Part time, non-flying guard/reserve jobs in DFW?

I’m gonna be moving to the DFW area when I separate from AD this year. I’ll be going airlines for my civilian job, but thought I’d try something less-traditional and see if anyone here has experience/advice on how to go about finding a part time, non-flying position at a local unit? I’ve looked on the reserve vacancies list on vMPF but can’t seem to find anything useful or informative. 

I’m aware of the ALO gig, but want something to fall back on that pays should Isom not cut the mustard at American in the next few years… Any advice would be much appreciated!

53 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

10th AF is in Fort Worth, if I remember correctly. I remember seeing jobs there pop up occasionally.

Awesome. Where have you seen their jobs posted? I checked their website and didn’t find much, so I contacted them via their “contact us” link. 

Is there a better way to get info on what’s available out there I wonder?

Awesome. Where have you seen their jobs posted? I checked their website and didn’t find much, so I contacted them via their “contact us” link. 

At various times on the reserve vacancies site, but I admit I haven’t looked in a few months. I’m sure you are doing this, but I was always looking one rank up and down in the columns for that.
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

You could always just look up 10 AF/A1M  org box on global and ask.

reserve vacancies only show when the billet is empty. There are a lot of billets than be overaged as long as there isn’t an over grade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

At various times on the reserve vacancies site, but I admit I haven’t looked in a few months. I’m sure you are doing this, but I was always looking one rank up and down in the columns for that.

I've always heard that one up/one down is a possibility, but is it usually a slam dunk in practice? Asking as an O-4 eyeing some O-5 billets. I would imagine most of these billet owners can't be too choosy, but my SA on this stuff is marginal.

I've always heard that one up/one down is a possibility, but is it usually a slam dunk in practice? Asking as an O-4 eyeing some O-5 billets. I would imagine most of these billet owners can't be too choosy, but my SA on this stuff is marginal.

In my search, the billet rank wasn’t a problem when I was looking at O-5 ones for what it’s worth. AFSC changes for those billets are what nixed it.

19 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

In my search, the billet rank wasn’t a problem when I was looking at O-5 ones for what it’s worth. AFSC changes for those billets are what nixed it.

When you say AFSC changes, do you mean issues with a guy changing his AFSC from 11X to 16X (or whatever it is on staff), or do you mean AFPC/ARPC changing the billet’s required AFSC to something that your average pilot can’t easily attain?

When you say AFSC changes, do you mean issues with a guy changing his AFSC from 11X to 16X (or whatever it is on staff), or do you mean AFPC/ARPC changing the billet’s required AFSC to something that your average pilot can’t easily attain?

Several O-5 billets being changed to non-pilot AFSCs while I was in the process of applying for them . It was easier to take a job with a different pilot AFSC than my own.
  • Thanks 1