2023 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Jam

6 minutes ago, SOF_CSO said:

How do you know if you are an alternate? If you are selected for RPA would you be an alternate for UPT or is there a specific alternate list for UPT?

There is an alternate list with 26 people on it. It is not broken down however. I reached out to AFPC this morning to see if they could tell me who is an alternate for what and how we rack and stack but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLM12 said:

So now, does anyone have any insight on when assignment notifications drop?

I assume it's also a full PCS, but for us single people, I'm sure we'll be in dorms and will need to put most of our stuff in storage for UPT/UCT/URT

I found out in February last year via the EFMP method but I got my actual notification in March.

• Thanks 1

Was not selected this year, first attempt.

- 99 PCSM
- 86 Pilot
- No PPL
- 4 of 4 in SQ, unknown WG strat

My next attempt will require an age waiver.

Areas of improvement:

- Better bullets
- More leadership roles
- PPL

I'm disappointed, but mostly in myself. There was some extremely high competition this year, and I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to go for this board. I made them say "no", and will keep doing so until I'm politely shown the door. Until then, I'm recaged and motivated to see this through.

Congratulations to all selectees!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Flyinghobbit said:

Feel free to dm me your name and I can see if you’re on the alternate. 

Thanks, but I found out I got alternate. Still confused why I wasn't selected but I'll just reapply next year. Congrats on getting selected!

Follow up question for the group: anybody have any data on alternate selections? Like how many traditionally get picked up ultimately? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:

Thanks, but I found out I got alternate. Still confused why I wasn't selected but I'll just reapply next year. Congrats on getting selected!

Follow up question for the group: anybody have any data on alternate selections? Like how many traditionally get picked up ultimately? 

I found out today that 20 of the 26 alternates are UPT. They wouldn't tell me rack and stack or how many of the 6 left are CSO, ABM, or URT. They said they will have all declinations by end of January and will work on filling slots through February and if picked up from the alternate list I will know by end of February.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyingHog said:

I found out today that 20 of the 26 alternates are UPT. They wouldn't tell me rack and stack or how many of the 6 left are CSO, ABM, or URT. They said they will have all declinations by end of January and will work on filling slots through February and if picked up from the alternate list I will know by end of February.

That's really helpful for expectation management! I feel like someone declining their pilot slot would be rare though.

I assumed the alternates would be more for those who medically DQ. But they won't know who failed MFS until after February I would imagine. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bama said:

Me and the rest of the 26 alternates lol. Does anyone know how you’re notified if you’ve been picked up from the alternate list?

28B3E353-0F9B-4EF9-A51C-5E9838880C07.jpeg

Someone previously mentioned alternates will know by the end of February one way or the other. Idk how they get notified though

4 minutes ago, Dash1isoptional said:

Hopefully they’ll go to your base and pick you up in a T-6 😂 I bet the CC will get an email or a call and notify us

LMAO...They, AFPC, told me, "We will be reaching out via email if any slots open up. We should have all declinations by end of Jan and will be working backfills during Feb. If we get to you, you should hear from us by the end of Feb."

• Like 1

So I sat down with my Gp/CC today to get feedback about what he thinks happened (why Iower stratted guys from the wing got picked up with objectively worse packages). 

Best guess is it was more subjective based on letter of rec and personal letter. The other 2 have stronger bullets by virtue of simply doing the job longer. We are all the same AFSC, but I've been operational only a year, they've been operational 2-3 years. He didn't sugarcoat it, he says mine was "more fluff"  because I just didn't have as many things I could say yet. 

I'm glad I got feedback from him. He doesn't know what AFPC specifically looked at but that's his best guess because all of my scores and numbers on the AF215 were better than theirs. It's encouraging that all I have to do is continue doing my job well for the next year and accumulate stronger bullets. 

If anybody is confused, I recommend getting feedback!

Edit: he also said he would look into the alternate process and would get back to me with any info. I'll pass that along on here when he does!

Edited by goboldtigers
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:

So I sat down with my Gp/CC today to get feedback about what he thinks happened (why Iower stratted guys from the wing got picked up with objectively worse packages). 

Best guess is it was more subjective based on letter of rec and personal letter. The other 2 have stronger bullets by virtue of simply doing the job longer. We are all the same AFSC, but I've been operational only a year, they've been operational 2-3 years. He didn't sugarcoat it, he says mine was "more fluff"  because I just didn't have as many things I could say yet. 

I'm glad I got feedback from him. He doesn't know what AFPC specifically looked at but that's his best guess because all of my scores and numbers on the AF215 were better than theirs. It's encouraging that all I have to do is continue doing my job well for the next year and accumulate stronger bullets. 

Edit: he also said he would look into the alternate process and would get back to me with any info. I'll pass that along on here when he does!

That's great feedback, hoping you get picked up for alternate.

PPL also seemed like a huge plus for this year

1 hour ago, Ganderly8 said:

That's great feedback, hoping you get picked up for alternate.

PPL also seemed like a huge plus for this year

Agreed. It seemed like a very competitive board overall. The portal has average numbers for the last several years. I'm very curious to see how this year's board compares. Based on numbers, it looks like mine are right there with everybody else's that got selected, so PPL and letters might be the deciding factors

2 hours ago, goboldtigers said:

100%. My package was crap last year and I got 5 of 5 at the WG this year I was 1 and 4 and selected. I as a person didn't change but the stuff in my package made me look better. Give it a year and you'll have a lot more "cred" 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I truly had a "come to Jesus" moment regarding my work performance and what it's going to take to become what the AF needs its pilots to be.

I believe the PPL shows the board that you're serious, have "skin in the game", and willing to burn your own cash down to pursue what's essentially a more difficult job for the same pay. It'll also avoid having to go to IFT, saving the AF money and allows the pipeline for training to be slightly more streamlined.

• Upvote 1