Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

1 hour ago, filthy_liar said:

That doesn't pass the common sense test to me.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but millions of transactions per hour are taking place in the crypto exchanges.  I find it very hard to believe that volume is being generated peer to peer absent an exchange.  What would that even look like?

It's not. The exchanges absolutely increase the volume of trades, that's their primary function. But they are not an inherent part of any cryptocurrency or blockchain. They are an external layer.

Think of it like craigslist. Selling your old bike to another person doesn't require an exchange, however. Craigslist is somewhere that buyers and sellers can find each other. Without craiglist there wouldn't be nearly as many transactions, but ultimately Craigslist isn't a part of the transaction. 

Those were the earliest "exchanges." Then they transformed into something closer to Fidelity. Instead of having your own crypto wallet (which is just an address on the Blockchain, nothing more), the exchange opens a wallet for you, and does the transaction. And just like with Fidelity, you can transfer your crypto out to a wallet you control and go back to using it like cash, but of course with fewer people to transact with.

The entire point of Bitcoin was to decentralize the digital exchange of currency. Digital cash. The exchanges directly contradict the whole concept, but it became a speculative asset instead of a currency, and here we are. They are the predominate means of exchange, but they are not inherent to the system.

4 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

That doesn't pass the common sense test to me.  I'm not saying you are wrong, but millions of transactions per hour are taking place in the crypto exchanges.  I find it very hard to believe that volume is being generated peer to peer absent an exchange.  What would that even look like?

Tell me you don't know the first thing about crypto without telling me you don't know the first thing about crypto...

Bruh, the entire basis for the blockchain is to be a distributed, peer-to-peer, value-exchange system. It may be that more "action" is taking place in the exchanges, but that's like the fact that there is more action in the futures markets for soybeans. None of the soybeans traded in Chicago ever make it there, but I assure you there are soybeans that would still exist if the CME was shutdown. Think of it like that. The CME plays the role of the exchanges in the cyrpto market, but the actual blockchain (the bottom line behind crypto) are the soybeans growing in everyone's own backyard.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2023 at 11:52 PM, ViperMan said:

Tell me you don't know the first thing about crypto without telling me you don't know the first thing about crypto...

Bruh, the entire basis for the blockchain is to be a distributed, peer-to-peer, value-exchange system. It may be that more "action" is taking place in the exchanges, but that's like the fact that there is more action in the futures markets for soybeans. None of the soybeans traded in Chicago ever make it there, but I assure you there are soybeans that would still exist if the CME was shutdown. Think of it like that. The CME plays the role of the exchanges in the cyrpto market, but the actual blockchain (the bottom line behind crypto) are the soybeans growing in everyone's own backyard.

What type of form do I use at my credit union to make a bitcoin withdrawal?

30 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

Congressman Dan Crenshaw just did an interview on his podcast with a SEAL who has been fighting in Ukraine. Interesting stuff.  Title of the podcast is "The Truth about Dan Swift, the Navy SEAL Killed in Ukraine."

Some really interesting stuff coming out of this community (war tourism) and some of the ups and downs of it. Was reading an article a few days ago about conflict in the Ukrainian armed forces/other volunteers--that some of these war tourist are woefully "underqualified" for the roles they are self assigning themselves. Not necessarily Navy SEALs, but the story was specifically about a firearms instructor who decided to self appoint himself as a combat medic for a QRF, ended up getting a dude killed after performing chest compressions at an inappropriate time. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-us-volunteers-ukraine-accuse-another-being-a-war-tourist-2023-1?amp

41 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Some really interesting stuff coming out of this community (war tourism) and some of the ups and downs of it. Was reading an article a few days ago about conflict in the Ukrainian armed forces/other volunteers--that some of these war tourist are woefully "underqualified" for the roles they are self assigning themselves. Not necessarily Navy SEALs, but the story was specifically about a firearms instructor who decided to self appoint himself as a combat medic for a QRF, ended up getting a dude killed after performing chest compressions at an inappropriate time. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/some-us-volunteers-ukraine-accuse-another-being-a-war-tourist-2023-1?amp

Doesn't sound like he killed the guy.  Sounds like they were critiquing him for doing CPR in a tactical situation when he could have been helping others but sounds like they were off the line headed back somewhere in a vehicle.  Who knows.  General point stands though, I'm sure there are a lot of YouTube warriors over there.  

This article raises and interesting question. If anyone believes NATO is sincere about backing Ukraine, intending for them to win and drive Russians out, why would we send hundreds of billions of dollars in aid and ground equipment, but little for them to establish air dominance over their own territory?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/31/ukraines-tanks-will-achieve-little-without-modern-fighter-jets/

Another question, is this a legit military target while underway?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-m2-bradleys-have-begun-their-voyage-to-the-battlefield

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/russian-warship-armed-with-advanced-missiles-sails-into-western-atlantic-in-strategic-chess-game-1.6248491

US Treasury. LOL. https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/financial-report/unsustainable-fiscal-path.html

1064182357_ScreenShot2023-01-31at2_15_49PM.png.7640752f5fe0a4d366d7aa123a8b1272.png

Edited by torqued

For anyone who complains about the cost of the war effort to the US, and points to the US debt... you do realize that the money we're spending on Ukraine is a rounding error compared to Federal spending and liabilities, right? I realize this sounds absurd, but $14 billion just isn't a lot of money. We've basically spent the cost of one Ford-class aircraft carrier to cripple our second most powerful foe for at least a generation. That's a good deal, in my book.

This article raises and interesting question. If anyone believes NATO is sincere about backing Ukraine, intending for them to win and drive Russians out, why would we send hundreds of billions of dollars in aid and ground equipment, but little for them to establish air dominance over their own territory?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/31/ukraines-tanks-will-achieve-little-without-modern-fighter-jets/
Another question, is this a legit military target while underway?
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-situation-report-m2-bradleys-have-begun-their-voyage-to-the-battlefield
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/russian-warship-armed-with-advanced-missiles-sails-into-western-atlantic-in-strategic-chess-game-1.6248491
US Treasury. LOL. https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/reports-statements/financial-report/unsustainable-fiscal-path.html
1064182357_ScreenShot2023-01-31at2_15_49PM.png.7640752f5fe0a4d366d7aa123a8b1272.png

We’ve sent million of dollars worth of air defense systems ranging from PAC3 to Geperd to MANPADS like Stinger.

“Oh no we won’t give them Vipers” seems like a statement of ignorance considering their military model doesn’t attempt to achieve Air Superiority through air platforms.

Haven’t done anything to give them Air Dominance… tell that to Russian Fullback, Hokum, and Frogfoot drivers. I’m sure the reason we are seeing the Russians resort to massed drone and cruise missile bombardment or lobbing pods full of rockets at high angle Blind has nothing to do with the danger of exposing their manned platforms to the battlefield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stoker said:

For anyone who complains about the cost of the war effort to the US, and points to the US debt... you do realize that the money we're spending on Ukraine is a rounding error compared to Federal spending and liabilities, right? I realize this sounds absurd, but $14 billion just isn't a lot of money. We've basically spent the cost of one Ford-class aircraft carrier to cripple our second most powerful foe for at least a generation. That's a good deal, in my book.

Let's also be honest.  Not a single cent that has gone to Ukraine would have been used in any meaningful way to make the US better.  

Infrastructure desperately needs updating.

Our education sucks.

Health care?  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stoker said:

The part you leave out though is we are still going to buy that extra Ford class aircraft carrier. I think thats where the contention comes in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoker said:

That's a fair argument. I'll agree with you that $14 billion really isn't a lot of money. But if you know what isn't a lot of money, then you must also know what is. Would it be fair to say that ten times that is a lot of money? Where would you make the distinction?

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

We’ve sent million of dollars worth of air defense systems ranging from PAC3 to Geperd to MANPADS like Stinger.

“Oh no we won’t give them Vipers” seems like a statement of ignorance considering their military model doesn’t attempt to achieve Air Superiority through air platforms.

Haven’t done anything to give them Air Dominance… tell that to Russian Fullback, Hokum, and Frogfoot drivers. I’m sure the reason we are seeing the Russians resort to massed drone and cruise missile bombardment or lobbing pods full of rockets at high angle Blind has nothing to do with the danger of exposing their manned platforms to the battlefield.

Slow down. It seems like you think my position is to provide Ukraine with Vipers. That's not true. I'd argue Ukraine doesn't attempt Air Superiority not because they don't believe in air platforms as part of their "military model"... but perhaps because they dont fn have any. Ukraine is absolutely begging for both ground and air equipment, specifically F-16s. Are they not fighting this war? You should be explaining to them, not me, what they do and do not need.  Just tell them "Air Superiority is achievable through superior ground-based Air Defenses."

I'm just curious as to the logical gynmastics required by those who want to "help" Ukraine, but not that much.

https://theaviationist.com/2023/01/27/ukraine-requests-two-squadrons-of-f-16s-but-giving-vipers-to-kyiv-is-easier-said-than-done/

Edited by torqued

41 minutes ago, torqued said:

That's a fair argument. I'll agree with you that $14 billion really isn't a lot of money. But if you know what isn't a lot of money, then you must also know what is. Would it be fair to say that ten times that is a lot of money? Where would you make the distinction?

All spending has diminishing marginal utility. There's definitely a point where the "dead Soviets per dollar" ratio doesn't justify spending more. But we aren't close to it yet.

6 minutes ago, Stoker said:

All spending has diminishing marginal utility. There's definitely a point where the "dead Soviets per dollar" ratio doesn't justify spending more. But we aren't close to it yet.

What is that point? Just ballpark it.

EDIT: This headline dropped in the last 10 minutes.

Biden Admin. To Send Ukraine New $2.2B Aid Package That Includes Long-Range Missileshttps://breaking911.com/breaking-biden-admin-to-send-ukraine-new-2-2b-aid-package-that-includes-long-range-missiles/

Edited by torqued

3 minutes ago, torqued said:

The money and effort we spend supporting Ukraine will effectively terminate the ability of our second greatest foe to threaten European security at a less than nuclear scale for the next twenty years or so. I think we should spend commensurate with how much we value that goal. I don't know, man, I'm just a guy who flies planes, not a senior staffer on the Appropriations committee.

I guess my point is, the people who moan and complain about all the money we're spending on Ukraine are either willful or ignorant puppets of Russian information shaping efforts. If someone from your political party had a magic deal where, for 2% of Federal spending a year, they could reunite Europe behind a pro-US banner, crush one of our biggest enemies, generate new markets for US energy exports, and protect 45 million people from subjugation, oppression, and extermination, would you say that is a good deal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Slow down. It seems like you think my position is to provide Ukraine with Vipers. That's not true. I'd argue Ukraine doesn't attempt Air Superiority not because they don't believe in air platforms as part of their "military model"... but perhaps because they dont fn have any. Ukraine is absolutely begging for both ground and air equipment, specifically F-16s. Are they not fighting this war? You should be explaining to them, not me, what they do and do not need.  Just tell them "Air Superiority is achievable through superior ground-based Air Defenses."
I'm just curious as to the logical gynmastics required by those who want to "help" Ukraine, but not that much.
https://theaviationist.com/2023/01/27/ukraine-requests-two-squadrons-of-f-16s-but-giving-vipers-to-kyiv-is-easier-said-than-done/

What’s the lead time to establish a trained Viper pilot. What if I give you every 3rd guy is a former Mig29 or other high performance aircraft pilot. Ok now let’s compare that with the time to train a system operator in any air defense system… They are taking rounds against their infrastructure now.

Yes we can give these guys access to the NATO stock of 4th Gen aircraft but acting like just having high performance aircraft is “how we achieve air dominance” is ignorant whether you are reading about it in a rag like Telegraph or saying it as anyone that has been to the Party wearing a US uniform. If the argument was they need X because they’ve expended their hole stocks of Y that would be a different argument. They aren’t making that argument. They are trying to pretend we haven’t given anything that solves the problem and the tanks will somehow be exposed to some massive losses from air power the Russians have yet to demonstrate any capability at doing.

Viper or something similar is a very small part in that massive mechanism we wield to achieve Air Superiority and dominance our way (from the Air primarily). Pretending they have all or some of the other facets of what makes that achievable and the missing link here is us giving them Vipers/Mirages/Tornados/god damned spitfires is ignorant at best. And the other issue with that article is it alluding to the idea that the Uke’s haven’t created a storm of problems for the current Russian air threat both with the systems they had on hand and the ones we are giving them. Acting like the thing that Russian air has been waiting on is the presence of modern NATO armor to get off its ass and be part of this fight is ignorant of all the burning bent hulks of what used to be a Fullback/Frogfoot/etc littering Ukraine over the last few months.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, torqued said:

EDIT: This headline dropped in the last 10 minutes.

Biden Admin. To Send Ukraine New $2.2B Aid Package That Includes Long-Range Missileshttps://breaking911.com/breaking-biden-admin-to-send-ukraine-new-2-2b-aid-package-that-includes-long-range-missiles/

The new ordnance item contained in this latest Aid Package = The 'Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB)/long-range, all-aspect, precision-attack, ground-launched weapon developed by Saab in partnership with Boeing to address the emerging needs of armed forces.'

U.S. readies $2 bln-plus Ukraine aid package with longer-range weapons -sources | Reuters

1l-image-119.jpg

• Like 2

The new ordnance item contained in this latest Aid Package = The 'Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB)/long-range, all-aspect, precision-attack, ground-launched weapon developed by Saab in partnership with Boeing to address the emerging needs of armed forces.'
U.S. readies $2 bln-plus Ukraine aid package with longer-range weapons -sources | Reuters
1l-image-119.jpg

I can’t wait for them to validate that thing because it’s one of the potential game changer toys we keep playing with in Warfighters.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Stoker said:

The money and effort we spend supporting Ukraine will effectively terminate the ability of our second greatest foe to threaten European security at a less than nuclear scale for the next twenty years or so. I think we should spend commensurate with how much we value that goal. I don't know, man, I'm just a guy who flies planes, not a senior staffer on the Appropriations committee.

I guess my point is, the people who moan and complain about all the money we're spending on Ukraine are either willful or ignorant puppets of Russian information shaping efforts. If someone from your political party had a magic deal where, for 2% of Federal spending a year, they could reunite Europe behind a pro-US banner, crush one of our biggest enemies, generate new markets for US energy exports, and protect 45 million people from subjugation, oppression, and extermination, would you say that is a good deal?

You can't put a price on happiness, right?

33 minutes ago, Lawman said:

What’s the lead time to establish a trained Viper pilot. What if I give you every 3rd guy is a former Mig29 or other high performance aircraft pilot. Ok now let’s compare that with the time to train a system operator in any air defense system… They are taking rounds against their infrastructure now.

Yes we can give these guys access to the NATO stock of 4th Gen aircraft but acting like just having high performance aircraft is “how we achieve air dominance” is ignorant whether you are reading about it in a rag like Telegraph or saying it as anyone that has been to the Party wearing a US uniform.

Viper or something similar is a very small part in that massive mechanism we wield to achieve Air Superiority and dominance our way (from the Air primarily). Pretending they have all or some of the other facets of what makes that achievable and the missing link here is us giving them Vipers/Mirages/Tornados/god damned spitfires is ignorant at best. And the other issue with that article is it alluding to the idea that the Uke’s haven’t created a storm of problems for the current Russian air threat both with the systems they had on hand and the ones we are giving them. Acting like the thing that Russian air has been waiting on is the presence of modern NATO armor to get off its ass and be part of this fight is ignorant of all the burning bent hulks of what used to be a Fullback/Frogfoot/etc littering Ukraine over the last few months.

I don't want to mischaracterize your position, but I think what you're saying to Zelensky's repeated requests is:

1. It takes too long to train good pilots and we choose not to spend that time and money. Shooting a missile is easier.

2. Even if we gave you aircraft, you don't have the support and you would probably fuck it up.

3. We could give you that support, but it costs too much.

4. You're doing fine. (Recent Russian advances notwithstanding)

I hope you don't think I disagree with you.

I don't want to mischaracterize your position, but I think what you're saying to Zelensky's repeated requests is:
1. It takes too long to train good pilots and we choose not to spend that time and money. Shooting a missile is easier.
2. Even if we gave you aircraft, you don't have the support and you would probably it up.
3. We could give you that support, but it costs too much.
4. You're doing fine. (Recent Russian advances notwithstanding)
I hope you don't think I disagree with you.

No I’m saying you inserted an article which builds on a Bullshit premise as to why it’s necessary to “prove our support” with a modern fighter so that the Ukrainians can support their armor in the field.

Now why you did that is your own reasons, but it’s absolutely BS to say we are somehow halfhearted in our support for Ukraine this many billions of dollars and months into the fight.

Given that we are now facing calls to limit the amount of dollars we can give from within our own countries it’s more important than ever to achieve the maximum dollar value for the assistance we are given and dismiss bullshit like that article for what it is. If somebody is trying imply the Uke’s haven’t received aid in achieving or even achieved some form of air superiority with the equipment on hand (to include the very best ground based systems we own) than please explain why the Russian Air isn’t running around their country wholesale the way we would be in the same place. Why are we see them deliberately choosing to adopt toss bombing in salvos to achieve little in actual accurate effects and expend all the effort and ordnance for a sortie that does little to effect the ground. Surely if air superiority didn’t favor the ground and survivability isn’t in question they wouldn’t adopt such tactics right?

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

Some of us don't value that very high. And thinking Europe will ever get behind a US banner is laughable. They generally do not have high opinions of Americans or American culture.