What should I do in highschool to get a pilot slot?

Trutan

43 minutes ago, LAW428 said:

Get good grades and enlist in a guard fighter unit near you when you turn 17 as a crew chief. I would also get a PPL. Get somewhat good grades in college. 

Can I enlist and be in college at the same time?

Either enlist like above, or do very well in high school and play sports, then go to the Academy for college, do ROTC, or finish college and apply for OTS. Do what makes sense for you. If you dont have interest in being a crew chief or any other enlisted job, then dont go that route. If you do then by all means send it. While it can work, enlisting in a unit is not a fool proof way to snag a slot. There are many roads to take, do some reading on here about the various paths and start navigating down one that makes the most sense to you. 

The only thing I would be worried about going through rotc or the academy is what if I don't get a pilot slot, I don't really have any interest in that much other than flying

Then you owe 4-5 years of service (and may not have any college debt if you go academy or get a ROTC scholarship). Similar commitment if you enlist in a guard unit to try and improve your chances getting hired there.

If it's something you want to do, work hard to build a competitive package whichever route you want to go. Do well academically in HS, competitive athletics, find leadership opportunities, etc.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:00 PM, Trutan said:

The only thing I would be worried about going through rotc or the academy is what if I don't get a pilot slot, I don't really have any interest in that much other than flying

Then enlisting doesn't seem to be a good option for you either. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 5:12 PM, Trutan said:

Enlisting as a crew chief would get me used to the environment and I would learn some things no?

Yes, but you just stated you are worried about not getting a pilot slot if you go ROTC or USAFA. Enlisting can be a great way to get where you want to go, but you need to understand all facets of each path. You still need to go to school and get a degree if you enlist, and you'll have to postpone school for a little while as you are trained and spun up as a crew chief or whatever job you do. Its a great way to get to know the jet and crew like stated above, but dont enlist because you thinks its a guarantee to wings. Enlist because you want to enlist and kick ass at that job. If flying and flying only is your sole objective, options like ROTC, USAFA, OTS boards or applying to guard reserve squadrons is your best best at only flying. 

USAFA is your best best at only flying. 

If you’re medically qualified, you will get a pilot slot out of USAFA. My roommate was initially given a Nav slot because his grades were terrible. It was changed to pilot because the Academy didn’t fill all of its slots. They should have stuck with their initial decision…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

If you’re medically qualified, you will get a pilot slot out of USAFA. My roommate was initially given a Nav slot because his grades were terrible. It was changed to pilot because the Academy didn’t fill all of its slots. They should have stuck with their initial decision…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be the case right now, but its not always the case. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 6:36 AM, Guardian said:

There is no guarantee. Figure out what you want your end goal to be. Figure out what paths it takes to get there. Choose one that suits you best. Work your butt off to get it. Make people tell you no.

Have you considered becoming a motivational speaker?