Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

On 3/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, ClearedHot said:

This video is far more than watching a few Russians burn, it represents a paradigm shift in conflict not seen since PGMs in the first Gulf War.  Despite S400s and large numbers of Russian tactical SAMs the UAS' have reigned supreme in this conflict.  Ukraine's use of the Turkish TB2 has been masterful and well within the S400 ring that is supposed to handle low flying targets like cruise missiles.  Additionally, The Ukrainians have used large numbers of smaller systems to scout and provide actionable/targetable intelligence. 

ISIS and some other folks in the Middle East started the trend, rigging mortars to DJ drones and flying them over allied positions.  This video and a host of others out there illustrate how smaller UAS systems can cue Javelin teams and other anti-armor teams and allow them to mass at decisive locations.  In effect they have integrated the air land combined arms team at a much lower and highly effective level.  It appears the Russians have tried to do the same with far less success.  There was report this morning of a Ukrainian woman who knocked out a small Russian drone with...a jar of cucumbers, as it hovered outside her apartment window.

I hope those currently serving and our leadership is taking note, I guarantee others are taking learning this lesson and you can bet there will be even more emphasis on counter UAS capabilities. 

At least their drones are not catching Taliban fighters having man love Tues with farm animals. I could have done without that.

5 hours ago, Prosuper said:

At least their drones are not catching Taliban fighters having man love Tues with farm animals. I could have done without that.

Hey now, those are some valuable sorties making sure that the Taliban were complying with the latest PETA guidelines! 🐑😆

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Prosuper said:

I'm old enough to remember what happened to the puppet govt that the USSR left in charge in Afghanistan in 1989. Their guy lost in a civil war against the Taliban and got hung, our guy we left in charge read a history book, took the money and ran.

Winter on Fire on Netflix, been on my watch list for awhile, in depth look at the revolution that occurred in 2014 ousting the former puppet government. Pretty graphic, protesters marching and getting violently beaten by the puppet governments goons, eventually turned into goons sniping protesters. Some good insight into why these people are fighting so hard, and will most likely continue to do so as long as the Russians are in their boarders. 

It’s also a great example of why the second amendment is so important. 

• Upvote 1

All things end, if Putin doesn't go NBC with his army outnumbered since babushkas armed with lethal pickle jars now are also armed with AK-47s.  Their budget most likely pocketed by Oligarchs and Generals instead of being spent on training and equipment, an NCO corps in name only is probably the reason why so many Russian Generals are being killed with nobody up front to maintain discipline and keep the troops on point. My question is what will happen to us when it is realized by voters in Peoria that the big bad bear is a paper tiger. Will DOD get smaller, and the budget goes to peaceful pursuits? Just think of the lower-class kids receiving a great education by well-paid and respected teachers, the horror.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prosuper said:

My question is what will happen to us when it is realized by voters in Peoria that the big bad bear is a paper tiger. Will DOD get smaller, and the budget goes to peaceful pursuits?

We still have China...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:52 PM, Prosuper said:

I remember two very weird stories told in bars. First was a guy talking about getting a BJ from a bottle calf. Never thought anything could top that until years later a guy trying to explain how you could fuck a chicken without killing it. Didn't hang around for the full explanation of that. Iv'e been drunk enough to think some pretty stupid things were good ideas but never been drunk enough to even think about something like that. 

On 3/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, Prosuper said:

<snipped> Just think of the lower-class kids receiving a great education by well-paid and respected teachers, the horror.

Teachers aren't the main problem with our education system from what I've seen.  Teaching AFJROTC at a high school now and a heck of lot of parents don't care one iota about their kid's education or whether Sally studies or Johnny turns in his homework.  There is only so much a teacher can do to make a student take the class seriously, take notes, study, do the homework, etc.  The parents need to make Johnny or Sally do that.  Rant switch off...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Teachers aren't the main problem with our education system from what I've seen.  Teaching AFJROTC at a high school now and a heck of lot of parents don't care one iota about their kid's education or whether Sally studies or Johnny turns in his homework.  There is only so much a teacher can do to make a student take the class seriously, take notes, study, do the homework, etc.  The parents need to make Johnny or Sally do that.  Rant switch off...

You obviously don't have pre-pubescent boys. You'd be more inclined to make a caveman do something. I got to the point with my 5th grader where I just told him that the choice is his to do his homework, but when he turns 18, the choice is mine as to whether or not I allow him to continue to suck on the proverbial tit or I make him hit the road. He ain't living in my basement.