Russian Ukraine shenanigans

08Dawg

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

Just be sure to fill out that high-risk activity form before submitting your leave request. 

Yeah, would be more for anybody who's separated/retired.  That would be a weird conversation with your commander most likely followed by "no......." 

Good podcast on Russian military performance so far in war

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/war-on-the-rocks/id682478916?i=1000552446157

BLUF - they (Russians) are holding back their full capability (artillery, air, other fires) to not totally wreck the place but as that restraint is leading to slow progress to victory the gloves might come off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Good podcast on Russian military performance so far in war

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/war-on-the-rocks/id682478916?i=1000552446157

BLUF - they (Russians) are holding back their full capability (artillery, air, other fires) to not totally wreck the place but as that restraint is leading to slow progress to victory the gloves might come off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are their troops surrendering without fighting, texting their mom’s saying they initially thought it was an exercise, and running out of fuel in their equipment part of that strategy?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sua Sponte said:

Are their troops surrendering without fighting, texting their mom’s saying they initially thought it was an exercise, and running out of fuel in their equipment part of that strategy?

The conscripts might be but professional soldiers are a different beast. 

Something I realized working in Korea is we tend to forget the pros and cons of conscription in the US. Not all conscripts will soldier. It's a numbers game. You pull thousands of them expecting only half to be useful. The other half are bullet sponges. 

• Like 1

Don't know how true this is but I've seen similar reports over the past two days.  Glimmer of hope for the Ukrainians perhaps.  An urban combat slugfest isn't going to help Russian morale if it's already flagging.

3 minutes ago, fire4effect said:

Not to mention a royal pain on the SF-86

Also noticed that the Ukrainian authorities are encouraging people to come wearing their home nations uniform which is not a very good idea.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FLEA said:

Also noticed that the Ukrainian authorities are encouraging people to come wearing their home nations uniform which is not a very good idea.

Oh boy.

Somewhere in America, some former servicemember with delusions of glory is digging a set of BDUs out of the back of their closet, stuffing it in a duffel bag procured from Wal Mart, and heading to the airport.

Standing by for a photos of Meal Team 6 ending up on CNN.

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh boy.

Somewhere in America, some former servicemember with delusions of glory is digging a set of BDUs out of the back of their closet, stuffing it in a duffel bag procured from Wal Mart, and heading to the airport.

IMG_9827.thumb.JPG.8b4f7af3be52bbf331a611223037bab9.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh boy.

The way I read it, it wasn't the pattern so much as they want you to be identifiable as a US service member (insignias, flags, etc...), which is obviously problematic for a whole host of issues. 

Very interesting. Russian military rank & file may not be entirely in lock step with Putin or their leadership:

Shashank Joshi (@shashj) Tweeted:
“in some cases, Russian troops have deliberately punched holes in their vehicles’ gas tanks, presumably to avoid combat, the official said. The Pentagon official declined to say how the military made these assessments” https://t.co/eIdOFOBxGP

12 minutes ago, Sim said:

Interview with Scott Ritter from 26 Feb. A little background on Ukraine crisis that media will not discuss. 

Less than 5 minutes in & they’re already apologizing for Putin and cupping his balls. No need to listen to any more of their pro-despotic drivel. Go post that garbage somewhere else. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Prozac said:

Less than 5 minutes in & they’re already apologizing for Putin and cupping his balls. No need to listen to any more of their pro-despotic drivel. Go post that garbage somewhere else. 

i listened to the entire thing. it's very interesting and i'd encourage anyone who wants to actually learn the history of this conflict to give it a listen.

knowing your enemy is important.

one more youtube video and one more article related to the topic:

https://theconversation.com/ukraine-war-follows-decades-of-warnings-that-nato-expansion-into-eastern-europe-could-provoke-russia-177999

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1