An early what are my chances (Mid 20s edition)

Shadows

7 hours ago, RocketDriver said:

You're doing all the right things then. My only advice would be to spend more time researching heavy missions before writing them off. Flying Herks or C-17s is a lot cooler than not flying for the military at all, plus you'll get a lot more flight time. If you're willing to go active duty there's already a very high chance you won't fly fighters, so it would be beneficial to look at some of the heavy guard units with interesting missions (e.g. HC-130 or MC-130) and weigh the certainty of flying those birds against the uncertainty of getting stuck with something even less appealing to you if you don't do well in UPT.

I'll echo this. You're on the right start, but dont count out heavies until you give them a chance and go see a squadron for yourself. I mean this in the best way, but with 0 flight hours, you have no idea what you like to do in an airplane. not that a PPL and 100 hours changes that much, but a lot happens when you start flying, and even more-so when you get to UPT and start pulling G's in the T-6, wearing the harness and helmet and G-suit. Some people dig it, others are like, well shit, this sucks. If you can, try and get an aerobatics lesson when you start flying. And like Rocket said, something is better than nothing, and every aircraft you fly for the AF will be the best damn one out there. Just go at things with an open mind in todays rushing/applying environment, but go for your dreams by all means. 

20 hours ago, RocketDriver said:

You're doing all the right things then. My only advice would be to spend more time researching heavy missions before writing them off. Flying Herks or C-17s is a lot cooler than not flying for the military at all, plus you'll get a lot more flight time. If you're willing to go active duty there's already a very high chance you won't fly fighters, so it would be beneficial to look at some of the heavy guard units with interesting missions (e.g. HC-130 or MC-130) and weigh the certainty of flying those birds against the uncertainty of getting stuck with something even less appealing to you if you don't do well in UPT.

I understand that sentiment, and I don't want to come off as arrogant or cocky or anything like that. But I am going to fly fighters. At this point in time I simply cannot envision myself doing anything else. Even considering an alternative feels wrong. I would rather gamble with the uncertainty of AD and bet on myself than have the certainty of something I KNOW I do not want.

• Haha 1

I understand that sentiment, and I don't want to come off as arrogant or cocky or anything like that. But I am going to fly fighters.

Not saying you won’t, but I’ve known several people with your attitude and far more aviation experience than you prior to UPT who didn’t get fighters (including some Guard who were hired and sent to UPT by fighter units).
  • Upvote 1

I understand that sentiment, and I don't want to come off as arrogant or cocky or anything like that. But I am going to fly fighters. At this point in time I simply cannot envision myself doing anything else. Even considering an alternative feels wrong. I would rather gamble with the uncertainty of AD and bet on myself than have the certainty of something I KNOW I do not want.

Remember this word for word. You’ll be saying it again in an interview. I believe in you

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

The enthusiasm is great. But there are 200+ applicants to a fighter board with the same attitude. Ivy league graduates, lawyers, doctors, pilots with thousands of hours, and applicants in the unit all of whom have great scores.  The likely only reason i got hired was because i was a crew chief in the unit, and had a PPL. A civilian without a PPL faces an extremely uphill battle. Again, not impossible. Even getting a UPT slot with AD is extremely difficult. Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Just posting an update. I've been grinding away working and generating flight time. Got about 10 hours under my belt now with no intention of stopping. Hoping to accumulate 21+ to get me to an 85 PCSM by the Mako's deadline of June 6th. Went to visit Jacksonville in person early last month, saw them at their social this past weekend, and I'm hoping to get back there at least one more time soon to keep rushing. If I don't land an interview that's ok, I'll just come back next time with a stronger packet (or I'll get nabbed by AD; who knows?). They're by far my top choice. Anyways, hope you're all doing well!

• Like 1