Hi-Fi Gear

Khruangbin33

Open invite to merge this with the "Things to Listen to While Drunk on BO" thread...but here's the equipment angle.

Does anyone here have a sweet stereo setup?  Thinking about ditching my 2000's era 5.1 stuff and buying some restored vintage equipment for a 2.1 setup.  Or, after 10 years and 1500+ hours of jet noise and another 10-20 to go, should I even bother?

Keep the receiver unless you don't like it, and just get a pair of quality floor/bookshelf speakers.  Don't really need a sub if you got decent woofers.  Just ask my neighbors.  If you want to impress your friends with $$$$, just get a set of the revitalized JBL L100.  About $2K each.

If you want vintage, a great source is goodwill.com as they auction off all the best donated stuff.  I got a 2nd Sony receiver for the garage for under $25.  Some get speakers off there as the crossovers are great and refurb them with replacement speakers.

Edited by disgruntledemployee
more info

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, Khruangbin33 said:

Open invite to merge this with the "Things to Listen to While Drunk on BO" thread...but here's the equipment angle.

Does anyone here have a sweet stereo setup?  Thinking about ditching my 2000's era 5.1 stuff and buying some restored vintage equipment for a 2.1 setup.  Or, after 10 years and 1500+ hours of jet noise and another 10-20 to go, should I even bother?

What did you end up going with?

I recently acquired a restored vintage receiver and had it in my living room for 2 months before I got vetoed by the wife due to no remote control.  It now resides in the bedroom.

3 hours ago, Slow-Smooth-Fast said:

What did you end up going with?

I recently acquired a restored vintage receiver and had it in my living room for 2 months before I got vetoed by the wife due to no remote control.  It now resides in the bedroom.

Perfect, use it when your GF is over!

• Haha 1