Laughlin UPT info

benfng

17 hours ago, LimaLowdown said:

All I can say is to absolutely bring a boat if you can, everyone else will thank you...

Haha cool. I have one, and its not going to do me any good sitting in a shed back in MI. 

16 hours ago, DuckHunter said:

Yep.  There’s uncovered storage space n base, and covered storage on the way to the lake if your boat is nicer.

That’s what your Saturdays are going to be for, hanging on the lake with your classmates to blow off steam.

Good to know. Uncovered is all she needs. Its not the prettiest boat on the lake, but it gets the job done. 

1 hour ago, Standby said:

Definitely bring the boat, but temper expectations. The lake is close to the historic low (2013) since it’s been dammed, and finding a suitable ramp could be difficult depending on the size of your boat.

Thanks for the heads up. Its a 19' speed boat, so not the biggest. I'll keep an eye out. 

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, SNAP314 said:

Curious what the current training timeline is for those entering UPT at Laughlin right now. Has 2.5 shortened UPT timeline for those that are starting now?

Depends on how the syllabus keeps evolving. 2.5 is in flux almost every day it seems. I started same exact time as the first 2.5 class here (I'm last 2.0(1) class) and I think they should finish a few weeks before us potentially. Delays happen all the time though. And 38s are delayed a bit as of current. 

2 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Depends on how the syllabus keeps evolving. 2.5 is in flux almost every day it seems. I started same exact time as the first 2.5 class here (I'm last 2.0(1) class) and I think they should finish a few weeks before us potentially. Delays happen all the time though. And 38s are delayed a bit as of current. 

Thanks for the info! So basically still looking at ~12 months as of right now regardless 2.0/2.5?

17 hours ago, SNAP314 said:

Thanks for the info! So basically still looking at ~12 months as of right now regardless 2.0/2.5?

Until UPT2.5 cuts-out T-1 flights and associated parts (i.e. sims) it'll be about same timeline roughly but actually more events in UPT2.5 than 2.0

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, Anon said:

Has anyone seen a casual on APT status successfully request an IFT waiver if they have a PPL? I won't have flown for ~3 years by the time I start UPT and am hoping that might help my case. If waivers are nonexistent, I'll probably look to fly an hour or two just to break the dust off. I'm not at Laughlin yet so any insight would be appreciated.

As in you want to go to IFT? A guy in my class currently got his PPL like 5-6 years ago and hadn't flown in about 3 like you said and they told him he cant go. You can try, but it'll more than likely get denied. 

3 hours ago, Inertia17 said:

I had same request denied a few years back. Unlikely with their focus on throughput right now.

People WANT to go to IFS now? Man how times have changed.  I had just finished my PPL and still had to go back when it was a washout program.  It ended up being a fun time with some cool bros but not sure it was worth the investment for the Air Force.  My understanding is now it’s more of a teaching program.  Hopefully they got rid of some of the civilian IPs with sticks up their bums.

• 7 months later...
I am heading to Laughlin in March, and my orders say T-1 Sims only. I was under the impression that Laughlin would be the last UPT base to get rid of their T-1's and go sims only. Can anyone confirm or deny?

From my understanding, the first sim only class will start in November. Depending on how long the T-6 2.5 syllabus is, that might correlate with a March T-6 start date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, B747CSO said:

I am heading to Laughlin in March, and my orders say T-1 Sims only. I was under the impression that Laughlin would be the last UPT base to get rid of their T-1's and go sims only. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Pretty sure Laughlin will be the first to lose T-1s with their legacy cockpits. But who really knows. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

From my understanding, the first sim only class will start in November. Depending on how long the T-6 2.5 syllabus is, that might correlate with a March T-6 start date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That checks with what my orders depict, since my T-1 start date would be November 2nd. Looks like the next actual stick time I'll get after the T-6 is going to be the 135. Should be interesting to say the least.... 

5 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Thanks. T-6 changes?

Seems like the T-6 2.5 syllabus has stabilized.

FWIW Gen Miller mentioned the other day that they've managed to save some T-1s beyond 2026.

XPW for T-1s will live on in some form, but your standard issue UPT stud will probably get the Redbird treatment before he/she goes to Altus.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ryleypav said:

Just finished up UPT (Legacy syllabus) at Laughlin if anyone has any burning questions about Laughlin or UPT as a whole. 

Was it worth delaying a line # 11.5 years?

(Jk, kind of)

I know Red6 is deeply involved with augmented reality (AR) in the fighter pilot training environment but are they working with the Air Force on UPT 2.5 and/or sim only UPT?

the more realistic the simulated flight environment is, the better you’d expect outcomes to be for the student. The better AR gets i can see it being used more and more for all types of training including pilots, firefighters, surgeons, swat/police, etc. It’s not cheap, but cheaper than actual flight and if advances continue, i expect more AR type training and less actual flight time for all future pilots.