Civilian Nurse Practitioner Employed by Mil Hospital

I'm applying to several Guard units in hopes of flying. My wife is about 1.5 years from graduating as a Nurse Practitioner. Some of the Guard units I'm applying to are not close to major hospitals. Do Mil hospitals employee civilians (specifically Nurse Practitioners)? 

I've used to search feature for this topic, but I couldn't come up with anything. 

6 minutes ago, nunya said:

Yes.  Actually finding an opening is a different story.  USAJobs shows mostly VA and Indian Affairs openings. 

Does she not want to do civilian practice?  What specialty?

Women's Health NP. She obviously wouldn't mind a civilian practice; however, many of these guard units are rural and don't have a hospital nearby. Plus the convenience of working in the same area, cuts down on drive time, etc.

Funny that you said Guard units are in rural areas.  I can't think of a single unit (especially with airplanes) I'd call "rural."  I guess we just have different definitions.

My point is that, hospital or not, there's going to be an OB/GYN clinic in whatever town you find yourself.  Anyway, good luck man.  Nursing is one of the nation's most transportable fields.

Edited by nunya

7 minutes ago, nunya said:

Funny that you said Guard units are in rural areas.  I can't think of a single unit (especially with airplanes) I'd call "rural."  I guess we just have different definitions.

My point is that, hospital or not, there's going to be an OB/GYN clinic in whatever town you find yourself.  Anyway, good luck man.  Nursing is one of the nation's most transportable fields.

Thanks for the reply. I supposed I shouldn't say rural. But many ANG units are located 45 minutes to an hour outside of major metro areas. The commute isn't ideal but it is doable!

19 hours ago, flying_pig said:

I'm applying to several Guard units in hopes of flying. My wife is about 1.5 years from graduating as a Nurse Practitioner. Some of the Guard units I'm applying to are not close to major hospitals. Do Mil hospitals employee civilians (specifically Nurse Practitioners)? 

I've used to search feature for this topic, but I couldn't come up with anything. 

FYI Guard units typically do not have full-time medical staff other than a couple admin people.  There are not hospitals on Guard bases.

Just about everywhere available except some California units and units in the northeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

There are a lot of hospitals in the Northeast and all the Guard/Reserve bases that i can think of (besides Bangor) are within an hour’s drive to either Boston, Hartford, Providence…

As I think it through with the exception of maybe Bangor, Mansfield and Grissom all the other Guard/Reserve bases are pretty close to urban areas. Minneapolis, Detroit, OKC, DFW, Denver, Phoenix, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.

What’s your definition of a major hospital and what’s your definition of close?

There are a lot of hospitals in the Northeast and all the Guard/Reserve bases that i can think of (besides Bangor) are within an hour’s drive to either Boston, Hartford, Providence…

As I think it through with the exception of maybe Bangor, Mansfield and Grissom all the other Guard/Reserve bases are pretty close to urban areas. Minneapolis, Detroit, OKC, DFW, Denver, Phoenix, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.

What’s your definition of a major hospital and what’s your definition of close?

I’d have to let my wife answer that one, she’d be the one making the drive. Likely we’ll end up finding a house somewhere between the Guard base and the hospital.

11 minutes ago, herkbum said:

Large medical job market for most of the TNANG based, especially Nashville and Knoxville.

Funny you mention that. We currently live just outside of Nashville. She's a student at a school down there. Knoxville is on my list of units to put in for. Can you tell me more about the job market you mentioned out there?