Correspondence for points?

So I have my 20 year letter in hand, but severely procrastinated on transferring my GI Bill benefits to my kids before I had to incur a 4 year commitment in order to do so. I would have a hard time leaving that money on the table by retiring, but I am SO ready to leave the AF in my rear view mirror.

I recently talked with a guy (USMC) who said that he transferred to the IRR after 20 years of service, and did correspondence courses for points. Has anybody heard of such a thing in the Air Force? 

Responses are appreciated. Feel free to PM me. Cheers folks!

Impossible to do straight IRR in the USAFR and do PME. (One exception may be if you’re in sanctuary and your SELRES unit closes and there’s none within commuting distance). If you want to do points, You’ll need to join a PIRR program at a minimum. Two programs are available to line of the AF guys: CAP-RAP and ALO (admissions liaison officer).

If you’re looking to serve out a GI Bill xfer ADSC, though, PIRR doesn’t count. It has to be RegAF or SELRES or ANG.

IDK if AU’s switch to ASU still means a CAC is required to do PME or not. Straight IRR does not get a CAC so historically that was a barrier. An additional barrier to doing straight IRR is ARPC policy that if you are retirement eligible, you will be allowed to stay in IRR for a max of 365 days, at which point they’ll transfer you to RetRsv.

9 hours ago, Chida said:

Impossible to do straight IRR in the USAFR and do PME. (One exception may be if you’re in sanctuary and your SELRES unit closes and there’s none within commuting distance). If you want to do points, You’ll need to join a PIRR program at a minimum. Two programs are available to line of the AF guys: CAP-RAP and ALO (admissions liaison officer).

If you’re looking to serve out a GI Bill xfer ADSC, though, PIRR doesn’t count. It has to be RegAF or SELRES or ANG.

Hey what’s a CAP-RAP? Does that have something to do with the Civil Air Patrol?

Civil Air Patrol--Reserve Assistance Program/Personnel

It's a reserve officer in the PIRR employed by CAP-USAF (a RegAF unit) for the purpose of oversight of CAP. You can earn points-only on IDTs and points & pay on MPA.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I was able to initiate the transfer before that rule went into effect. its currently showing 36 months to be transferred to my kids.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll continue my search for a points/no pay job out there. That GI-Bill is simply to valuable to pass up.

PIRR is the points programs=Cat E=CAPRAP & ALO.
What you’ll need is SELRES=Cat A&B. Cat A=DSG and TR. Cat B=IMA.
I can suggest a Cat B (IMA) for reduced duty time compared to Cat A (TR or DSG). One such Cat B duty is SSS or selective service system liaison. If that isn’t available in your area, you could commute to any number of IMA jobs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...