Your favorite internet forums?

TheLaughingCow

Guest PeggyDriver46

Certain parts of reddit and 4chan. I don't like to use any site with my actual name for reasons that should be obvious at this point. 

10 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

The quality of reddit varies immensely by subreddit.  I dislike the site as a whole, but some corners of it are fantastic.

Wait, you don't like being talked down to and downvoted into oblivion because you expressed a differing opinion from the hivemind? You don't like having political propaganda shoved in your face by the algorithms? Reddit is the perfect example of why large democracy does not work.

16 hours ago, TheLaughingCow said:

Looking for internet forums comprised mostly of intelligent, successful, helpful people.  Bonus points if it's relatively active.

I'm getting tired of mainstream social media like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Ditch all those except for maybe some subreddits that are not compromised, yet. Check out Gab.com

redditor.png

Edited by dogfish78

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

I read this as ‘go learn to fly a helicopter’

Solid advice for everyone!

I was just researching using my post 9/11 GI BIll to go get my Helicopter rating.  Seems as if it would fully cover it...hmm.

44 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Where? I’d like to know where there is a VA approved program.

https://www.northeasthelicopters.com/

https://hghelicopters.com/

Here are a few I found, one in Ohio and one in Conn.  Took some google searching and snooping around on here, then searching the individual schools, but they're out there.  

https://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do

Edited by SocialD

6 hours ago, SocialD said:

I was just researching using my post 9/11 GI BIll to go get my Helicopter rating.  Seems as if it would fully cover it...hmm.

Considering the cost of flying helicopters, that sounds like a good deal. 

20 hours ago, SocialD said:

I used it for my helo ratings.  Never paid a dime for comm/inst/CFI/CFI-I

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, TheLaughingCow said:

Looking for internet forums comprised mostly of intelligent, successful, helpful people.  Bonus points if it's relatively active.

I'm getting tired of mainstream social media like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

ZeroHedge is a daily read for me, more or less.  It aggregates a lot of good stuff from all over.

Market Ticker is a blog by one guy.  The comments section is only OK, but I think his writing offers a good view on politics, the economy, etc.  Some of his "must read" archived stuff is really good (links of the right hand side of his main page).

Reddit can be worthwhile, but as others have pointed out, Reddit as a whole is very biased, and wrong-think tends to get one downvoted, banned, etc.  MGTOW had its issues, but there was a lot of good content there about society, relationships between men and women, etc.  It was banned about a month ago.  NoNewNormal was a pretty popular subreddit (100k+ members), with content revolving around skepticism of Covid lockdowns, vaccines, etc.  As of just today (like a couple of hours ago), it's been banned.

Edited by Blue

Guest LumberjackAxe

Your best bet is to get you and your trusted friends going on a group text discussion. I no longer post anything on FB but I do upload photos to my family's group chat in Signal and post updates in other group chats. It's just a better way to do it.