AD USAF to USN Reserves

Danger41

Anyone ever heard of it? Any advice? Standard POC on the announcement is like trying to find Bin Laden before that redhead got on the case.

Looking at possibly making the jump and teaching NFO’s while tooling around in a T-45. Or a Super Hornet if they’ll take me.

I know a few that have done it. The squadrons will put out messages for hiring boards, which are typically twice a year. The actual process is fairly close to how it is to join the AF reserve, with a few differences here and there. 

I keep in touch with a lot of my old Navy bros, shoot me a PM and I’ll try to link you up with someone. 

Danger...hit me up with a PM....include your email and phone.  I just turned over the NALE job with an 0-6 that works at the TRAWING down there in P-Cola....I will push you his info.  He would be a good POC to get some gouge.

Cheers

ATIS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as a point of reference, the specific job that you are referring to (VT-86 T-45C advanced SNFO flight instruction at NAS Pensacola) is considered a good place for Navy jet guys; plenty of students and flight time.  So those few spots, active duty and FTS/ reserve, are coveted.  I’ve heard of several Navy jet guys successfully transitioning to the ANG but I don’t know of any Air Force folks here.  All that said, stranger things have certainly happened.  Good luck!

7 hours ago, KODAK said:

Just as a point of reference, the specific job that you are referring to (VT-86 T-45C advanced SNFO flight instruction at NAS Pensacola) is considered a good place for Navy jet guys; plenty of students and flight time.  So those few spots, active duty and FTS/ reserve, are coveted.  I’ve heard of several Navy jet guys successfully transitioning to the ANG but I don’t know of any Air Force folks here.  All that said, stranger things have certainly happened.  Good luck!

You got it. Also plan to apply for VT-10 and see what happens. Looking at the application it’s basically the same as AF application but in funny Navy speak. 

One thing my bro in that squadron told me is that there isn’t the rushing the frat style ANG thing which is pretty interesting to me. Honestly glad about that after basically wasting a couple grand flying to multiple units (admittedly got multiple offers/interviews) just before covid hit and losing all of that with nothing to show for it. 

I was active AF and went Navy Reserve.  I'm currently the XO (DO) of my Reserve Squadron Augment Unit...we're integrated with an active duty squadron.  The application is an odd process compared to how someone would join the guard or AF reserves and there are a couple reasons why. 

Right now, there are just so many current and qualified Navy applicants for only a few slots.  And the Navy Reserve doesn't take people off the street...just already winged .mil pilots.  They do an Aviation Selection Board every quarter (generally...sometimes they skip a quarter if there are no openings).  I was an active duty AF IP at Whiting and had every standardization (STAN/EVAL) qualification, FITU (their version of PIT) instructor, with letters of recommendation from several Navy Squadron Commanders (my own and sister squadron skippers that I instructed when they came through the FITU) and one from the Commodore.  When I applied and was selected (in 2015) there was zero chance of anyone getting selected without Navy T6 time.  

After that, it was a 10 month process to transfer all my AF stuff over to Navy.  It was about as fun as shitting a pine cone.  If I had to do it over again, I might just have just passed and got out completely (since I made captain at my airline in two years).  Now, I have to drop an easy trip that pays $2000 to go drill and make $400.  First world problems I guess.    

PM me your email address and I'll send you the "trip report" I wrote up about my selection and IST.  

• Thanks 1

Buddy of mine did this.  Went AF AD to Navy reserve.  
 C130 guy.  

A word of caution - his Navy unit got tagged with a one year non flying gig to somewhere in the Middle East, Bahrain?, can’t remember. Any way the unit went down the list based on seniority.  He got out because he was at the top of the list and told he was going.  He told me a couple of other guys got out when they were told they had to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t do it.  You’re going the wrong way…. The Navy.. even the reserve component.. isn’t nearly as civil as the AD USAF, let alone the guard/reserves.  It’s a different culture.. at a minimum, make sure you fully grasp the expectations and “possibilities” you may face.

Reference: 11 years AD Navy, 8 years guard, 3 years AD (vlpad) USAF.

• Thanks 1

On Vandy's point:  If you can't get a flying job in the Navy Reserves (orange/white, or VR) ...then I agree...reserve component is just a meat grinder to get to 20+ years, avoid (I believe that is not your intent but more for SA). 

This is based off of AD Navy, B-1 ANG (brief T&G there before I bolted before JSTARS), P-3 Reserve, and U-28 plank-owner flying (luckily D’Arg and Jay shielded us Navy peeps from the AFSOC suck...and we just did our job).

Most fun I had flying was Draco followed by flying in the Reserves.

ATIS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1