Simone Biles

Danger41

Is the "twisties" for a gymnast sort of like the "drops" for a wide receiver?

I watched some of the men completely obliterate themselves off the high bar, losing themselves in the air while twisting about three times higher than the vault and then get right back up to do it again. There was no commentator/media fawning -- just a yawn and "better luck next Olympics."

Edited by skibum

Wow, this thread suddenly become silent after a key piece of information was revealed.

Quick, does anyone here know any Olympians???? Surely, we could all benefit from a highly informed point of view following these new revelations!

23 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Wow, this thread suddenly become silent after a key piece of information was revealed.

Quick, does anyone here know any Olympians???? Surely, we could all benefit from a highly informed point of view following these new revelations!

I actually do (including a 4 time gold medalist who is no longer with us —Al Oerter). Each time he won a gold medal, there was some crazy circumstances making it more difficult, but he stepped up and did it. He won his 3rd gold with torn cartilage in his ribs and a neck brace from a car wreck. The pain was too bad to make his final throw and the doctors said he shouldn’t compete but he said “These are the olympics. You die for them.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Oerter

I know that’s all just toxic masculinity and white male privilege, but it’s an incredible story. He also kept the 4 gold medals in an unlocked desk drawer and the Olympic torch from 1996 leaning on the corner of his office (which was mainly family pictures and his own art). I actually dropped one of them as a kid and he just laughed and told me it was okay. He was a great man. 

We will never agree and I don’t have a leg to stand on because my athletic achievements were nowhere near that level. My issue is with this cultural movement of glorifying quitting and the individual over the team. I’m absolutely not faulting her for her choice and applaud her sincerely for earning the bronze on the beam later. That’s incredibly impressive and a credit to her to do that. I also don’t want to minimize the impact of a family member’s death or physical impairment (whether injury or equilibrium problems or whatever). 

I’m supremely happy about the focus on mental health and hope this, Naomi Osaka, etc help to remove the stigma about discussing and helping those who need it. I don’t view her as “weak” or “can’t hack it”. I understand it’s a story but Suni Lee, Jade Carey and others on the same team went on to win gold medals in women’s gymnastics but all the discussion was on Simone. It is what it is.

The last thing that really irks me about this situation is any kind of racism and/or sexism implication to those that didn’t think her decision was heroic. That’s another cultural thing but who knows if we’re ever going to back off from that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1