Flying Own Plane during UPT?

Flyman

Wondering if there is time on the weekends during UPT to fly my own plane? I would prefer it not sit in storage for a whole year so trying to figure out what to do with it. 

Also would flying General Aviation at the same time hinder training in any way?

Yup, you'll have time...might be a welcome break from the daily grind of UPT.  I agree, it would suck to have your plane sitting in storage for a year, take it with you and keep her flying!  Funny enough, you may have to fill out a "high risk activity" form so the Air Force knows you're doing "dangerous" things lol.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BLUF is its very possible, couple things to consider,

As SocialID mentioned, AETC will make you fill out a high-risk activities worksheet.  Some UPT Flt/CCs may give you the stink eye about flying on your own time.  Overall I wouldn't sweat this too much though.

Bigger issue is available time.  You're gonna be pretty tired by the time Friday afternoon roles around and you most likely won't be able to get a sortie off the ground that day.  If you're not studying at least half the day Sunday you're probably behind.  So realistically, outside of long weekends/holidays there's just not that much time in the weekend for you to GA (Saturday is about it).  Not saying you shouldn't do it, just that there's not all that much time off and your motivation some weekends might not be there.

Don't worry about GA flying interfering with UPT; the AF will teach you to fly the AF way and after a couple years it'll be refreshing to hop in a GA airplane and not deal with all the AF BS to snag a $100 hamburger.

Thanks guys for the responses. Not sure which base I'll be at yet but will start looking at nearby airports. At least I'll be able to bring one girl with me to UPT... the other one can't be moved quite as easily 😂

I'd bring your plane for one simple reason: you're probably going to sit casual status before you start for a while and have absolutely nothing to do.  Once you start UPT, that's a different story.

If you asked me then, GA flying would have been the last thing would have wanted to do on weekends during UPT.  Realistically you're going to be flying or simming demanding graded events every workday and studying/chairflying for at least part of every weekend.  It gets tiring.  And unless you are an absolute addict, you're probably going to want at least a day or two off from flying per week.  

Still, casual status alone is good enough reason to bring your plane and keep your skills sharp.  And you might sit casual after UPT as well waiting on SERE and follow on training dates.  Hell, you might even FAIP and then you'll be really glad you brought your GA plane, because then you'll be able to escape the shithole towns they decided to put UPT bases in.

• Upvote 3

Taking a day "completely off" is a nice thought, but in my (recent) experience, the last half of T-6s involved flying almost every weekend. Figured it best you go in with reasonable expectations.

3 hours ago, Danger41 said:

My advice based on the context of what you’re saying is this: If it fucks, flies, or floats it’s cheaper to rent. 

True, but at least with my airplane, I get to decide who gets inside her.

The price for such control...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pooter said:

Hell, you might even FAIP and then you'll be really glad you brought your GA plane, because then you'll be able to escape the shithole towns they decided to put UPT bases in.

Thinking I lived a charmed life in UPT by going to Willie and living in Sin City (Tempe).

• Upvote 1