What is the actual formula DFAS uses to calculate gross retired pay? SOLVED!

Herkdrvr

Question

I understand High-3 is the average of the highest 36 months of base pay. 

Turns out replicating that calculation to match DFAS turned out giving me more headache than anticipated.

First, I grabbed base pay amounts from the DFAS tables that covered my last 36 months of service: '18, '19, '20, '21. 

Then, I created a spreadsheet that calculates retired pay as follows:

• From Date: Date I started receiving a certain base pay
  • To Date: Date that base pay ended (i.e. new calendar year w/NDAA-directed raise).
  • # Days = From - To.
    • [Excel will calculate 10 Sep - 1 Sep as 9 days. Does DFAS include the last day, making it 10?]
  • Time factor = # Days / 365.
    • [Does DFAS use 360 days in a year? Or do they use a 31 day month? Leap years?]
  • Total = Base pay * time factor

I made a row using the above columns for each change in base pay. 

Then, I summed all the totals, divided by 3 years, and multiplied by the retired percentage.
  • Does DFAS prorate per month / year for the 2.5? For instance, 20 years and 3 months would be 50.25%? How about extra days?

My calculation ended up close, but not exactly as DFAS calculated.  

I called DFAS and they are going to send me some paperwork on the calculation, but if there's anyone who already figured out what the actual formula is, I'd be grateful.

Otherwise, I'll update once DFAS gives me some insights.  

EDIT to add: Chida's reference helped me fix the issue.
Looks as though DFAS only counts whole months vice days, except in months when you have a pay change, then they go by the day.  However, all months must total 30 days.  Once you've found your pay base (rounded to the cent) then you apply the retirement multiplier and round down to the nearest dollar.  I'm sure the government saves millions a year using this method as all those pennies no doubt would add up.  

Thanks again Chida.  

Edited by Herkdrvr

6 answers to this question

There should be someone at your base who handles that. For me, our base TAP coordinator put me in contact with him and he was able to send me screenshots of the program he used to estimate my retirement pay for a few different retirement scenarios.
Basically, it’s done by calculating your actual base pay in each of the previous 36 months multiplied by the percentage which is prorated to the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app