Federal Employee to UPT/ Maximizing Benefits

I am a current federal GS employee and will be going to OTS/UPT for the reserves. I plan on coming back to the govt job after transitioning to a part time reservist after seasoning. 

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks on maximizing the benefits while in training (i.e. how to clock/use Military leave, annual leave, and LWOP strategically your advantage)?

Examples: Should you mix LWOP with annual leave? Use all banked annual leave at once so you earn more time off? Use a little annual leave every pay period so you're always in a pay status?  Be in a pay status in pay periods with holidays? Etc?

Hoping somone on here has previous experience with this and would be willing to provide some insight. 

Thanks!

Slightly rusty on this, but in general I would take all your leave types in succession (LWOP last) - you “double dip” for as long as that gravy train lasts. The whole be on annual leave to be in pay status around a holiday is not what it used to be. As of a few years ago, being on leave around a holiday did not net me more leave, pay, or comp time. Heard that was a thing in years prior though; to be clear I’m talking about on leave for a couple days prior to holiday weekend. Maybe it’s different if you’re on, say, 10 days of leave (paid status) that month…there’s probably a line in the sand somewhere. But, not sure all that asspain is worth a few more hours of accrued leave. 

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Slightly rusty on this, but in general I would take all your leave types in succession (LWOP last) - you “double dip” for as long as that gravy train lasts. The whole be on annual leave to be in pay status around a holiday is not what it used to be. As of a few years ago, being on leave around a holiday did not net me more leave, pay, or comp time. Heard that was a thing in years prior though; to be clear I’m talking about on leave for a couple days prior to holiday weekend. Maybe it’s different if you’re on, say, 10 days of leave (paid status) that month…there’s probably a line in the sand somewhere. But, not sure all that asspain is worth a few more hours of accrued leave. 

Do you still accrue Annual leave while taking Military Leave?

I guess the idea behind taking annual leave to get in a pay status during a holiday pay period was that I could get a free 8 hrs of LH (holiday leave) at my GS rate, which is a lot higher than an O1 rate. Sounds like that may not work though from your experience? 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, brabus said:

You don’t accrue annual leave when on mil leave. I had the same thought regarding LH, but no dice a few years ago. My understanding is what you described was a thing at some point. 

Well dang that's a bummer.

You dont lose banked Annual or Sick leave while you're on extended LWOP right? 

Just make sure you are on KG (Absent US) and not the civilian LWOP code.  At the beginning of each FY you cross over you will still get your 120 hours of LM.  I'm too lazy to look it up but one thing you could check into as well is the additional 22 days you can get of differential pay.  If the orders qualify you get the difference in pay between your military pay and government pay.  So you might be able to get those as well each FY while you are on orders....Another way to stretch out as much as possible is to make sure you hold back enough leave to drop a day of leave on either the front or backside of a holiday.  That way you can claim the holiday as LH instead of KG......

• Thanks 1