Insanity vs Determination

Ladies and Gents:

They say insanity is "doing the same thing over again and expecting different results".  There is a limit between insanity and determination here.

I've applied to multiple units the past 2 year always ending in rejection.  Had 1 interview at a fighter squadron last year.  PCSM/AFOQT Pilot high 90s.  Near 1000 hours flight time and CFI.  Engineer undergrad and graduate degree with high GPA.  Good job.  Athletics in college and now.  Age 30.  Well- rounded.  

I ask for advice on my application post rejection and either it is no response or it is "we don't see anything wrong, but it was just really competitive this year".  This isn't really constructive evidence to build from, and I am afraid that I am just putting out applications with no frame to improve on.  It is even more daunting that I don't even make the cuts to do a squadron visit.  

I don't like to quit, I will not quit.  But there is a point for putting in more effort to get no results.

Has anyone else been in the same boat?  Ideas?

Thanks

There's also a distinction between not bad and good. It sounds like you're a great candidate but your presentation is lacking and only in the "not bad" column. Have you considered BogiDope's resume prep? They're pretty good at showing you how to really sell yourself

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dude. I’ll just say it. From the guard and reserve units I’ve talked to, the number one thing that people usually look at is how well you fit into the unit. Active duty would have picked you up already if what you say about your back ground is true. But the units in the guard and reserve really want to match with you because they are stuck with you and fam for long term. And the wrong guy makes waves for years.

If you aren’t getting picked up then you might just not be a fit. If it’s important for you to serve as a pilot, then I would keep trying and apply to active duty when you reach the breaking point that the AD won’t let you in because of age any longer or you no longer can go.

If fighters is what you want, there is a good chance with your back ground that you will compete well for an active duty fighter slot.

I agree with the other comments. It’s possible your app didn’t do a good job of displaying who you are. However if you got an interview the in person overcomes the poorly put togetherapp.

You kinda sound like a close carbon copy of me, starting to wonder the same stuff. I think if an interview comes off wrong or you are misunderstood you can dig yourself a hole, or at least I may have. I think AD might be my ticket if there is going to be one soon. I guess at some reasonable point you gotta wake up and say "it just didn't happen". I guess it's like pro sports, everyone wants to get to the top but not everyone does. Shut that out tho and try anyways, when you die you will judge yourself on how hard you pushed in life. 

From a mental point: I do recommend making sure you enjoy and are proud of your other achievements tho, which is a mistake I made. I had the mentality that if I didn't ever fly a fighter I sucked at life. Not true, plenty of hall of famers who never get a championship ring. I start my CFI gig in two weeks, couldn't be more excited. But for sure fight for it till you die (age out). 

Are you applying to only fighter units? It seems a bit peculiar that you have only had one interview with those credentials. I applied for three months, got two interviews, and was just selected after my second. All with scores lower than yours and considerably less hours with only a PPL. 

I would say that if you aren’t already, apply anywhere and everywhere if you really want this. For myself, I looked at it as a “beggars can’t be choosers” situation. Also, I think you need to take another look at your cover letter/resume/LOR’s. I would be happy to review and give advice if you are interested! 

I’m 18 fighter squadron applications in so far, with zero interviews. So I feel your pain! Your background is stellar, so I highly recommend bogidope prep if you haven’t already! 

When rushing I met a pilot who applied 56 times to fighter squadrons with zero interviews, got one interview and was hired. I think in our situation it’s a numbers game, every application is another set of eyes on your app. That set of eyes could be the one that leads to an interview which leads to your dream job. You never know when you’re one application away! 

I agree with the personality meshing mentioned earlier, rushing is an inherently awkward experience so it’s often hard to judge how well you mesh. Especially when there are a large number of applicants visiting at one time. My advice is to just be yourself, don’t change or act differently just for them. If it’s meant to be you will find the unit that’s right for you! 

cheers and I hope we see each other in UPT one day!

• 4 months later...

Re Insanity vs. Determination, does it seem to anyone that the number of folks applying for UPT slots has increased substantially in the past few years?  If so, the scales might tip a bit towards insanity. All of the units that I've spoken with (only about a dozen so far) have had over 100 applicants for each UPT opening.

I'm an optimist by nature, but I'm wondering if I should be spending more time exploring AD options.

Any input from experienced voices on the forum will be most welcome!

When I was applying five years ago, it seemed like maybe 25-30% of units advertised their announcements somewhere central. Most were either word of mouth or on individual unit pages. Now I feel like virtually every unit is posting on Bogidope. It's a lot easier to be aware of boards, which means more applicants apply to more boards because why not.

Open your options to heavies and helos if you haven't already. Be realistic about what your options are with the time you have left. Age is definitely a factor as well, but sometimes it just comes down to personality and whether or not they like you. Every candidate applying to a fighter unit has a <1% chance of getting picked up - I've met people who are 5+ years in on the application circuit and still sticking to fighters only. At some point you need to ask yourself what it really is you're after - is it flying a specific airframe, or is it flying for the military? 

I really appreciate the input everyone.

I am primarily looking to fly for the military. It goes without saying that it would be an honor to wear the uniform.

I would be happy to fly anything the Guard is currently flying. Any Guard aircraft would all be a big step up from the 152/172 stuff I fly now! 

Edited by Lifties
Just wanted to add that my desire to serve my country is a major factor in wanting to become part of a squadron!