Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

5 hours ago, Random Guy said:

Video arguing the US provocated the conflict in Ukraine by pushing NATO membership. Not familiar with the author. 

He teaches at Harris, which is a pretty lofty credential considering something like half the faculty there are Nobel laureates in either peace, security or economics. He's also founded and written on some theories guiding great power conflict. On his wiki bio he was also a Westpoint graduate and Army officer. 

Honestly, I'm reading his wiki bio now and this dude has been in the international security circles quite deep. 

Edit: the real hero here though is the European dude at 2:03:00 who just shit talks the EU and NATO for like 5 minutes (and he's an EU employee lol). 

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

He teaches at Harris, which is a pretty lofty credential considering something like half the faculty there are Nobel laureates in either peace, security or economics. He's also founded and written on some theories guiding great power conflict. On his wiki bio he was also a Westpoint graduate and Army officer. 

Honestly, I'm reading his wiki bio now and this dude has been in the international security circles quite deep. 

Edit: the real hero here though is the European dude at 2:03:00 who just shit talks the EU and NATO for like 5 minutes (and he's an EU employee lol). 

Then why didn't Russia attack Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia since they share a border with Russia, and all rushed to join NATO, now soon Finland and Sweden? Is Belarus up for this fight?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Prosuper said:

Then why didn't Russia attack Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia since they share a border with Russia, and all rushed to join NATO, now soon Finland and Sweden? Is Belarus up for this fight?

What does this have anything to do with the speakers background? If you disagree with him go get your PhD and write a dissertation on it. I look forward to reading it. 

• Downvote 2

What does this have anything to do with the speakers background? If you disagree with him go get your PhD and write a dissertation on it. I look forward to reading it. 

Ah yes, a PhD is the prerequisite to discussing a topic. Totally valid critique of this dude’s theory from Prosuper since Putin’s justification is pure BS and he’s just doing genocide through imperialism. But keep simping for Putin.
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Prosuper said:

According to Peter Zeihan they are all next.

Side note: read an article last night can't find the link now but it discussed how the Intel Agencies missed on Russian Military capabilities.  Thinking about it and going back to Al Queda, WMD's in Iraq, Taliban/Afgan pull out and now Russia.....Is there anything else they can miss so big on?

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

Ah yes, a PhD is the prerequisite to discussing a topic. Totally valid critique of this dude’s theory from Prosuper since Putin’s justification is pure BS and he’s just doing genocide through imperialism. But keep simping for Putin.

You're welcome to express opinions but when you can't comprehend the nuance and complexity of geopolitical matters expect people who do to call you out. If you don't comprehend the chain of events from the ascension of the Balkins to the current situation in Ukraine, then yes, I'm going to trust the PhD's opinion over yours, while you go back and do some more reading on an area and geopolitical theater you clearly know little about. 

I saw this "keep simping for Russia" bullshit before. Except it was 2003, Freedom Fries were on the House dining menu, and the academically illiterate like yourself were accusing a huge proportion of the country that was critical of the assertion there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq of being simps for Saddam Hussein. Today those people all look like assholes. Consider that for a moment in context of your biased Russophobia. 

If your heart bleeds for Ukraine, fine. Absolutely noone stopping you from volunteering for their foreign legion. By all means go. I'm not stopping you and really don't care. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You're welcome to express opinions but when you can't comprehend the nuance and complexity of geopolitical matters expect people who do to call you out. If you don't comprehend the chain of events from the ascension of the Balkins to the current situation in Ukraine, then yes, I'm going to trust the PhD's opinion over yours, while you go back and do some more reading on an area and geopolitical theater you clearly know little about. 
I saw this "keep simping for Russia" bullshit before. Except it was 2003, Freedom Fries were on the House dining menu, and the academically illiterate like yourself were accusing a huge proportion of the country that was critical of the assertion there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq of being simps for Saddam Hussein. Today those people all look like assholes. Consider that for a moment in context of your biased Russophobia. 
If your heart bleeds for Ukraine, fine. Absolutely noone stopping you from volunteering for their foreign legion. By all means go. I'm not stopping you and really don't care. 

Keep thinking you’re the only one that can understand geopolitics here, it’s really making you seem open minded.
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Keep thinking you’re the only one that can understand geopolitics here, it’s really making you seem open minded.

I don't think I'm the only one. But when you ask "why didn't Russia do this with the Baltic states" that's a pretty clear knowledge gap. What's your answer to that question based off your literature review. If you cant answer it, then stfu. Because there are plenty of people that can. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Downvote 1

I don't think I'm the only one. But when you ask "why didn't Russia do this with the Baltic states" that's a pretty clear knowledge gap. What's your answer to that question based off your literature review. If you can answer it, then stfu. Because there are plenty of people that can. 

Your reading comprehension is lacking oh academic overlord. I didn’t ask why he hasn’t invaded the Baltics yet, just calling out your PhD crush for being wrong.

Also, yes you talk down to everyone who doesn’t agree with you that Putin’s invasion of Ukraine is justified by calling them academically illiterate, a sure sign of your geopolitical adeptness and superiority. You can’t answer with reality, just your “academic” fantasy.

Just now, SurelySerious said:

Your reading comprehension is lacking oh academic overlord. I didn’t ask why he hasn’t invaded the Baltics yet, just calling out your PhD crush for being wrong.

Also, yes you talk down to everyone who doesn’t agree with you that Putin’s invasion of Ukraine is justified by calling them academically illiterate, a sure sign of your geopolitical adeptness and superiority. You can’t answer with reality, just your “academic” fantasy.

No my friend. Your reading comprehension is poor. You butted on a conversation between two other people, myself and Prosuper, in which Prosuper asked about the Baltic states. You jumped into a fight without your prebrief and now you are frustrated you don't understand what's going on. Get lost. 

• Downvote 1

No my friend. Your reading comprehension is poor. You butted on a conversation between two other people, myself and Prosuper, in which Prosuper asked about the Baltic states. You jumped into a fight without your prebrief and now you are frustrated you don't understand what's going on. Get lost. 

I have SA, you’re the tumbleweed one who can’t see past your infatuation with Putin. Keep thinking you’re an expert and talking down, sure sign of someone who knows what he’s talking about.
  • Upvote 1

Reference your PhD man crush here. Maybe you guys can get together and talk about how justified this invasion was and trash anyone who disagrees.

Just now, SurelySerious said:

Reference your PhD man crush here. Maybe you guys can get together and talk about how justified this invasion was and trash anyone who disagrees.

Bro I'm willing to listen to any coherent argument you make but so far all you've done is call me a Putin simp. You're just acting like an asshole. 

Bro I'm willing to listen to any coherent argument you make but so far all you've done is call me a Putin simp. You're just acting like an asshole. 

Just labeling your demonstrated behavior because any time anyone does make the argument that Putin’s being an imperialist asshole trying to erase Ukraine and re-start the Soviet Union, you just whitewash it with “NATO provoked this yada yada yada Putin was justified, trust me I’m an expert.” There’s no genuine room for discussion there, but nice try.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Just labeling your demonstrated behavior because any time anyone does make the argument that Putin’s being an imperialist asshole trying to erase Ukraine and re-start the Soviet Union, you just whitewash it with “NATO provoked this yada yada yada Putin was justified, trust me I’m an expert.” There’s no genuine room for discussion there, but nice try.

Bro let's be clear what happened in the last 48 hours. 

Someone posted a video lecture but admitted they didn't know the bio of the dude. 

I took the time to look it up and posted some highlights. 

Im asked to defend said lecturers opinion by Prosuper. Not sure if he meant it personally or not, but I don't really feel the need to defend his opinion, he had a 2 hour lecture posted here of him doing that. If you disagree with it fine, go do your own lecture series. 

You come down my throat as a "Putin simp" because you house internal anger issues or whatever.

Once again.... All I did was post a dudes bio. I haven't been active on this thread in a debating format in weeks. 

1 hour ago, ecugringo said:

Side note: read an article last night can't find the link now but it discussed how the Intel Agencies missed on Russian Military capabilities.  

Maybe they missed on purpose this time. Better to over than  under, ya know?

15 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Bro let's be clear what happened in the last 48 hours. 

Someone posted a video lecture but admitted they didn't know the bio of the dude. 

I took the time to look it up and posted some highlights. 

Im asked to defend said lecturers opinion by Prosuper. Not sure if he meant it personally or not, but I don't really feel the need to defend his opinion, he had a 2 hour lecture posted here of him doing that. If you disagree with it fine, go do your own lecture series. 

You come down my throat as a "Putin simp" because you house internal anger issues or whatever.

Once again.... All I did was post a dudes bio. I haven't been active on this thread in a debating format in weeks. 

Always good to approach any problem from multiple angles but there is book smart and street smart, there ain't one definitive clear answer and there is likely at least some validity to both. I do however think this is way more a street smart problem. Putin is a grade A asshole, but a very street smart dude. Keep it simple stupid. The only reason to fear NATO is if you're uh, doing something bad. 

Humans are as much academics as we are animals. Academics often forget that, but animals can't comprehend the academics.

Ever seen an interview with like a convicted murderer? "Why'd you kill her"....."I don't know, I wanted to". 

11 hours ago, FLEA said:

It this was his opinion that the war in Ukraine is NATO's fault, if so logic dictates Putin should have taken all the former Warsaw pact countries that border mother Russia. My own personal opinion this is a natural resource grab, oil, natural gas and the best farm land in Eurasia. Turkey should have helped Ukraine get in NATO which would have been beneficial for having a ally on the opposite coast of the Black Sea.

It seems that anybody that didn't spend $100k plus on an education you look down upon, just like the abortion argument , no ovaries or uterus STFU. Let me know how far you go into life mistaking education for intelligence. I.E. the founders of Tesla, Space X and Microsoft, all dropped out of high end schools. 

Edited by Prosuper
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Prosuper said:

It this was his opinion that the war in Ukraine is NATO's fault, if so logic dictates Putin should have taken all the former Warsaw pact countries that border mother Russia. My own personal opinion this is a natural resource grab, oil, natural gas and the best farm land in Eurasia. Turkey should have helped Ukraine get in NATO which would have been beneficial for having a ally on the opposite coast of the Black Sea.

It seems that anybody that didn't spend $100k plus on an education you look down upon, just like the abortion argument , no ovaries or uterus STFU. Let me know how far you go into life mistaking education for intelligence. I.E. the founders of Tesla, Space X and Microsoft, all dropped out of high end schools. 

Has nothing to do with a $100K education. But people that do this often work in the circles of the NSC, lecture GOs, and advise. So they are privy to a lot of the higher level decision making complexes that frankly most won't see ever in a military career. Like any college education, it just gets you in the door. Experience is the real driver here, just like any job, and the fact of the matter is that most people in the military never work at the strategic level. However people who build their career in national security with education often publish books, get invited to panels, lecture higher level officials, work on think tanks, and otherwise big brain some of the nations problems. They often serve in temporary appointments to higher level billets, etc...

There seems to be an inmate disdain for higher education in some circles of the AF. I get that there are some valid criticisms of the sector. Some schools carry strong political bias, academia abandoned the DoD after Vietnam, and education has often been inaccessible by many Americans due to cost. Everyone needs to build their own career path. You're certainly capable of getting there without education, but the road is going to be much less clear and attaining the requisite experience is going to be difficult. 

Regarding your logical assessment on the Baltic, I'll just offer you some thoughts to chew on, and maybe they can help you think of reasons Russia may not have targeted the Baltic states when they ascended.

Is the terrain in the Baltic as strategically important as Ukraine to Russia?

How does Kaliningrad change the situation of that strategy in the Baltics? 

When the Baltic states ascended was Russia capable of launching a war? Did they have the political will? Was there a possibility that a path for diplomacy was looked at first? 

What conversations with DC did the Kremlin have when the first states ascended? 

How did Russia react after that ascension? Statement? Hostilities? Etc...

What was the effect of the first and second Chechnyan war on Russia's Calculus?

Edited by FLEA

45 minutes ago, ecugringo said:

Why is Zelensky meeting with Ben Stiller?  Why is Ben Stiller in Ukraine?  Seems odd the head of state that's currently at war has time to meet with a holly wood actor?

he's the UNHCR ambassador

• Upvote 1