Paying back bonus and getting out

DET1

As the title says I accepted a bonus and now I want to pay it back and get out. I love the Air Force, but I’ve come into some money and want to pursue other goals in life. I recall the bonus paperwork going pretty high up if I decide to pay it back and get out, but was curious if any of you have any experience or know anyone that has done this? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I start anything formal so any recommendations you all have would be appreciated.

if anyone is curious I’ve made this money in investments and now I’m being recruited into some cool startups. I am not joking when I say I love the Air Force, but we only have so much time on this earth and I feel I want to take a gamble and try something new.

Like "how much" new money? Go see a JAG. If it was THAT much the AF may just honorably sperate you no strings attached. For example, if you win the lottery over a certain amount the AF will separate you. The reason is you're considered a liability if you have enough money to not give a fuck. There are security implications etc.... 

11 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Start failing PT tests. 

Would try to avoid this route if you can.  Could lead to a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, not a straight Honorable.  If this was posted in jest I'll pre-emptively call myself out for sarcasm detector inop.

Guest PeggyDriver46

What's the story behind it? 

It also depends on how much. I've heard that if you make a considerable amount of money the Air Force will just separate you honorably, no questions asked. 

Edited by LoveDumpster

1 hour ago, LoveDumpster said:

What's the story behind it? 

It also depends on how much. I've heard that if you make a considerable amount of money the Air Force will just separate you honorably, no questions asked. 

Idk what they consider considerable. I made close to $1million and the startup will offer more than that if I am able to join. I love the Air Force, but the opportunity to work on a project I can really contribute to sounds amazing.

15 hours ago, FLEA said:

Like "how much" new money? Go see a JAG. If it was THAT much the AF may just honorably sperate you no strings attached. For example, if you win the lottery over a certain amount the AF will separate you. The reason is you're considered a liability if you have enough money to not give a fuck. There are security implications etc.... 

I've heard this my whole career but have never seen or heard of it actually being a thing.  

14 minutes ago, uhhello said:

I've heard this my whole career but have never seen or heard of it actually being a thing.  

Never have heard that, and I know a couple people with multi-millions who were/are in the mil with larger than average security clearances.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:54 PM, DET1 said:

As the title says I accepted a bonus and now I want to pay it back and get out. I love the Air Force, but I’ve come into some money and want to pursue other goals in life. I recall the bonus paperwork going pretty high up if I decide to pay it back and get out, but was curious if any of you have any experience or know anyone that has done this? I want to have all my ducks in a row before I start anything formal so any recommendations you all have would be appreciated.

if anyone is curious I’ve made this money in investments and now I’m being recruited into some cool startups. I am not joking when I say I love the Air Force, but we only have so much time on this earth and I feel I want to take a gamble and try something new.

Dude be careful. I don't know how much research you've done WRT private equity but you go down with the ship as an investor if the project fails. Curious to know more details though, like will you be an LP or something?

On 10/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, DET1 said:

As the title says I accepted a bonus

If by "bonus" you mean the aviation bonus, back when I signed the decision was at SecAF level.  [DP2SSM Form 3004]

image.png.72f5a1a527c2725b74c096d5fdbf8358.png

Recommendation would be to base your case on AF vice individual reasons.  Career field overmanned, your separation will not adversely affect the mission before next assignment cycle, Wg/CC supports, etc.  

On 10/2/2021 at 11:19 AM, DirkDiggler said:

Would try to avoid this route if you can.  Could lead to a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, not a straight Honorable.  If this was posted in jest I'll pre-emptively call myself out for sarcasm detector inop.

Unless it is deliberate then it has to be an honorable. We had a guy get shown the door right before covid for this. 

On 10/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, Swizzle said:

He was, almost...from Cannon of all places.

https://www.worldpokertour.com/player/derrick-rosenbarger/#playerTab1

He was my squadron mate of mine at the time and a bunch of us were watching the final table online. We were cheering like a bunch of drunk college kids when he won. You absolutely love to see it. He did stay in at least for a while, I’ve kinda lost touch with him so now I have no idea long-term.

To the OP, I would talk to your CC, the wing retention manager and the JAG as required. Don’t do anything stupid to get soft “kicked out.” If you’ve had a good career and enjoyed it and are just trying to move on despite a bonus-driven ADSC, work the process and don’t burn any bridges. It’s always a good time to do things the right way. If you’re crushing it in terms of outside talent and have a fantastic opportunity, I’m sure you’ll have similar opportunities when Uncle Sam does let you move on to greener pastures, hopefully sooner rather than later if the only hooks they have in you is money that you’re willing to pay back.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, DET1 said:

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. Not that he came into money, only that he wanted to separate and had three years of bonus left. He was otherwise eligible and clear of all other ADSCs. He went on vMPF, and applied for separation. It got approved and he just outprocessed. Not long after his terminal leave was finished, he was contacted to pay back the unearned portions of his bonus. He wrote a check and that was the last he ever dealt with the USAF.

So maybe try that route. Try and separate, if it clears AFPC and you come back eligible, then you just solved your own problem without having to receive scrutiny from higher levels of leadership.

26 minutes ago, Waingro said:

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. Not that he came into money, only that he wanted to separate and had three years of bonus left. He was otherwise eligible and clear of all other ADSCs. He went on vMPF, and applied for separation. It got approved and he just outprocessed. Not long after his terminal leave was finished, he was contacted to pay back the unearned portions of his bonus. He wrote a check and that was the last he ever dealt with the USAF.

So maybe try that route. Try and separate, if it clears AFPC and you come back eligible, then you just solved your own problem without having to receive scrutiny from higher levels of leadership.

Mind if I asked what career field your friend was in?  I applied earlier this year and was denied for lack of justification. Thinking of trying this option again. Retirement eligible, and would be looking to pay back the last year of the contract.