Not Promoting to Major

I've been through this.  Here is my experience from 2016.  First the Air Force will offer you continuation (usually to 20) or not.  If they don't offer, you will receive involuntary separation pay (assuming you did not write a "do not promote me" letter to the promotion board).  If they do offer continuation, you can accept or not accept.  If you accept continuation, you just continue to serve in the Air Force.  All of your relevant ADSCs still apply, but there isn't any new ADSC for accepting continuation.  If you do not accept, you have a few months to get out of the Air Force (6 IIRC).  Be aware that this counts as an involuntary separation, but you won't get involuntary separation pay.  The distinction matters because Big Blue processes involuntary separations for officers MUCH faster than voluntary separations.  A voluntary separation has to work its way through all the wickets to the approval authority who is the SECAF.  An involuntary separation is approved by literally some SSgt at AFPC.  I was able to get out in just over a month.

8 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

I've been through this.  Here is my experience from 2016.  First the Air Force will offer you continuation (usually to 20) or not.  If they don't offer, you will receive involuntary separation pay (assuming you did not write a "do not promote me" letter to the promotion board).  If they do offer continuation, you can accept or not accept.  If you accept continuation, you just continue to serve in the Air Force.  All of your relevant ADSCs still apply, but there isn't any new ADSC for accepting continuation.  If you do not accept, you have a few months to get out of the Air Force (6 IIRC).  Be aware that this counts as an involuntary separation, but you won't get involuntary separation pay.  The distinction matters because Big Blue processes involuntary separations for officers MUCH faster than voluntary separations.  A voluntary separation has to work its way through all the wickets to the approval authority who is the SECAF.  An involuntary separation is approved by literally some SSgt at AFPC.  I was able to get out in just over a month.

Yep.   

On 10/29/2021 at 1:11 AM, guineapigfury said:

Might be worth a call to your AFPC assignments officer. They might also take into consideration if you have a UIF or whatever. 

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm curious to know about if I don't promote to LtCol. Same thing? Or with this 5 look new system (anyone have any info on this all I got is rumint) would you just get to sanctuary and be good to retire?

32 minutes ago, QAZqaz said:

Might be worth a call to your AFPC assignments officer. They might also take into consideration if you have a UIF or whatever. 

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm curious to know about if I don't promote to LtCol. Same thing? Or with this 5 look new system (anyone have any info on this all I got is rumint) would you just get to sanctuary and be good to retire?

I’m curious about the new 5 year look as well. From what I’ve seen, it’s not official yet. From a message I sent to AFPC. For my sake, I hope it’s still 2 look board

3 hours ago, Shakermaker said:

5 year look is not in play, and probably won't be for quite a while until DOPMA is changed.

In some ways, it seems the AF pulled a sleight-of-hand by pulling BPZ while stating they were moving to a five-year window. In effect, you now have one look much like the other services, notwithstanding the single digit odds APZ.

• Like 1

5 year look is not in play, and probably won't be for quite a while until DOPMA is changed.

This is my opinion after looking at the situation since it was announced. I think that AFPC wanted to do this (maybe DOD), the good idea fairy took off, then someone noticed that DOPMA & ROPMA wouldn’t allow it.
Additionally, I think one of the motivating factors was guys ducking out of the UPT ADSC 2-3 years early as a result of DOPMA (ie mandatory DOS after 2xFOS to O-4.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 4:11 AM, guineapigfury said:

Separation is set for 6 months after your 2nd time passed over, but you were able to separate a month later? So you do not have to wait the entire 6 months? How long do you have to decide on continuation?

As for the 5 look rumor, I contacted a person at AFPC who said the AF is looking into it but it's not changing in the near future. It's undergoing a Rand study.

Separation is set for 6 months after your 2nd time passed over, but you were able to separate a month later? So you do not have to wait the entire 6 months? How long do you have to decide on continuation?

As for the 5 look rumor, I contacted a person at AFPC who said the AF is looking into it but it's not changing in the near future. It's undergoing a Rand study.

You have a maximum of six months

• 2 weeks later...