Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

Well I never heard of any B-29 crews executing a mutiny or trying to kill Lemay when we fire bombed Tokyo. If your counter is to say, well they started the war.. I’d day, who, the thousands of ppl that we burned alive? I’m not saying anyone needs to feel guilty about killing an enemy soldier, but I have no problem with someone feeling bad that some poor Russian kid is getting killed for a war he has no viable way of getting out of short of committing suicide or relegating his family to the gulag.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

Well I never heard of any B-29 crews executing a mutiny or trying to kill Lemay when we fire bombed Tokyo. If your counter is to say, well they started the war.. I’d day, who, the thousands of ppl that we burned alive? I’m not saying anyone needs to feel guilty about killing an enemy soldier, but I have no problem with someone feeling bad that some poor Russian kid is getting killed for a war he has no viable way of getting out of short of committing suicide or relegating his family to the gulag.

I maybe can understand that sentiment for some Russian 19 year old that was forcibly conscripted.

The scumbags in the video I posted were part of Wagner, a private military company (mercenaries) that are all volunteers.  No one forced them to join shit.  Even the mass of convicted criminals recruited out of prison had a choice to stay in prison or volunteer to fight in Ukraine.

Wagner employees routinely commit atrocities across the countries they conduct missions in.

How anyone would feel sorry for any of them is beyond me.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

War is horrific...simply horrific.  I remember my first few missions and the metric of success was always the number.  We count everything, crap many of us growing up who dreamed of flying wanted to be an Ace because we thought that was the top of the glorified pyramid.  In time and as I flew more missions and my "number" became stupidly high...(on one misisons I killed 32 men in 8 minutes)...I had to stop counting.  Yes they were evil people who deserved to die but it was still someone's brother, father, son, cousin...and I didn't want to surrender my humanity in the process.  I PRAY my son never has to see the horror of war.

As someone taken lives, I agree with you. Respect the dead. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

How anyone would feel sorry for any of them is beyond me.

When you're in the game, they are filthy, piece of shit targets.  I agree.  I dont feel sorry for them when they are shooting at us, when they're dead there is no need to keep throwing shit on them.  

For context, I retired in 2018.  Up until that point, I hated them all.  All of those little fuckers that wore turbans (even Americans). I hated hearing the call to prayer (I didn't realize I'd ever hear that song in America). And seeing them walking out on "my" streets. Well, I even get weird seeing them in public, at home in the U.S.  There’s a fuck ton of Muslims (and everything else) southern ca. To this day It's hard to look at them.  I like to call them goat fuckers in my mind. Up until this very moment, It takes a lot of effort for me to treat fellow Muslim people in the US like humans. I know Its wrong to feel this way, but I can't control my mind anymore.  

To all the dudes still in the fight, don't feel sorry for the guys trying to kill you or the dudes on the ground.  Do your job fangs out.  Kill those dirty bastards.  

Oneday you're going to take the uniform off and you'll have plenty of time to reflect on life.  I didn't start feeling bad for them (our enemy's dead and our own brothers/sisters that didn’t come home, regardless if they hit an IED in Iraq or some birds in England on a training sortie) until I had no skin in game anymore.  I.E. after the military.  Also, when I quit drinking in 2018, bad thoughts  started to occupy my mind. 

For the record, I love being a free American.  I thank God (or whatever my conscious talks to) everyday for being born here and not in the middle east. I also thank God that people are willing to don the uniform by choice, to do the hard stuff to keep us free.  The Karen at my local Home Depot here in Cypress, CA wouldn't understand what I'm talking about.  A dude who fought against us, and knows what the ultimate sacrifce means, would. Meanwhile, at the Home Depot cash register, Karen or LaKweeta (black Karen,  yellow Karen, it can be whatever version your heart desires) will just smile and say "Thank you for your service....and those platic bags will cost 10 cents a peice".  

Edit: they wore turbans not turbines lol

Edited by Biff_T
Spelling bee failure

Gents, no need to argue over my view on Karens and bad guys.  I should have clarified my opinion in the original post.  You guys are on the same team.  

Edit: At this point in time, Fuck Russia!!!

Edited by Biff_T

Good read (yes it’s NYT…Still, very well written and reasoned). Would encourage those here who are concerned about escalation of the war to read with an open mind. There are myriad reasons that appeasing Putin’s nuclear threats are a bad idea, not the least of which is that the threat itself becomes a weapon Putin can use at will to get what he wants. This essay expounds on that idea & makes a good case for holding the line against Russian threats. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/09/opinion/russia-war-ukraine-nuclear.html

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

https://apple.news/AvoooKiRxTlekGJ2POVtcjw

Good day in Ukraine, four more Russian aircraft shot down or crashed.

Awesome!!! 

That's what they get for intentionally trageting civilians.  A nice long SAM or AAA right up the pooper. 

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

Shot down their own aircraft. 

And to think people still claim they're going to win in Ukraine. 

It happens.  

3 hours ago, uhhello said:

It happens.  

Not saying it never happens... but 4 in one day? Over your own country? 

Have we ever lost a US aircraft to a US SAM system over the US?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Have we ever been in sustained 24 hour combat operations with a very credible air threat?  Obviously something was going on that caused a giant increase in "shoot at anything flying".  

Honestly given Patriot’s track record, I’d say that has more to do with the lack of active ground based air defense in the US.

You guys realize you are relying on an Army element of the TAGS/AAGS architecture to not only have the right mode 4/5 comsec, but also to have the smartest people you’d expect over there. There is a good reason we are planing our routes to avoid friendly concentrations of forces.

Hint: Air Defense doesn’t require near the asvab score you would expect it does. And one of the dumbest warrants I’ve ever worked with was an AD branch guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, pawnman said:

It's significant. Thankfully we never have, but that's 100% because we opt to do our fighting on the other sides of the ponds.

7 hours ago, Lawman said:

Air Defense doesn’t require near the asvab score you would expect it does. And one of the dumbest warrants I’ve ever worked with was an AD branch guy.

As a graduate of the Army's airspace control course...this is entirely accurate.  They understand joint airspace so well that they assume they'll get a coord altitude up the flight levels during a near peer conflict so they won't have to decon counterbattery fire with the USAF.  It's so far beyond laughable as to make one cry tears of grief for both the blue air they're going to shoot down, and the ground troops who won't get the air support they'll need.

Edited by FourFans

12 hours ago, uhhello said:

Have we ever been in sustained 24 hour combat operations with a very credible air threat?  Obviously something was going on that caused a giant increase in "shoot at anything flying".  

It warms my heart to think Russia has so much fear of Ukrainian air assets that they're shooting anything they see.

• Upvote 1

As a graduate of the Army's airspace control course...this is entirely accurate.  They understand joint airspace so well that they assume they'll get a coord altitude up the flight levels during a near peer conflict so they won't have to decon counterbattery fire with the USAF.  It's so far beyond laughable as to make one cry tears of grief for both the blue air they're going to shoot down, and the ground troops who won't get the air support they'll need.

It’s only getting worse…

LSCO has fundamentally shifted the application but the mindset or “oh everything below X altitude is just mine,” has been hard solidified in two decades of COIN “Doctrine.”

And in the next couple years we’re looking to greatly increase our SHORAD and protection at the Division level. So having just done the Suwalki gap warfighter I’d say you’re best bet to fit through that 80 mile corridor of airspace nightmare…. Is to not and just come down from Norway or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, uhhello said:

It happens.  

I flew that Patriot battalion home from Kuwait City Itnl on a CRAF flight and Battalion Exec was on the Jumpseat explaining what happened. I’m not sure what was/wasn’t classified but it involved a lot more than IFF and both were avoidable.

• Upvote 1

It shocks me the amount of things the Army has been given. I’ve worked with some phenomenal, intelligent Army bros who are empowered to lead and get shit done, the only problem is they’re in a category that makes up 0.0069% of the Army. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1