Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

13 hours ago, waveshaper said:

"Russia says flagship of Black Sea fleet badly damaged by blast | Reuters

This story just hit the news about 45 minutes ago. There are two versions of what happened (TBD) but either way it sounds like this Russian Flagship is probably toast/artificial reef material. "The Neptune (Ukrainian: Р-360 «Нептун», romanizedR-360 "Neptun") is a Ukrainian anti-ship cruise missile. The system entered service with the Ukrainian Navy in March 2021 and has a 330lb Warhead"

"Russia on Thursday said the flagship of its Black Sea fleet was seriously damaged and its crew evacuated following a fire that caused an explosion, as a Ukrainian official said the vessel had been hit by missiles."

"The incident on the Moskva missile cruiser occurred after ammunition on board blew up, Interfax news agency quoted the Russian defence ministry as saying."

"Maksym Marchenko, governor of the region around the Black Sea port of Odesa, said in an online post that the 12,500 tonne ship was hit by two missiles, without providing evidence.

"Neptune missiles guarding the Black Sea caused very serious damage," he said in an online post."

etc:

Russia says flagship of Black Sea fleet badly damaged by blast | Reuters

Cruiser Moskva sails into the harbour of Sevastopol

Nice win for Ukraine after all the cruise missiles they’ve absorbed from the Black Sea Fleet.  Hopefully a good portion of her crew is fish food.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

Nice win for Ukraine after all the cruise missiles they’ve absorbed from the Black Sea Fleet.  Hopefully a good portion of her crew is fish food.

I hope Taiwan is paying attention. If I were them, I would stack the whole island with as many top end air defense and anti ship systems I could get my hands on.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

I have been hearing but not confirmed only about 50ish crewman got off her but that leaves about 450 that will go down with her.

13 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I have been hearing but not confirmed only about 50ish crewman got off her but that leaves about 450 that will go down with her.

Its somewhere between sitting at the bottom of black sea or small contained explosion and carrying on.  

6 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Its somewhere between sitting at the bottom of black sea or small contained explosion and carrying on.  

Here's the latest (just now hitting the news cycle):

"Russian Navy’s Black Sea flagship RTS Moskva (121) has sunk while being towed toward Sevastopol, Crimea, after sustaining major damage in a fire Wednesday, Russian state media said on Thursday.

“During the towing of the Moskva cruiser to the port of destination, the ship lost its stability due to damage to the hull received during the fire from the detonation of ammunition. In the conditions of stormy seas, the ship sank,” the Russian ministry of defense told the TASS newswire."

UPDATED: Russia Says Damaged Cruiser Moskva Sank Under Tow Headed to Black Sea Homeport

UPDATED: Russia Says Damaged Cruiser Moskva Sank Under Tow Headed to Black Sea Homeport - USNI News

4 minutes ago, waveshaper said:

Here's the latest (just now hitting the news cycle):

"Russian Navy’s Black Sea flagship RTS Moskva (121) has sunk while being towed toward Sevastopol, Crimea, after sustaining major damage in a fire Wednesday, Russian state media said on Thursday.

“During the towing of the Moskva cruiser to the port of destination, the ship lost its stability due to damage to the hull received during the fire from the detonation of ammunition. In the conditions of stormy seas, the ship sank,” the Russian ministry of defense told the TASS newswire."

UPDATED: Russia Says Damaged Cruiser Moskva Sank Under Tow Headed to Black Sea Homeport

UPDATED: Russia Says Damaged Cruiser Moskva Sank Under Tow Headed to Black Sea Homeport - USNI News

friggin niceeeee

If you are looking for a way to help I highly recommend the The Mozart Group  They are looking for funds AND volunteers.

The founder is a good friend and retired Marine O-6 who has been on the ground in Ukraine for some time trying to make a difference.  He stood up this group and they are working hard to train Ukrainian forces in a large array of tactics and capabilities as they kick the shit out of the Russians.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

The speculation I've seen about Putin is all over the board.  Everywhere from "He's isolated in his ivory tower, suffering from a fatal, incurable disease," to "He's 100% in control of all of the levers of government."  I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle, but who knows.

Would love to see some kind of palace coup, with a bloodless transfer of power, and a negotiated end to the war in Ukraine.

I worry about the results of a cornered Putin.  Cornered via continued losses in Ukraine, or via some kind of internal struggle.  The cornered rat bites the hardest, and all that.

Edited by Blue

21 hours ago, Blue said:

The speculation I've seen about Putin is all over the board.  Everywhere from "He's isolated in his ivory tower, suffering from a fatal, incurable disease," to "He's 100% in control of all of the levers of government."  I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle, but who knows.

Would love to see some kind of palace coup, with a bloodless transfer of power, and a negotiated end to the war in Ukraine.

I worry about the results of a cornered Putin.  Cornered via continued losses in Ukraine, or via some kind of internal struggle.  The cornered rat bites the hardest, and all that.

I'd really like to know how the average Russian citizen feels. I feel like we (or maybe just me) is hearing about the protests followed by mass arrests. But I figure that has to be a small minority. How does generic Ivan (Joe Shmoe) and Anastasia (Plain Jane) really feel about Putin?

"Surveys conducted immediately before and after the outbreak of the Ukrainian invasion on 24 February report that the majority of ordinary Russians expressed support for the Ukrainian war and for President Putin."

Source (no idea on it's validity): https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2022/03/17/what-do-ordinary-russians-really-think-about-the-war-in-ukraine/

38 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

How does generic Ivan (Joe Shmoe) and Anastasia (Plain Jane) really feel about Putin?

There have been a lot of recordings of conscripts calling family back home where it goes something like this:

Con: "Fuck this place, I was supposed to be home a month ago and they're saying we're not leaving."

Family: "But you're doing great things, you'll be a war hero!"

Con: "Fuck their medals, I don't want that, I don't want to die here and I'm sick of all my friends dying"

Family: "Yeah but you guys are kicking their ass!"

Con: "The fuck we are, we don't even know if we're hitting anything, but they're sure as shit hitting us!"

And so forth. Conversations like this seem to shed light on what the general population is being fed information-wise vs. what is actually being experienced in Ukraine. Surely there are groups of people who know better and are protesting, but seems like they're the minority.

McCarthy says Ukraine invasion should serve as ‘lesson’ for arming Taiwan (msn.com)

Timely article. Hope we see concrete actions from those who can actually make it happen.

He touches on an interesting point that had we done more arming Ukraine earlier it might have prevented the invasion in the first place. Clearly no way to know in hindsight. Of course, no one ever remembers the attack, mishap or crash for that matter that is prevented or otherwise never occurs.

Edited by fire4effect

5 hours ago, brabus said:

There have been a lot of recordings of conscripts calling family back home where it goes something like this:

Con: "Fuck this place, I was supposed to be home a month ago and they're saying we're not leaving."

Family: "But you're doing great things, you'll be a war hero!"

Con: "Fuck their medals, I don't want that, I don't want to die here and I'm sick of all my friends dying"

Family: "Yeah but you guys are kicking their ass!"

Con: "The fuck we are, we don't even know if we're hitting anything, but they're sure as shit hitting us!"

And so forth. Conversations like this seem to shed light on what the general population is being fed information-wise vs. what is actually being experienced in Ukraine. Surely there are groups of people who know better and are protesting, but seems like they're the minority.

Hell that sounds like a GI calling home from Kandahar.

• Like 1

Picture of the Moskva 2389663c08519e49e8ab295e3acc3420.jpg

Appears to be in the middle of fighting fires aboard. Obviously the guy on the support vessel who snapped this didn’t do his annual cyber awareness and OpSec training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

Picture of the Moskva 2389663c08519e49e8ab295e3acc3420.jpg

Appears to be in the middle of fighting fires aboard. Obviously the guy on the support vessel who snapped this didn’t do his annual cyber awareness and OpSec training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man...just look at the waves made by that storm, tossing the boat like a toy...

• Haha 3

Man...just look at the waves made by that storm, tossing the boat like a toy...

Looking at how low it’s riding in the water, and given the condition of so much other Russian equipment in this war…

I’m betting they made a hell of a lot of effort fighting fires, but don’t have the pumps and trim capability to deal with the excess amounts of water the ship was filling its self up with trying to contain the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk