OPR Static Close Out

CaptainMorgan

52 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

I’m guess I’m just a knuckle dragger, but can someone break down why this is a good thing?  Feels like change for changes sake. 

Dawg,

Here's my take--this no shit goes a long way to end speeding on stratification.  The question is can we (the member or the organization..you decide) handle that level of honesty?

What remains to be seen, is there a sweet spot for PCSes? Is there now a dead spot in the calendar where you don't want to move?  I dunno, but I am sure these are issues that will become clear once we go through the beta test.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pitt4401 said:

Dawg,

Here's my take--this no shit goes a long way to end speeding on stratification.  The question is can we (the member or the organization..you decide) handle that level of honesty?

What remains to be seen, is there a sweet spot for PCSes? Is there now a dead spot in the calendar where you don't want to move?  I dunno, but I am sure these are issues that will become clear once we go through the beta test.

Static dates for OPRs in the Navy has been a thing for a long time. While there are some differences in ranking, etc, the questions you raise are very much an issue when writing paper on folks. It created quite the challenge to give a solid dude good evals if his PCS timing was wonky. Things like moving PCS dates, sending a guy TDY, etc, were all utilized to try and help make the reports look as good (and as long) as possible.

Length of the report was also a huge deal. For example, a guy who had a 1 of 10 with 12 months on his report carried a helluva lot more weight at boards as a guy who was 1 of 10 with only 5 months. In other words, will a CRO report help/hurt/no difference on a guy, since he’ll still also have to do a report at the static date. 

I suspect this will be an ongoing problem as we switch to static close outs. 

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 1

Understand the issues it may cause for the AD, but this will be a welcome change for the ANG.  It will be a lot easier to know I just need to set aside an extra pay card or two every April to knock them all out, rather than randomly dealing with them throughout the year.  We need to take it one step further and separate the process from the AD and switch to an OPR every 3-5 years for DSGs.  It's ridiculous to generate a yearly OPR for our DSGs, especially ones that simply do the minimum of what's asked of them (nothing wrong with that).  What bullet do write for that, go his sorties, most months... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dream big said:

Capt and Lt close out season is going to be a nightmare for the front office folks in a flying squadron.  Unless they break it down further by year groups? 

The closeout season obviously has to follow the calendar year.

Reapers,

Please see the timeline below for our new OPR static closeouts. 

LtCol and below:

• Bullets due to your friendly Sq Execs by the fourth Friday in November
  • OPRs due to the Group on 26 December
  • OPRs due to the Wing on 2 January.  

Thank you for your service,

Reaper 1

25 minutes ago, nunya said:

The closeout season obviously has to follow the calendar year.

Why would we do this to ourselves? Make them due in June, match them up to PCS cycles, and don't have to worry about every support office and exec being on leave while you try to submit your OPR.

Edit: nevermind, just saw Genie's post. Doesn't look terrible. 

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

Logically, this should end all annual awards, right? CGO OTY is the dude with the highest strat, done. No 1206 required, no bullshit boards.

You could AFWERX the shit out if this idea with how many man-hours it would save. Whatever knock off of shark tank we’re into this week.
“Save $6.9B a year”
“How difficult is the technical development.”
“There is none, we just simply do it.”

My biggest beef with the OPR and EPR systems is that the damn thing 'just has to be done' by the closeout date. Once everyone backs up their due dates, you are usually cutting out 2-3 months of data. I've personally seen this 'gap' cause problems for people. I've never understood the obsession with the closeout date as opposed to having a good 12 month picture.

Why can't we do something like this:

1. You cannot start writing a report until the first day after 365 days.

2. From that day, you have 'X' months to close the report out.

This creates a 12 month report followed by a 'X' month window to write/close out. But you are capturing 12 months of data rather than 9-10.

Same theory goes for annual awards too. I put a squadron in for a significant award based on a huge mission they accomplished towards the end of the calendar year. The HAF response: 'oh closeout for submissions was EOM October.' The wing and MAJCOM fought against this, but the HAF people stood by their decision. (this was a few years back, so who knows if they have changed that policy)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, contraildash said:

My biggest beef with the OPR and EPR systems is that the damn thing 'just has to be done' by the closeout date. Once everyone backs up their due dates, you are usually cutting out 2-3 months of data. I've personally seen this 'gap' cause problems for people. I've never understood the obsession with the closeout date as opposed to having a good 12 month picture.

This creates a 12 month report followed by a 'X' month window to write/close out. But you are capturing 12 months of data rather than 9-10.

Same theory goes for annual awards too. I put a squadron in for a significant award based on a huge mission they accomplished towards the end of the calendar year. The HAF response: 'oh closeout for submissions was EOM October.' The wing and MAJCOM fought against this, but the HAF people stood by their decision. (this was a few years back, so who knows if they have changed that policy)

90% of OPRs are meaningless fluff anyway, so I don't see it making the slightest difference when they close out or what amount of time gets cut off. And any of the HPOs who actually give a shit about strats and capturing the end of year data will just pre-empt the bullets anyway. 

21 hours ago, dream big said:

Capt and Lt close out season is going to be a nightmare for the front office folks in a flying squadron.  Unless they break it down further by year groups? 

It's really no different than the mountain of enlisted EPRs that support squadrons have. Some MX and security forces squadrons have 300+ individuals.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:44 AM, Breckey said:

It's really no different than the mountain of enlisted EPRs that support squadrons have. Some MX and security forces squadrons have 300+ individuals.

Yeah, however a majority of those EPR’s close out at the squadron, since they’re for junior enlisted. Unlike even the most junior CGO OPR that goes up to at least the group level.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:22 PM, contraildash said:

I don't think I've had a single OPR in my career submitted to the queep gods earlier than 2-3 months late. Never affected my career.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:26 AM, SocialD said:

We need to take it one step further and separate the process from the AD and switch to an OPR every 3-5 years for DSGs.  It's ridiculous to generate a yearly OPR for our DSGs, especially ones that simply do the minimum of what's asked of them (nothing wrong with that).  What bullet do write for that, go his sorties, most months... 

Ugh, so true. On the bright side, no more CRO reports? Including the worthless CRO OPR they made me do when my boss retired plus this new SCOD, that’ll put me at 6 OPRs during my first 4 years as a Guard DSG. Comes out to a new OPR for every 26 days of actual duty.
“Physically present! Proved existence at regular intervals--enhanced recollection for 40+ unit mbrs” 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Haha 4