Retire then Hire Program

Bode

No prob. As usual, you need to do the math. On the surface it looks good, and the conversion is especially popular with O-5 to O-6. Not gonna lie, I was initially tempted. But I did the math and the extra yrs of lost wages on the civilian side made it not worthwhile.
Now, if you’re gonna do it anyway and damn the math…well, there you go. I ran into this type of thing when I was focused on reducing my RRPA. Then at some point I said, wait a min… this whole effort is only worth $10k per chunk, what in H am I doing? Then take a step back from the kool-aid dispenser and realize that the whole thing is not worth much, comparatively, and depending on your POV, is a loss.

• 3 months later...

Heads up to all thinking of retiring and joining the reserves: the current 10 AF CC 2-star is throwing a wrench in plans. No reason given, but as of now the packages are being stopped from even reaching the approval authority because the 2-star in non-concurring (again no reason given).

One guy was hired so after 20+ yrs his last flight was a full up checkride and he didn’t do a retirement ceremony because he’d save it for his last reserve flight….now he’s being told no by the 2-star, no reason given to the hiring unit leadership.

So TR soots are going unfilled l, USAF mussing out on cheap experienced labor.

Another great example of our management in action,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, di1630 said:

So TR soots are going unfilled l, USAF mussing out on cheap experienced labor.

Another great example of our management in action,

Don't be so cynical. 
It's pretty obvious that they did this because they have solved the pilot retention crises. 

On 5/28/2022 at 4:52 PM, HuggyU2 said:

Don't be so cynical. 
It's pretty obvious that they did this because they have solved the pilot retention crises. 

With the mythical, end-all-be-all, A.I. co-pilot replacement!?!?

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2448376/ai-copilot-air-force-achieves-first-military-flight-with-artificial-intelligence/

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:03 AM, icohftb said:

But will he/she/it/xe take the fat chick?

His name is "Shaved Dog's Ass".  

But you knew that.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

For the couple dudes I know doing it, they get their full retirement and VA pay per standard, then anytime they work as a TR/DSG, they don’t get paid those things, but do get paid the TR/DSG pay for the period(s) they worked. Not sure about accruing more time towards an increased retirement amount. 

• Like 1

So do I get to just show up, fly BFM/DCA/BSA, get my OHWS massage and go home?  Or do I still have to do all the bullshit that makes life painful in the military (SAPR/CBRNE/pretty much anything by flying)?  Also, is there an "indispensable BMC," that is something like 3 sorities/month?  Asking for a friend.

Last year, my WG/CC was denied indispensability by our TAG (Army) because... well, he's Army...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, di1630 said:

Guard reserves are 1100 pilots short…unfilled TR positions in certain AFSCs can go to retired people.

There are limfacs such as time out of the jet/retraining etc. Not everyone will qualify.

No timeframe given for implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Is there a PSDM on this program, info card, pamphlet something?  I hit the jelly of the month club in three weeks, am planning on probably staying around another two years or so AD after that.  I'd be seriously interested in something like this if there was a Herk or SOF unit that would take/need me.

16 hours ago, SocialD said:

So do I get to just show up, fly BFM/DCA/BSA, get my OHWS massage and go home?  Or do I still have to do all the bullshit that makes life painful in the military (SAPR/CBRNE/pretty much anything by flying)?  Also, is there an "indispensable BMC," that is something like 3 sorities/month?  Asking for a friend.

Last year, my WG/CC was denied indispensability by our TAG (Army) because... well, he's Army...

The first dude that was indispensable in our unit, showed up on his first Drill after being “retired” for about 4-5 (I.e. 6-9) months, and was handed a C-bag with all his Chem gear in it for an exercise we were having. He looked at the OG and said, I’m not doing this. Quit that weekend to never come back and has forever lived in infamy. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 5

Is there a PSDM on this program, info card, pamphlet something?  I hit the jelly of the month club in three weeks, am planning on probably staying around another two years or so AD after that.  I'd be seriously interested in something like this if there was a Herk or SOF unit that would take/need me.

No, it’s still being worked out.

If interested start talking to a undermanned unit.

This won’t be for every airframe/every location.

It’ll be used to fill shortfalls in specific MDS and locations that need to retain experience. I’m betting FTUs and pilot training bases will see the most opportunities.

7 hours ago, di1630 said:

No, it’s still being worked out.

If interested start talking to a undermanned unit.

This won’t be for every airframe/every location.

It’ll be used to fill shortfalls in specific MDS and locations that need to retain experience. I’m betting FTUs and pilot training bases will see the most opportunities.

Thanks much, I’ll see what things look like closer to punch time.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:51 AM, ViperMan said:

Want to keep my military affiliation post-retirement, but on my terms.

You mean like the airline captain including his fighter hours and number of traps in his announcements? I bet you could even find a USAF Vet hat to wear. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1