Do ANG units hire from within?

I'm looking to join the ANG in college and fly (hopefully) after I get my degree. I'm still in high school and working on my PPL and plan on majoring in Professional Aviation in college. I'm going to do everything in my power to make myself as competitive as I can be (high GPA/PCSM, leadership roles etc.) but I was wondering just how much joining early would benefit me later down the road? I plan on enlisting as a crew chief to work as close as I can to pilots. 

Thanks for the help. 

• Upvote 1

Hey dude, 

Non-prior here who got picked up for a fighter slot - two comments:

1) enlisting will absolutely give you a leg up, all else being equal (and all else not being equal too), but...

2) there is no requirement that you enlist to get picked up for a slot. You need to have a college degree, though. One pitfall I've seen is people who let enlisting get in the way of them finishing college in a timely manner, then before they know it they're pushing the age limit and are no longer competitive. 

So, enlist if you want to be a crew chief and you want to serve, but don't enlist solely to try to get a pilot slot. And, make sure you prioritize finishing your degree. 

• Upvote 2

To the OP, I was a prior-e that was hired from within.  Even if you don't get hired at your squadron or in the military at all, it's 100% worth enlisting in the ANG.  I'd recommending enlisting as early in your senior year as the unit allows...we have people who enlist in the first month of their senior year.  It starts the 6 year commitment, which you'll appreciate later.  As I get ready to retire I'm so thankful for my enlisted time because I can retire about 5ish years before my peers.  Anyway, get 100% of your tuition paid (most states), plus a lot of other benefits that will help pay for any flying you do while in college.  You'll get a leg up on hiring within your squadron, as long as you do a good job, and you'll graduate with little to no debt.  Hands down, the best thing I've ever done.

Here is some unsolicited advice that I'll offer as airline/mil guy who go an aviation degree.  I'd seriously consider getting an STEM degree if you can swing it.  If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten a mechanical engineering degree and possible done some business classes.  If I were to lose my medical, that would open up a lot more doors than my aviation degree.  A few buddies are in various side gigs/post mil careers that love to hire mil pilots, but the price of admission is an engineering degree.  Just a thought.

13 hours ago, TheNewGazmo said:

ANG units are notorious for hiring from within, but to be honest, I am always the one on the board who is biased toward hiring strong candidates from off the street.

I want the strongest candidate period, whether they're in the unit or not.  This last year we hired an enlisted guy from a unit a few states away and a civilian.  The year before that, it was a unit member and a civilian.   

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SocialD said:

You'll get a leg up on hiring within your squadron, as long as you do a good job, and you'll graduate with little to no debt.  Hands down, the best thing I've ever done.

I cannot stress this enough, especially the last part.  I've seen a fair amount of individuals enlist and after a few years believe that they're a shoe-in for a slot even with lackluster performance and attitude.  Work hard, have fun, but always remember you are being continuously evaluated.  And remember Guard/Reserve units talk, so your history/performance will transfer down the line.  

That being said, most individuals enlist, interview, and obtain a slot seamlessly with minimal issues.  Good luck!