Guard Pilot and Family

You’re going to piss off at least 1 of the 3, accept that, and don’t make that 1 your family. As long as you take that approach, you’ll be fine. If you’re lucky, you’ll have good leadership at both jobs and you may actually not piss off any of them, but that wouldn’t be my expectation, especially if one boss has never done the other job.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a balancing act, for sure. I have found that the more comfortable you are in the airplane (either guard/res or airline) the easier it is to juggle another one. I have witnessed many newly-winged pilots complete their unit indoc only to go immediately back to requal for their airline. The result is that they always seem to be playing catch-up, bouncing between checkrides and always feeling behind. It’s even more difficult if your MDS has lots of training requirements. Part of the business I suppose.

I’ll shoot you straight, it can be a challenge to juggle family, airline and guard…especially if/when you’re junior at either organization. It’s totally doable, but it is going to require sacrifices. (Commuting, working weekends, missing holidays, going straight from an airline trip to the guard squadron, etc.) It largely depends on how much you want to work. Some pilots I know prefer to work a full airline schedule and complete their ANG duty on days off (more pay). Others will preserve their days off and use Military Leave to drop a trip(s) (more days with the fam).

The only right answer is the one that works for you, your family and your finances. I have found in my experience that if you make a reasonable attempt to stay current/qualified, stay off the “lists” (physical, PT test, annual sim, etc.), and contribute to the needs of the flying schedule when able, no one will sweat ya if you need to lay low to handle family/airline stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Flyman said:

How is the family life balance for those that have a normal 9-5 job and commute to a heavy reserve/guard squadron?

Bad, especially commuting!! It will be marginally better if you are willing/able to drop unlimited mil leave on your employer.  9-5ers are usually missed more than gear lever actuators if they leave for a week, so I find they try to do mil without using mil leave.  Family, AF, employer. Pick two. 

Edited by nunya

• 1 year later...

Manage expectations - family will not always be #1 (exceptions like emergencies/tragedies obviously). Don’t get so wrapped up in work you forget you have a family, meaning make time for them as best you can around work requirements. This means doing things she wants to do/is cool with on Sat during UPT. Take 30 min when you get home and sit down for dinner/hang out with your wife. It’s probably all you can give most of the time during the week, but you both need that 30 mins, for multiple reasons.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brabus said:

Manage expectations - family will not always be #1 (exceptions like emergencies/tragedies obviously). Don’t get so wrapped up in work you forget you have a family, meaning make time for them as best you can around work requirements. This means doing things she wants to do/is cool with on Sat during UPT. Take 30 min when you get home and sit down for dinner/hang out with your wife. It’s probably all you can give most of the time during the week, but you both need that 30 mins, for multiple reasons.

How about once you are in TR status? Much better on the family I assume?

Yes, I was talking more about the first 2.5-3 years of training. Once MQT complete, things will settle a bit into more “routine.” TR life balance is still something you have to work at, because you now have two employers to please, plus your family. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you're a good contributor to the unit, is the guard/reserve pretty good at working with you around significant life events? i.e what if you have a deployment scheduled around the same time as the birth of a child? 

In my experience, absolutely. I think generally guard leadership is really good about helping their people. You’re still in the mil, so it’s not a guarantee, but my guess is they are willing to forego you going at all, look around to find a volunteer from a different unit to fill the time you’d like to be home, etc. There’s usually a way to make it happen for important stuff like a birth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1