituents.

• Upvote 1

At Little Rick FSDO the guy allowed 1 or 2 specific days per mo where he would do these types of services, by appointment only, so if that matches up with your schedule you can save a few bucks. But he was unfamiliar with a wide variety of things such as the aforementioned IP check=CFII, refused to do NVG endorsement bc of unfamiliarity, window for CFI renewal while keeping your same exp mo, and others. Except for NVG he was able to be persuaded, but this comes down to the individual bureaucrat you deal with. I used him for CFI renewal 4 times, back when I was renewing based on recurrent mil IP check rides. 

My favorite was my "local" FSDO was in Birmingham, AL when I lived in Destin. 4 hour one way drive. Went up there, she was good and signed everything off, sent it to the FAA HQ and they rejected it. That's when I got the congressman involved, changed nothing, and they approved it. What a country!

1 hour ago, brabus said:

@Chida How does NVG play into the FAA world? I had no idea that was even a thing outside of mil/LEO.

FAR 61.195.k.

It has to be a majority fling wing thing, but there's probably a fixed wing operator somewhere outside of the contractors doing NVG ops.

Edited by nunya