Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

MSM Is Empire Fanfic For Children

Caitlin Johnstone is an Australian-based writer who brings an interesting perspective to current events.

Her latest post is good in it's own right, but the thing that really stuck out was how Zelensky spoke at both the Grammys and the Cannes Film Festival (via video feed, of course).

Of the many things that are troubling about everything surrounding Ukraine, the fact you have this foreign leader speaking at these award shows seems bordering on the bizarre.  One aspect of the progressive left is how quickly and easily they are whipped up into fury over the latest cause (Covid, vaccines, BLM, etc).  Appearances by Zelensky at these events seem to point towards the continual effort to rally support for increasing involvement of the West in Ukraine.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

MSM Is Empire Fanfic For Children

Caitlin Johnstone is an Australian-based writer who brings an interesting perspective to current events.

Her latest post is good in it's own right, but the thing that really stuck out was how Zelensky spoke at both the Grammys and the Cannes Film Festival (via video feed, of course).

Of the many things that are troubling about everything surrounding Ukraine, the fact you have this foreign leader speaking at these award shows seems bordering on the bizarre.  One aspect of the progressive left is how quickly and easily they are whipped up into fury over the latest cause (Covid, vaccines, BLM, etc).  Appearances by Zelensky at these events seem to point towards the continual effort to rally support for increasing involvement of the West in Ukraine.

It is interesting that a foreign leader gets the personnel attention mentioned.  And yeah its pretty obvious the US/West in a war with Putin via Ukraine.  Perhaps this is hte future of warfare.  Engaging enemies through a 3rd party and fully supporting them.

I have a contractor on my property in his late 50's or early 60's from Poland.  His dad was in a German camp run by Ukrainians.  He still lives in Poland but picks up work in the US for a friend.  He has an interesting take on all this.  He says the only euros you trust less than Russians are Ukrainians.  He feels bad about this whole war and doesnt want it but hes not too sympathetic either.  His far out theory is that they wanted to clear out the east from the RUssians to make way for Jewish resettlements.  Apparently Israel was looking to expand on the coast of the Black Sea and Russia said that.  IDK.  His thoughts not mine.  Either way, the whole war seems odd and a bunch of horrible decisions made but seem pretty clear to everyone else.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

One aspect of the progressive left is how quickly and easily they are whipped up into fury over the latest cause (Covid, vaccines, BLM, etc).

Cool, maybe we can veer this thread into owning the libs again…

I don’t see anything new about popular support for a foreign leader fighting an adversary. I bet the 1940 Grammys would’ve had Churchill up on sat video. You know, if they had satellites. And video. And the Grammys…

59 minutes ago, ecugringo said:

Perhaps this is hte future of warfare.  Engaging enemies through a 3rd party and fully supporting them.

I submit to you that this is a continuation of a long trend in warfare. Top of my head, the Soviet-Afghan War, Vietnam, Korea, Spanish Civil War, I’m sure I’m missing some. Oh here we go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proxy_wars

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ecugringo said:

His far out theory is that they wanted to clear out the east from the RUssians to make way for Jewish resettlements.  Apparently Israel was looking to expand on the coast of the Black Sea and Russia said that.  IDK.  His thoughts not mine. 

That's about the quality of analysis I would expect when you ask a Polish 50-year-old contractor about a geopolitical dispute in a region his family has deep and emotional ties to.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lord Ratner said:

That's about the quality of analysis I would expect when you ask a Polish 50-year-old contractor about a geopolitical dispute in a region his family has deep and emotional ties to.

Well I didnt ask, he volunteered the opinion.  I just listen since I want a quality job done.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Cool, maybe we can veer this thread into owning the libs again…

In the context of linked article I discussed, the author makes an entirely different point.  It's not left vs right.  Both "sides" are pushing for larger and larger intervention in Ukraine, and if you buy into the typical "my political party vs your political party" argument, then you're a fool.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I submit to you that this is a continuation of a long trend in warfare. Top of my head, the Soviet-Afghan War, Vietnam, Korea, Spanish Civil War, I’m sure I’m missing some. Oh here we go: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proxy_wars

Our current efforts in Ukraine are clearly another proxy war.  Which, hell, I'm not even against it.  I wish Putin wouldn't have invaded, but now that he has, I see the arguments for giving various forms of support to Zelensky (military, financial, logistical, humanitarian, etc)

Where does it end though?  If you're keeping score, we have a bad track record at proxy wars:

• Korea - 1950-1953.  We're still there.
  • Vietnam: 15 years of pouring blood and treasure into a country, then left.
  • Afghanistan: We supported the mujahedeen against the Soviets - where the fuck did that get us?  An invite back to the country for 20 years of pain and a Global War on Terror.
  • Various involvement in Central and South American proxy wars during the 80s: Not too bad for the average American.  Left those poor countries in shambles, though.

Would love to see us support Zelensky in his push to get the Russians out of Ukraine.  I'd cheer along with him as the last Russian troop walks back across the border, without his weapon.  I'd hope Biden and his team have a nice celebration in the Situation Room when that happens.

But then what?  My fear is we end up doing the same thing in Ukraine that we've done everywhere else.  We stay, and continue to pour a bunch of our national treasure into a rat hole.  Eventually we start spilling American blood there, too.

Edited by Blue

1 hour ago, DirkDiggler said:

Good, hope it was one of our Stingers and he burned all the way down.

63 year old guys should away stay from air combat, there is a reason you see don't guys 50 plus flying combat missions. Draken air included.

I think the Russian military needs a forum like this one, they are sounding off on their own brass for being morons just like we do. Top Russian Military Brass Caught Venting, ‘You’re F*cked, Putin—Motherf*cker!’ (thedailybeast.com)