Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

Recent chat about the Russians being reluctant to employ the SU-57 in Ukraine.  It is reported that they just took delivery a few more bringing their total to 12.
Interesting photos reportedly first person from an SU-57.  If these images are real then it is obvious there airplane are far more rudimentary and FAR less stealthy than the F-22 and F-35.  Uneven seams and what appears to be standard metal screws.

IMG_1937.thumb.jpg.348734ca82a62576730c9aa77c8ae477.jpg
IMG_1938.thumb.jpg.f08a8e6f868dce0191447cb93b326e9f.jpg

Little known fact… the same was true of Comanche.

Thing has exposed bolt heads all over it. But it’s black = stealth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Recent chat about the Russians being reluctant to employ the SU-57 in Ukraine.  It is reported that they just took delivery a few more bringing their total to 12.

Interesting photos reportedly first person from an SU-57.  If these images are real then it is obvious there airplane are far more rudimentary and FAR less stealthy than the F-22 and F-35.  Uneven seams and what appears to be standard metal screws.

IMG_1937.thumb.jpg.348734ca82a62576730c9aa77c8ae477.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

putting my coveralls back on for a second and observing those screws look kinda fried and that leading edge looks beat to shit, i wonder if it's just cause they have so few and are flying them a lot or if maybe they're broke all the time

Reuters: Russia is performing so poorly in the war that we are graciously giving them an opportunity to save face and negotiate their retreat from occupied territories. Right?

At least that’s the way I interpret it.

We’re winning!!

3 minute readNovember 5, 202210:14 PM EDTLast Updated 7 hours ago

U.S. privately asks Ukraine to show Russia it's open to talks -Washington Post

WASHINGTON, Nov 5 (Reuters) - The Biden administration is privately encouraging Ukraine’s leaders to signal an openness to negotiate with Russia and drop their public refusal to engage in peace talks unless President Vladimir Putin is removed from power, the Washington Post reported on Saturday.

Edited by torqued
  • Downvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, 12xu2a3x3 said:

putting my coveralls back on for a second and observing those screws look kinda fried and that leading edge looks beat to shit, i wonder if it's just cause they have so few and are flying them a lot or if maybe they're broke all the time

They probably fly the jet without the low observable paint to save money, when they do it most likely goes into the paint hanger for a week to correct that. We do the same with ours. Come out of major inspections then fly it to get the cobwebs out of it, then to paint hangar for the special coatings then green it up for real world taskings.

5 hours ago, Prosuper said:

They probably fly the jet without the low observable paint to save money, when they do it most likely goes into the paint hanger for a week to correct that. We do the same with ours. Come out of major inspections then fly it to get the cobwebs out of it, then to paint hangar for the special coatings then green it up for real world taskings.

...seems like now might be when they would want to do that. i have never worked fifth gen, i will take your word for it. you think this jet is just like coming out of cat status or something?

6 hours ago, Prosuper said:

The same military that can't properly maintain tires on vehicles isn't going to be cutting edge with aircraft coatings and paint applications me thinks.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/6/2022 at 1:20 PM, uhhello said:

The same military that can't properly maintain tires on vehicles isn't going to be cutting edge with aircraft coatings and paint applications me thinks.  

Having a buddy who was a B-2 Pro Super and having him explain their processes , since the coatings were a gillion dollars a gallon which they have to scrape off to get access to components which required hazmat protocols. They did not paint until they knew they it was a good jet. Plus boomers better have their A game for AR's, scratching the paint could cause a mission canx.

26 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

Having a buddy who was a B-2 Pro Super and having him explain their processes , since the coatings were a gillion dollars a gallon which they have to scrape off to get access to components which required hazmat protocols. They did not paint until they knew they it was a good jet. Plus boomers better have their A game for AR's, scratching the paint could cause a mission canx.

The receptacle on the B-2 was a good size (sts).  The 117 was a smaller target, especially at night and EMCON 4. 

2 hours ago, Prosuper said:

Got lots of crew chief friends still on 22's and 35s.  It's just part of the process now.  Every generation of 5th gen has gotten better at making it easier/more efficient but its still part of the process that needs to be done to get a green jet.  

On 11/8/2022 at 7:07 AM, torqued said:

Is Russia losing the war, or isn’t it? What are we paying for?

1 month ago:

Just now: 0B84F5DB-E76E-4B2C-A67A-C00AC095444D.thumb.jpeg.2d62ac7b6f8bd38a31cd548b30da7c98.jpeg

Did you miss the reporting where the White House has been pressuring Ukraine to open the possibility of negotiations?

When your patron tells you to do something, you do it. And you do it with a smile.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Did you miss the reporting where the White House has been pressuring Ukraine to open the possibility of negotiations?

When your patron tells you to do something, you do it. And you do it with a smile.

Even when your patron is an 80 year old bumbling shell of a human?

10 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

While the US has been the largest patron, they aren't the only one...and Ukraine isn't our whore.

It's their country - we can carrot & stick all day to compel, but it's still their decision. Those measures are working, as Zelenskyy already (somewhat) walked it back - various reports of some willingness to enter talks with Russia - on Ukraine terms (possibly a post-Putin Russia).

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/08/zelenskyy-talks-with-russia-possible-on-ukraines-terms-00065624

At this point, if Russia stops fighting, the war is over. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine is over (now or later). Aside from trying to provide off-ramps to Putin in an attempt to let him save face (won't work/matter), Ukraine going to negotiating table now is only beneficial to Russia.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, brwwg&b said:

While the US has been the largest patron, they aren't the only one...and Ukraine isn't our whore.

It's their country - we can carrot & stick all day to compel, but it's still their decision. Those measures are working, as Zelenskyy already (somewhat) walked it back - various reports of some willingness to enter talks with Russia - on Ukraine terms (possibly a post-Putin Russia).

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/08/zelenskyy-talks-with-russia-possible-on-ukraines-terms-00065624

At this point, if Russia stops fighting, the war is over. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine is over (now or later). Aside from trying to provide off-ramps to Putin in an attempt to let him save face (won't work/matter), Ukraine going to negotiating table now is only beneficial to Russia.

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Ukraine, despite whatever their desires may be, is subordinate to us in this war. There is no Ukraine victory without our weapons. I don't have to like it, but that's politics.

Saying "it's their decision" implies they can do whatever they want. False. If their choice is to lose, then yeah I guess they can do whatever. But they can't win without us, which means their choices are limited to those they can get the US to agree to. Politics and power.

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

I agree. Doesn't change the fact that Ukraine, despite whatever their desires may be, is subordinate to us in this war. There is no Ukraine victory without our weapons. I don't have to like it, but that's politics.

Saying "it's their decision" implies they can do whatever they want. False. If their choice is to lose, then yeah I guess they can do whatever. But they can't win without us, which means their choices are limited to those they can get the US to agree to. Politics and power.

Subordinate isn't the right wording. They were reliant on western supplied equipment and munitions. They've got lots of equipment now...munitions will continue to be a challenge. It doesn't make them a puppet for us, and doesn't mean we can tell them "go do this" and expect them to salute smartly and follow marching orders. They are compelled to consider (arguably, strongly consider) our recommendations....and then, it still is their decision.

The situation has changed enough that the Ukrainians may be inspired enough by battlefield victories to think they have more rope to play with - they can do whatever they want with that rope. It's for us to try to advise, so they don't end up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We are certainly leveraging political tools to do so.

If we stopped handing over equipment and munitions today - it isn't a guarantee that the Ukrainians would lose (in the near term). However, they (and we) understand the importance of both building & rebuilding a western supplied military for them. They're playing the politics side of it pretty smartly as well...they aren't subservient, realize that US would suffer political blowback if we just walked away right now, and know that we can help them behind the scenes as well. This doesn't just easily simplify to "we are a big country and you are a little one" power plays (nor should it).

• Thanks 1

National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan highlights four "core elements of consensus" in the U.S. gov about Ukraine. (about halfway through, CTRL+F Ukraine)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/press-briefings/2022/11/11/press-gaggle-by-press-secretary-karine-jean-pierre-and-national-security-advisor-jake-sullivan-en-route-phnom-penh-cambodia/

TL;DR version:

1. It's Ukraine's decision when to go to the negotiating table.

2. Principles of a just peace are based on territorial and sovereign integrity (U.N. Charter).

3. Russia doubling down on annexation claims means they can't be a good faith negotiator.

4. U.S. approach remains the same - enable Ukraine to be in the best possible position on the battlefield.

"And one more big-ticket item.  So there’s kind of this sense of when is Ukraine going to negotiate.  Okay, ultimately, at a 30,000-foot level, Ukraine is the party of peace in this conflict, and Russia is the party of war.  Russia invaded Ukraine.  If Russia chose to stop fighting in Ukraine and left, it would be the end of the war.  If Ukraine chose to stop fighting and give up, it would be the end of Ukraine."

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, brwwg&b said:

It doesn't make them a puppet for us, and doesn't mean we can tell them "go do this" and expect them to salute smartly and follow marching orders. They are compelled to consider (arguably, strongly consider) our recommendations....and then, it still is their decision.

They decided to fight Russia instead of cave. There were only two branches from that point: lose, or get help from us. Now that they are on that path, until they decide to return to "lose," they are stuck doing what we say. They can find another source of support, but there aren't many options.  It's not fair, but it's reality. I hope we continue to support them, but that support comes with an "*"

On 11/12/2022 at 9:05 PM, brwwg&b said:

If we stopped handing over equipment and munitions today - it isn't a guarantee that the Ukrainians would lose (in the near term).

I don't think you realize how much more we are doing than just sending pallets of weapons. It is not through Ukrainian cleverness that so many high ranking Russians keep getting blown up.

When we sent them HIMARS, it came with the six month subscription to SiruisXM targeting. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

Now that they are on that path, until they decide to return to "lose," they are stuck doing what we say. They can find another source of support, but there aren't many options.

It isn't as black and white as you make it out. Like a teenager learning to drive under supervision, there comes a moment where you let them go drive on their own. Before you do, they might sneak out and take the car out on their own. The difference here being that we aren't going to go take back equipment or munitions which was gifted, if they decide they no longer need supervision

Realize that they have support (limited, sure) from many other nations from the US who have much more skin in the game when it comes to how this war settles.

43 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

I don't think you realize how much more we are doing than just sending pallets of weapons.

I know that you don't know who you are talking to. I also know that intelligence support isn't a discussion fit for this forum.

edit: grammar

Edited by brwwg&b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1