Need Advice. Casual LT with family hardship

Kiloalpha

I’ll make this short. I have a parent who recently got a bad medical diagnosis. I’m a casual LT at a UPT base 17 hours away by car, and 5-6 hours away by plane. I don’t have a ton of leave, but enough where I can make a few trips home. Not nearly enough to make regular trips though. I’m likely to be in casual status for at least 6 months.

I want to be closer to help out for treatments and be around in case things turn for the worst. From the research I’ve done, there’s a few types of emergency leave, but they max out quickly and will put me into a negative balance that it’ll take forever to rebound from.

I can’t request a humanitarian move due to the fact a gaining base in the area would need a 92T0. 

A sabbatical might work? But I’ll owe even more time (such is the nature) and I’m not sure how that’ll impact the AF sending me to UPT/career prospects.

There’s discharge options, but they’re not something I want to consider.

Is there anything else I’m missing? Any options I should consider or info I’ve put down here that’s wrong?

Appreciate any insights. I plan on talking with the CC after the holiday's, but I’d like to have some options at least on the table beforehand.

KA,

I'd look into the Gold Bar Recruiter Program. With your family hardship, you may be able to find a way to spend a considerable amount of time back home at your local recruiting office or ROTC detachment instead of bumming around the  UPT student squadron for 6+ months. 

Research it and arm yourself with a plan, even if the regs don't necessarily say it's doable. Good leadership will pick up the phone and start making calls on your behalf, especially if it makes sense.

Edited by CPE1704TKS
  • Upvote 2

@nunya is spot on. Shirts can do some mountain moving. During the height of ‘vids last year I went to the shirt for some childcare issues as I was finishing up UPT and had a newborn and they had it squared away in a day or two. I’m still new (and not AD), so I’m not sure what all is possible; but the Shirt knows and their sole job is to help get what you need. Loop in your CC so they know, but I’d imagine should be able to get something worked out. 

Good luck with it all and don’t hesitate to reach out for help from your peers. 

Recruiter, local assignment, and even a humanitarian assignment would be doable. 100% have a plan and put in the work so when you present a plan, you help aid the CC in decision making.

It may be unpleasant, but also have the diagnosis and prognosis factored into your “pitch” to your boss. Best of luck.

I don’t know the details but my unit got a couple of casual LTs from a UPT base to help out around squadron for 6-9 months while they wait to start UPT. It’s a long shot but if there is a Air Force base that’s somewhat close to your family (at least close enough to drive to them on the weekends) you might be able to sell a alternative duty location/or get into that casual Lt program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Talk to the shirt. Talk to the transition flight commander. There may be ways to send a casual to a nearby base in a case like this.

Casuals have recently been farmed out to other bases for 6-9 months leaving the casual population at the UPT bases lower than it had been. A humanitarian move may be possible. Talk to your STUS leadership, that’s what they’re for. I would know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk